• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here we go again - Guy trying to sell Tec 47 as better grade after de-slabbing.

73 posts in this topic

Last one we saw like this was the CGC 0.5 Cap 3 on ebay that was deslabbed

Anyways here is a Tec 47 on eBay which the seller describes as a GOOD 2.0 grade with tan to off white pages "with slight brittle effect"

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETECTIVE-COMICS-47-FULL-PG-ADD-FOR-ALL-STAR-3-N-R_W0QQitemZ360241268358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e00d8686

Or really?

Well what do you make of this then?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=821945

Comic was CGC'd at 1.0 with BRITTLE pages.

Sad part is he paid $113 on CL and it is $76 already with 9 days left on eBay.

:sick:

lol

It is no problem to flip a book but if someone does it would be nice to have the full disclosure like for example....

"This book was graded CGC 1.0 w/ Brittle Pages but in my opinion it is a 2.0 with better page quality"

Just blatantly de-slabbing the book and proclaiming it to be better than what CGC said it was is not the right thing to do!

lol

It is no problem to flip a book but if someone does it would be nice to have the full disclosure like for example....

"This book was graded CGC 1.0 w/ Brittle Pages but in my opinion it is a 2.0 with better page quality"

Just blatantly de-slabbing the book and proclaiming it to be better than what CGC said it was is not the right thing to do!

There are also some sellers cracking open purple label books and selling them as raw un-restored too. They're deceiving the buyer, so this is what they deserve. :makepoint:

:applause: Yes they do!

It's absolutely :sick: and takes some of the fun out of collecting.

I usually always try to buy only CGC'd books on the internet (especially eBay) unless it is from a reliable source then I buy raw happily.

I have been pretty lucky so far.

The worst thing that has happened to me was on eBay. I bought a Tec 80 for a little over guide in VG (4.0) and I got the book in hand. It looks more like a 3.0 and it is missing two center wraps!!!!!!!!! :cry: THANK EBAY!!

:applause: Yes they do!

It's absolutely :sick: and takes some of the fun out of collecting.

I usually always try to buy only CGC'd books on the internet (especially eBay) unless it is from a reliable source then I buy raw happily.

I have been pretty lucky so far.

The worst thing that has happened to me was on eBay. I bought a Tec 80 for a little over guide in VG (4.0) and I got the book in hand. It looks more like a 3.0 and it is missing two center wraps!!!!!!!!! :cry: THANK EBAY!!

:cry:

the sad part is really that where ever there is money, there are crooks.

what is even sadder is even more so the fact that if you instead go about making your money in an honest & straight fowrward way, you make much more money over the course of your life

I wonder if this seller learned his trade from Danny "the *spooner*: Dupcak

what is even sadder is even more so the fact that if you instead go about making your money in an honest & straight fowrward way, you make much more money over the course of your life

So true! And not to mention people that do it in an honest way most likely live happier healthier lives! :grin:

I think it's a bit over the top to call someone a crook because they disagree with CGC on grade and page quality. Hell, CGC often disagrees with CGC on grade and page quality!

I'm torn on the issue of whether disclosure is required in this situation. On the one hand, I'd probably do it because I believe it's relevant information that may be important to a buyer. On the other hand, grade and PQ is just an opinion, it's not a fact like the book's been restored, so I don't think a seller is obligated to disclose it and I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't.

Always the contrarian, eh Tim? :baiting:

How would YOU feel if you bought a raw Duck that the seller listed at 9.6, only to find out later that CGC had graded it 7.0 with slight brittleness?

Like it or not, CGC is the accepted standard in the hobby and their grading is indeed "relevant". Duh.

One Big Name dealer is infamous for buying slabs from Heritage, and then de-slabbing them while bumping up the grades significantly and/or not disclosing restoration. That certainly sits well with the customer, huh?

"It's just an opinion..." :screwy:

Always the contrarian, eh Tim? :baiting:

How would YOU feel if you bought a raw Duck that the seller listed at 9.6, only to find out later that CGC had graded it 7.0 with slight brittleness?

Like it or not, CGC is the accepted standard in the hobby and their grading is indeed "relevant". Duh.

One Big Name dealer is infamous for buying slabs from Heritage, and then de-slabbing them while bumping up the grades significantly and/or not disclosing restoration. That certainly sits well with the customer, huh?

"It's just an opinion..." :screwy:

Wow, I never knew you were such a loyalist of CGC, Steve!

Seriously, though, I would hope that I could tell that a former CGC 7.0 is not the 9.6 that the seller is making it out to be. That's not a case of differening from CGC, that's just flat out misgrading. On the other hand, the difference between a 1.0 and 2.0, and whether pages are slightly brittle as opposed to brittle, are such small differences that I can believe there is a genuine difference of opinion.

Again, CGC agrees to different grades and PQs from its own initial assessment all the time, even without any manipulation to the book. CGC are not so infallible that their initial assessment has to be gospel truth. So if a seller has cracked out a book and is offering it up in the same general ballpark as CGC's grade and PQ, I think it could be justifiable. Whether it's best practice is a different matter, but I wouldn't call someone a crook just because they did it.

lol

I'm curious.What would you say if you won this auction,and upon receiving the book you agreed with his grade and page quality assessment?

lol

I'm curious.What would you say if you won this auction,and upon receiving the book you agreed with his grade and page quality assessment?

I would be proven wrong and I then go on here and say I agreed with his listing and it is all cool with the seller. He can be trusted and knows what he is talking about.

But I do not see how I would given CGC gave it a 1.0 w/ Brittle Pages

and he is saying it is a 2.0 with Tan to Off White pages.

lol

I would be proven wrong and I then go on here and say I agreed with his listing and it is all cool with the seller. He can be trusted and knows what he is talking about.

Where I am coming from is.......

No CGC is not 100% un-fallable BUT

1. CGC has a job of impartially grading comics and that is what they do to make money is grade and they are a very well established and trusted name in the comic business.

2. This seller on eBay does not have a well established name in the comic business. And his job is to sell comics. He makes his money on selling comics. So when I see he has forgone CGC's opinion and not even disclosed he has in his auction. I then believe that the seller is trying to make a profit on someone else's ignorance which is completely un-fair

Understood,and you're probably right, most of us would disagree with a 2.0 grade on a book like that.But I do feel that sometimes a CGC grade is incorrect,and would like to have the opportunity to sell a slabbed book raw with a slightly different grade,and not be labeled a crook.

Understood,and you're probably right, most of us would disagree with a 2.0 grade on a book like that.But I do feel that sometimes a CGC grade is incorrect,and would like to have the opportunity to sell a slabbed book raw with a slightly different grade,and not be labeled a crook.

And I understand your point as well. And I, myself, am in no way labeling this seller as a crook. And indeed in some instances I believe it is okay to possible sell a book un-slabbed slightly different in grade. My main purpose of pointing this out in the thread was to give a fair view to any potential bidders on this book. To give full disclosure. As I would like others to do for me. The only thing I am not to thrilled about with the seller is he literally just bought the book off of CL and he is already re-selling and giving it a higher grade. It is the way he is selling that begs me to think something might be a little off (even if it is not at all.) I just feel than in any instance that a book is de-slabbed from CGC (the most trusted commercial grader in the hobby) and re-sold raw in a higher grade it should be disclosed so when people find out that you de-slabbed w/o the seller saying so and causing red flags to be raised.

All solely my personal opinion