• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Marvel Coppers?

306 posts in this topic

Darkhawk 1 (1st Darkhawk)

Seriously? Darkhawk is sought after?
I'm one of the dolts who purchased it for $55. Sought after? Only by dolts like me. So not many.

I also sought it out. Sadly I have fond memories of both the cover and the character. :whee:

Now that I look back at my question, sorry if that came across judgmental of Darkhawk collectors.

We all have our hobby focus. Darkhawk just never held my attention.

Darkhawk 1 (1st Darkhawk)

Seriously? Darkhawk is sought after?
I'm one of the dolts who purchased it for $55. Sought after? Only by dolts like me. So not many.

I also sought it out. Sadly I have fond memories of both the cover and the character. :whee:

Now that I look back at my question, sorry if that came across judgmental of Darkhawk collectors.

We all have our hobby focus. Darkhawk just never held my attention.

Same with me, what I did was I went to that html comics site and read issue # 1 and know what? It was a good solid book that held my interest. I think what happened with DarkHawk was it came out around the time of the Image madness and somehow it got locked in as 1990`s dreck. I have noticed lately as I have started to read some of these kinda books that they were a lot better then I heard, maybe not everybook can be a Darkknight/Watchmen but that doesn`t mean they can`t be enjoyable as well. (thumbs u

Guardians of the Galaxy definitely came before Ghost Rider, but 1) wasn't even in the same universe of popularity. Further, 2) much like Son of Satan and Deathlok, Guardians were short-run try-out only characters in the 1970s who never achieved a true collector base the first time around. Vs. Ghost Rider, which was continually published for a decade and a anchored two series (his own and Champions).

And Thanos--my memory is Surfer 34 didn't take off in demand or value until after the publication of Surfer # 50, which came out the same month as Ghost Rider 15. Surfer 34 and Thanos Quest may have predated Ghost Rider 1, but I'd maintain that the revival of Adam Warlock and real use of Thanos as the lynchpin in the lead-up to Infinity Gauntlet happened after Ghost Rider had premiered to ridiculous popularity.

Guess it depends on when Infinity Gauntlet was "greenlit" by Marvel. If it was truly planned all the way back in Surfer 34 or Thanos Quest, he could have been the first major Bronze Marvel revival. But until Surfer 50/Infinity Gauntlet, he wasn't a major character.

You make some good points, but my particular point wasn't that GotG or SS rivaled GR in popularity...they clearly did not. It was just to suggest that GR wasn't the sole and only reason for the "Bronze Age Revival" that was then current in the Marvel U. In fact, that revival started with SS #34, which preceded GR by 3 months. Even though it was not considered important at the time it came out, that stunning run of Starlin's from #34-50 (I highly recommend it and Thanos Quest; it's the best thing Starlin ever wrote, in my opinion), ending with the smash hit crossover of 1991, Infinity Gauntlet, contributed a SERIOUS amount to the Bronze Age revival we're talking about.

Infinity Gauntlet was THE crossover event of 1991, and catapulted previously dead Starlin books from IM #55-up into the stratosphere. Dealers were literally showing up at shows with short boxes filled with just Warlock, or just Captain Marvel. It was HUGE.

To a lesser extent, GotG had the same effect, with previously dead Marvel Presents now selling for $10-$20 in "near mint" condition.

While it's true that Marvel Spotlight #5 was IMPOSSIBLE to find by the summer of 1990, that certainly wasn't the case for the rest of the "bronze keys" until much later. In fact, I believe I was able to find MS #6-11 for $1-$2 during that summer...but, of course, not for long.

From a 12 year old boys perspective who started collecting in 1990 time frame here are some of my memories.

My first comic was Amazing Spider-Man 347 which blew me away. Immediately after reading that issue I rode my bike back to the store 3 miles away and bought Amazing Spider-Man 346. Sadly 345 was already off the racks. Earlier Venom appearances became my holy grail thus forth. I recall paying $4 per issue for the Amazing Spider-Man #332ish issues with Venom and couldn't really afford the $20 a piece Amazing Spider-Man 315ish issues nor the Amazing Spider-Man 300 $100 issue. 300 was definitely my holy grail at that age.

Thanos was huge after Silver Surfer 50 hit the stands. Earlier issues was interesting but something about that silver stamped cover and storyline just pushed him over the top. The neighborhood kids started chasing down Silver Surfer 34 for about $5 and Thanos Quest for $20-25. Not much thought was put into Iron Man 55.

Ghost Rider 1 was hot! $20 per copy and only one of our friends had it. We all started collecting around issue 8, or 9. It peaked with the glow-in-dark cover #15. We shortly lost interest later.

New Mutants 87 was super hot and was around $75-50 an issue. We all collected issue 92ish to X-Force 1 and it's multiple bags.

Spider-Man 1 was also the bee's knees. We all awaited that title with eager anticipation.

New Warriors was probably the most exciting title all of the neighborhood kids read. I had issue 1 and it was selling for $20 per issue. We all wanted Thor 411-412 but the only kid we knew who had it wouldn't trade. I could never find those issues anywhere until the internet/eBay boom. We followed New Warriors until around issue 25 which is two years in kid-dom. Pretty long following.

Darkhawk was also another huge title. We all enjoyed issue 1 which sold in stores for $10-15 and 4 which either sold out early or something because it ended up being sold for $3-4 when it came out. It peaked around 13 with a venom cover.

Punisher 1 mini was $50 and highly desired.

Books older then 80's was considered to expensive and not really our taste. So the classic 70's rebirth titles were largely ignored by us. Although my cousins owned a few of them and I alone tried to purchase anything cheap when I saw it. The whole Ghost Rider craze for us kids was just the 1990s issue. I don't think we made the connection with the 70s version at the time.

Just my two cents. 2c

Why did I have the feeling that ROM was copper?!?!

doh!

Did that toy ever get off the ground?

Rom has an overwhelmingly Bronze feel to it, a feeling that continues, at least for me, until Rom #47 in 1983...at which point, the series took a radical turn that made it distinctly Copper.

Dire Wraiths Baby!! Sucking brains!! (thumbs u

Why did I have the feeling that ROM was copper?!?!

doh!

Did that toy ever get off the ground?

Rom has an overwhelmingly Bronze feel to it, a feeling that continues, at least for me, until Rom #47 in 1983...at which point, the series took a radical turn that made it distinctly Copper.

Dire Wraiths Baby!! Sucking brains!! (thumbs u

:cloud9: