• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Star Wars Coming To DVD

62 posts in this topic

Also it has the scene in the orignal comic no2.

I just went and looked at the original Marvel issue #2 and Jabba is in it...he looks like a humanoid creature with a yellow, furry face that looks vaguely like a cat. confused-smiley-013.gif I wonder what the original novel says? There's likely to be a narrative description of Jabba's appearance in that.

Its true I have the scene on the making of Star Wars video tape in the 80's way before the Special Edition.

But was this video produced before or after Return of the Jedi?

That's very important, since during Jedi production, Lucas started "changing his tune" on a lot of things.

And as for the SP notation of Jabba the Slug, what page is that on, and can you post an exerpt from your copy? I have a softcopy here, and there is nothing of the sort in it.

I just went and looked at the original Marvel issue #2 and Jabba is in it...he looks like a humanoid creature with a yellow, furry face that looks vaguely like a cat.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying Jabba was intended to be a human, only that Jabba the Slug as he exists in Jedi is a new creation, and one that was retroactively (in an unintentially comedic scene) inserted into the older Star Wars SE version.

Its true I have the scene on the making of Star Wars video tape in the 80's way before the Special Edition. Thats exacty what they say. Also it IS in the screenplay! Also it has the scene in the orignal comic no2.

I can't remember where, but there was an editorial comment in the comic, they were told Jabba was a humanoid creature. They did not know what he looked like, so they made up a look for Jabba. The scene was cut from the movie, but Marvel kept it. Jabba was supposed to be a creature, but they did not have a look for him and Lucas decided it was not worth the time to develop him because he didn't think there would be a sequel. Once he made Jedi, he had the look of Jabba.

I hope I never get to the point in my life that Lucas not wanting to release the original movies is a major concern.

Why would you, as you're obviously a big fan of the SE releases. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are correct on one thing; like Lucas don't deserve my money, and I guess I'll just have to laugh when he goes about his SE Part Two revisions of inserting all that putrid Phantom Menace/Clones footage into the already-hacked SE versions.

There are too many great movies out there, and classics being released uncut and unaltered on DVD, to worry about the mad ravings of a once-compelling storyteller.

afer jedi......but the scene was first aired on the making of star wars and empire I dont remember what was mentioned then. Jabba the slug wasn't determined until jedi but in Star Wars he was more than likely going to be a big creature with long arms that walked. So it was doubtful he wasn't going to be a slug at first. I sure you can dig updesign materical. There are 5 or 6 drafts or something like that. Theres a book called the Star Wars the Annoited Screenplays that I think has some stuff

Could you please consult the original screenplay and tell me where the Jabba as a Giant Slug scene is?

One thing I always wanted to know about the first Star Wars movie is who actually financed the film? Was it Lucas himself via a bank loan?

I'm not saying specifically in this case, but a lot of times producers and executive producers decide what hits the screen. All to often, we find out that it was because some pencil-pusher said it would cost to much in the way of character development, or in special effects budgeting, that an idea gets abandoned. Then perhaps its plausible that when Directors like Lucas, who have made it on their own steam, decide to take creative liberties in revising certain scenes from the original movie, they do so in an attempt to regain a sense of control that might have been missing the first time around, and that once heralded scene which Lucas might have felt was "appropriate", was somehow deemed unecessary by the powers that be at the time of the original filming. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think Fox financed it, but Lucas worked it into his contract that he retained the characters and all liscensing rights. Before ANH, this did not matter too much to studios and there was not much hope Star Wars was going to be a success. From then on, Lucas banked his own movies.

in Star Wars he was more than likely going to be a big creature with long arms that walked.

He might not have been thinking slug back in the mid-1970s, but this does seem like the most likely reason they would've yanked the scene from Star Wars. If they intended him to be somewhat humanoid, I don't see why they wouldn't put the time into designing him considering the multitude of VERY weird humanoid creatures in the Mos Eisley cantina that you only saw in very quick, one-shot glances such as Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, or some of the others.

He might not have been thinking slug back in the mid-1970s, but this does seem like the most likely reason they would've yanked the scene from Star Wars. If they intended him to be somewhat humanoid, I don't see why they wouldn't put the time into designing him considering the multitude of VERY weird humanoid creatures in the Mos Eisley cantina that you only saw in very quick, one-shot glances such as Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, or some of the others.

Maybe because Jabba had a walking, talking role? makepoint.gif

Check out the Making of.. documentaries, and you'll see the issues the CGI guys had in retroactively inserting Jabba into the scene. It was obviously tailored for a tall, thin, walking creature, and even after shrinking CGI Jabba down considerably, they still had to CGI-delete obstructions and other set pieces to get him to fit in.

