• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOOMWAR! Siege? What Siege?

24 posts in this topic

Somebody at Marvel must have really wanted to see Dr. Doom reclaim his place as the preeminent Marvel villain because in the last 4 months I've never seen Doom written this well. Ever.

The last three issues of both Thor and Black Panther have been amazing IMO and the 1st issue (of 6) of DOOMWAR completely blew me away. I've been enjoying Siege but this has been something else. And because of Siege I think it has flown under the radar as well.

Never has Doom come across as crafty, sinister, powerful and downright EVIL as he does here. And it's made for some very cool reading. Whomever is responsible for getting Jonathan Maberry to write Black Panther and now DOOMWAR should be commended.

Maberry is one the best writers of Zombie fiction there is among other genres and has become one of my favorite authors. His most recent book "Patient Zero" melds Zombies with Bio-Terrorism in such a frightening way that I was unable to put the book down. Few books honestly scare me. This one did. Simply amazing and right up there with World War Z.

So when I pick up Black Panther a few months ago and see his name? I do a double take and literally shout for joy. The Black Panther has easily become one of my top 5 reads lately. The Issues #9 thru 12 run right into DOOMWAR and the first issue was amazing. It has been a long time since the last page of a Marvel Comics blew me away like this.

And in addition to T'Challa and Wakanda he writes Subby and the X-Men perfectly. Sign that guy up on Uncanny X-Men NOW. I'm sure that the majority of the boards here don't even THINK of moderns. But if you're willing to give ONE book a chance this should be it.

And I'll back it up too. Be the first person to :takeit: and I will send my reading copy to you. US and Canucks only though....and if you like it send it along to someone else. This book kicks !!!! I think Moderns carry too much of a bad stigma here. Sure, there is lots of spoon out there. You just need to find the good stuff!

What does this have to do with walks on the beach and fisting?

:shrug:

+1 on the recent Thor books.

Don't forget Doom's rise has been set up since his power boost with the Master Of Doom arc from Fantastic Four. Great read.

Also, I love the interior art on the DoomWar books by Scot Eaton (please get me started on the JRJR covers :sick:)

Victor Von Doom is back on top as being the preeminent Marvel villian.

What does this have to do with walks on the beach and fisting?

:shrug:

I'm trying to contribute something of value to the community after inspiring 10 pages of irrelevance and nonsense that inspired one poster to lament that he will never get that 7 minutes of his life back and inspire another to respond to the aforementioned 7 minute poster with probably the post of the year? (shrug)

+1 on the recent Thor books.

Don't forget Doom's rise has been set up since his power boost with the Master Of Doom arc from Fantastic Four. Great read.

Also, I love the interior art on the DoomWar books by Scot Eaton (please get me started on the JRJR covers :sick:)

Victor Von Doom is back on top as being the preeminent Marvel villian.

+1 on everything you said. Eaton's work is unique and I am digging it. To be fair the inks by Lanning & Campanella have a lot to do with it too. It comes across as sorta....Buscema-ish maybe?

Eaton's work is unique and I am digging it. To be fair the inks by Lanning & Campanella have a lot to do with it too. It comes across as sorta....Buscema-ish maybe?

Eaton, Lanning, and Campanella huh? I pick and choose Moderns these days. But they are a good combo! From my Modern Forum post...

doomwar-20100208002904239.jpg

doomwar-20100208002908332.jpg

I can see where you are coming from with Buscema. His Avengers stuff?

Eaton's work is unique and I am digging it. To be fair the inks by Lanning & Campanella have a lot to do with it too. It comes across as sorta....Buscema-ish maybe?

Eaton, Lanning, and Campanella huh? I pick and choose Moderns these days. But they are a good combo! From my Modern Forum post...

doomwar-20100208002904239.jpg

doomwar-20100208002908332.jpg

Yep. Exactly. I was thinking circa issues #260-300. The "Masters Of Evil Storyline" anyone?

I completely agree with you about Doomwar...

I'm not reading Thor or BP, but I just read Doomwar this morning; it was freaking great. The art was great, the story was great... if it just wasn't for the horrible cover to #2...

but yes, this is a win for Marvel so far. Very much looking forward to reading this. :)

Yep. Exactly. I was thinking circa issues #260-300. The "Masters Of Evil Storyline" anyone?

"Masters Of Evil Storyline" :cloud9: ahh the biggest, baddest Masters of Evil to date.

Hercules' beating at the hands of the Golaith and the Wrecking Crew is part of Avengers lore. And Jarvis got some too from Mr Hyde!

But can't forget the payback from Cap gave Mr. Hyde in his solo book. Mano a Mano.

I completely agree with you about Doomwar...

I'm not reading Thor or BP, but I just read Doomwar this morning; it was freaking great. The art was great, the story was great... if it just wasn't for the horrible cover to #2...

but yes, this is a win for Marvel so far. Very much looking forward to reading this. :)

Dont collect either Thor or BP but Ive been heard great stuff about both titles recently. I read my buddies Thor books when I go by his house. If you can glance through the last few issues with the Doom arc. Great stuff.

BP has been under the radar. I remember this easily being the best read in that Secret Invasion fiasco.

I always liked Dr.Doom (thumbs u

Dude,even is his last name is Doom,how is that not awesome :headbang:

lol

Have you read Master of Doom?

No,is it any good?

Millar and Hitch's run on FF has been a boost for the title I think! Great reads from the 2 HCs that Ive read.

The prelude to this current Dr. Doom push by Marvel I believe begins in Fantastic Four from the middle to the end of the World Greatest's story arc in FF through Master of Doom, then titles Black Panther, Thor, to now Fall Of The Hulks AND DoomWar!

I always liked Dr.Doom (thumbs u

Dude,even is his last name is Doom,how is that not awesome :headbang:

lol

Have you read Master of Doom?

No,is it any good?

Millar and Hitch's run on FF has been a boost for the title I think! Great reads from the 2 HCs that Ive read.

The prelude to this current Dr. Doom push by Marvel I believe begins in Fantastic Four from the middle to the end of the World Greatest's story arc in FF through Master of Doom, then titles Black Panther, Thor, to now Fall Of The Hulks AND DoomWar!

Well said! One small thing to mention: "Siege: The Cabal" is a great one-shot stand alone that ties into all of this. That's another one that Doom just kicks tail in. The cool thing is that you can pick up just DOOMWAR and not be flying blind. You pick up #1 and they do a very good job of bringing you up to speed but not making you feel that you've missed out.

I just went back and took a look at the last 3 pages of DOOMWAR #1 and boy, that is the way to close out the first issue in a six issue mini! Holy Spoon! :headbang:

"Masters Of Evil Storyline" :cloud9: ahh the biggest, baddest Masters of Evil to date.

Hercules' beating at the hands of the Golaith and the Wrecking Crew is part of Avengers lore. And Jarvis got some too from Mr Hyde!

But can't forget the payback from Cap gave Mr. Hyde in his solo book. Mano a Mano.

Dare I say that is the greatest Avengers storyline? One of my top Marvel storylines ever along with the Nefaria Saga from #164-166 and the Korvac saga from #167-177. The First Thanos Saga by Starlin and the Infinity Gauntlet round it out. I seem to remember Hyde getting his comuppance in Avengers #277 as well. For those interested, its Avengers #273-277.