• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRINTER CREASES!

9 posts in this topic

I have a question about this phenomena. I have a few books purchased from one dealer that have creases such as this. I do not press books so I have no idea of pressing can cause this issue as well.

The books are silver to bronze age Marvels. Most of them are a little too valuable to check the creases to see if they are white underneath. I have tried to sell a few of these on ebay, but have had no luck.

I have recently become a member of the forum and now have access to people that know about stuff like this. :applause: If this can be caused by pressing, I will need to check the creases on a few of these to see if they are white inside. If I find they have been pressed, I will need to disclose this in any attempts I make to sell them.

So the question is: Can pressing cause this type of crease? If so, what does it do to the value of the book?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

A printers crease is exactly that. A crease that was either already present or caused during the printing process. If the ink covers the crease area odds are it was a manufacturing defect.

Pressing, if done incorrectly can introduce a new crease to a book. Most likely these type of creases are in a straight line and are the result of something being on top of the book or a page folding over. They look very different from a printers crease. If done correctly pressing will never produce a crease like the one you are describing.

looks like the typical production creases to me...nothing to hurt the book in my opinion...perhaps not grading wise but from the "attractiveness" of the book, some people might not like it. I have plenty of books with those creases.

Those are production creases - CGC regards them as a production defect, so they won't hurt the (technical) grade. Still not the most attractive of defects, though.

Okay, it seems unamimous. They are production creases. Yeah, they're ugly and I guess that's why everyone avoids them like the plague.

(shrug)

Still the Marvel Preview is an awesome copy with this being the only major defect.

Awesome comic. Gil Kane art. First appearance of good old Ironfist. I've had it priced as low as $25@VF+ noting the crease and no takers.

:o

Spidey was priced at $20@7.0.

:screwy:

Thanks for the input and information guys. It's deffinately appreciated.

Mark

I think on Ebay with all the distrusts, potential buyers might see those flaws as rips or tears and avoided the books. I think you might get a better chance selling the books with the "educated" buyers here. Give it a try...production creases are not attractive but because of your not so white cover and back, the creases look worse. I find that the creases on dark color books easily blended/hidden in most cases and not so glaring like yours.