As you know, in these cases, the actor is a stand-in, and the set is designed to accomodate the size and movements of the stop-motion FX creature.... so it's pretty obvious that Jabba the Slug was not even a consideration at that point.

Give the man credit He had the foresight to mass market Star Wars even before the movie was released. Toys and the comics were out well before the movie hit the big screen. I didnt care for the last two films but then again I'm not the 7 year old who was dumbstruck upon viewing Star Wars for the first time on the big screen. I think he's way too interested in the technical side of advancing FX in movies than making a great Star Wars film. That said, his ego cost him a lot of fans when he announced he would never release the original films in their original versions on DVD. I'm just curious how he plans on tying up all the loose ends in the current trilogy in just one 2 hr movie?? PS just a curious note for all the Star Wars geeks. If Jango Fett had trouble with Obi Wan and barely escaped thanks to his son and Slave 1's gun batterieswhat in the world was he thinking dropping down to face off with a Jedi armed with that puss gun?????????????????????? Princess Leia had a better shooter than that

Its true I have the scene on the making of Star Wars video tape in the 80's way before the Special Edition.

But was this video produced before or after Return of the Jedi?

That's very important, since during Jedi production, Lucas started "changing his tune" on a lot of things.

And as for the SP notation of Jabba the Slug, what page is that on, and can you post an exerpt from your copy? I have a softcopy here, and there is nothing of the sort in it.

From "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" written by George Lucas.

" A great mobile tub of muscle and suet topped by a shaggy scarred skull surveyed the semicircle of armed assasins with satisfaction. Moving forward from the center of the crescent, he shouted towards the ship......"

".......Jabba shook his head and his jowls, shook- lazy, fleshy echoes of his mock sorrow."

"......The gross form seemed to consider, then directed his next words not to Solo but to his hirelings. "

In the book, characters were described as humanoid. Jabba was not. These are the only physical descriptions of Jabba.

I guess he is not doing it for the money.

Anybody know why he waited this long to release them on DVD? I suspected it WAS for financial reasons, and that the same was true for Indiana Jones on DVD...although I can't exactly say what the strategy would be other than building up anticipation for the release.

That said, his ego cost him a lot of fans when he announced he would never release the original films in their original versions on DVD

I guess he is not doing it for the money.

As he's stated many times, Lucas is a CGI freak, and apparently is embarrassed by the dated FX in the original trilogy.

Personally, I think he should be more embarrassed at how utterly putrid the last two SW prequels were. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Maybe because Jabba had a walking, talking role? makepoint.gif

They achieved that with Greedo, not sure why they wouldn't have with Jabba also if he was intended to be humanoid also

That is why Jabba was not developed for the movie. At the time, there was not going to be a sequel and the plot points were developed by Greedo's lines. It came down to crunch time so the look of Jabba was not developed. Now days, they have reshoots much like they did with LOTR. Gollum is different in the Fellowship as he is in the Two Towers because the actor doing the voice conviced Jackson to act with the other actors. In the Two Towers, they changed Gollum to look like the actor. It would be very hard for Lucas to reshoot the scene with Harrison Ford. So, CGI manipulation had to be done.

If only someone other then Lucas could be involved in the 3rd prequel, that'd definately make my day. It's sad to see how far downhill such a great trilogy has gone. Mostly thanks to Lucas thinking he still had the talent/ability to come up with more quality flicks.

Brian

Mostly thanks to Lucas thinking he still had the talent/ability to come up with more quality flicks.

I *LOVE* Attack of the Clones. Jango Fett and Dooku are great...really wish they'd do more with Mace Windu though, they keep acting like he's the bomb but you never even see him with a saber except during that one sequence on Geonosis...loved that brief interaction between he and Dooku/Fett. That crab monster in the arena is THE most impressive alien creature I've ever seen on film! cloud9.gif Battle between Fett and Kenobi was awesome too, not to mention Yoda whipping out the surprise can o' whoop arse!! cloud9.gif

I wish he'd reconsider doing Episodes VII through IX myself...I do wish he'd get another director though, his films always have an overserious tone to them. I also wish he'd stop participating in the casting...the best thing that ever happened to the series was Lucas's first choice for Han Solo, Tom Selleck, not being able to play the part. I dunno how Lucas ended up getting such HORRIBLE acting performances from a set of otherwise-great actors in Phantom Menace...Liam Neeson looked pissed off and uninspired the whole film, I have to wonder if he didn't get along with Lucas, particularly since I seem to remember him bad-mouthing the films a year or two after Phantom Menace came out.

If Lucas puts that Trade Federation leader with the absolutely horrible Japanese accent in Episode III, I think I may have to shoot myself in the head. makepoint.gif Why he would make an alien creature have a distinctly Japanese accent is one of the dumbest film elements I've ever seen in an otherwise excellent science fiction series. frown.gif