• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Everyone says Moderns aren't going to be worth anything, meanwhile.....

47 posts in this topic

Yes, there are simple ways to fix these problems. Either the value of every book before the 1970's drops in value dramatically so that kids can afford them 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif......

A lot of them *are* cheap enough for kids to afford them. They are called:

1. Low grade copies.

2. Reprint books

3. Ebay auctions other people are ignoring.

Often, the Silver-early Bronze (sometimes even Gold) goes for cheaper than the cover price of today's comics.

Charlie

Well it makes me wonder... in a big picture kind of way, once we current collectors die off, will there not be as big of a collector market 25-35 years from now??, since there is not a large base of kids growing up now , who will grow up, get older, and a bit more wealthy, , and want to re-collect what they had in their youth?

I guess a box of comics does not have the magic allure now, like it did back when there was no computers, x-box games and plasma/lcd t.vs.

But hey!, I when grew up we still had 8-tracks, atari first came out, LCD watches were new, and pet rocks were hip, and I didnt buy comics at that age much either.

I grew up , turned around 30, and got back into comics .

So I can only hope the youth today re-discovers comics like I did, when they grow up and get a bit nostalgic.

"

Although I do pick up 2 copies of certain books at times, I have to say I subscribe to the "Buy what you like" notion. As much as I do love comics, mostly due to the artists, I would love to have a Hulk 181 or even a decent Ghost Rider #1, but the ridiculouse prices being asked for and gotten for these books keeps me away. Not to mention everyone and his brother tossses that CGC tag on there and all of a sudden a "place any name here", grades a 9.8 and it's wortha ton...according to the mindless lemings who buy these things.

I heard a recent example last week when having this discussion with my local shop, and was told someone pre-ordered 500 copies of ASM #500 based on the artists involved, making it to 500 and some other reasons, and the guy flips them for $15.00 a piece, stupid, maybe, worth the agrivation?? Not so sure, in the end he makes 4k...but how, at $15-$30 a week?? Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I don't know, I'll sell my multiples as I get around to it, not to reetire or send my kids to college, but to make a couple bucks to buy something else, most likely they are trade fodder for something else, in the end I still just pick up what Ilike.

And could it be said that there is a major schism in the comic book community right now? Those who are "collecting" aren't reading new books and those who are "reading" new books aren't collecting old ones?

That is by far the best and most sensible quote ive ever read on these boards. thumbsup2.gifcool.gif

This goes back to the old "What Will Be the Next Gold/Silver/Bronze Key", as it's been since the early 90's where new comics could really influence back issue sales and key issue identification.

Or another example, CGC still lists ASM 122 as the Death of the Green Goblin, when he's alive and kicking in Modern comics. This horrific retcon has had little effect on deleting ASM 122 as a Key issue, and most Bronze collectors probably think he's still dead.

How many times has a major villain "disappeared, and presumed dead", only to show up later? Why does OS, Wizard and CGC not list those, while maintaining the ASM 122 status?

Because Bronze Age collectors don't give a rat's butt what those hacks at Marvel do in Modern comics.

Excellent point. Sold in 15 minutes from being listed.

foreheadslap.gif Your "15 minute man" got NARU'd! shocked.gif

As bad as that may seem, it doesn't strike me as ridiculous as the prices that the Valiant "Nintendo" books were going for back in 1993. I saw one of those books sell for $50, no kidding. And the buyer was exstatic to get it. I wonder how he feels today?

are there really 500 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons paying $15 for a $3 comic that can be found anywhere??

And could it be said that there is a major schism in the comic book community right now? Those who are "collecting" aren't reading new books and those who are "reading" new books aren't collecting old ones?

That is by far the best and most sensible quote ive ever read on these boards. thumbsup2.gifcool.gif

This goes back to the old "What Will Be the Next Gold/Silver/Bronze Key", as it's been since the early 90's where new comics could really influence back issue sales and key issue identification.

Or another example, CGC still lists ASM 122 as the Death of the Green Goblin, when he's alive and kicking in Modern comics. This horrific retcon has had little effect on deleting ASM 122 as a Key issue, and most Bronze collectors probably think he's still dead.

How many times has a major villain "disappeared, and presumed dead", only to show up later? Why does OS, Wizard and CGC not list those, while maintaining the ASM 122 status?

Because Bronze Age collectors don't give a rat's butt what those hacks at Marvel do in Modern comics.

Excellent point. Sold in 15 minutes from being listed.

foreheadslap.gif Your "15 minute man" got NARU'd! shocked.gif

Yep, but he paid! grin.gif