• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 10 most OVERRATED Coppers?

76 posts in this topic

X-Men after Byrne

Marvel Secret Wars

Crisis on Infinite Earths

All Number One Issues

I'm not sure about Crisis being on the list. It did its job of fixing all the continuity problems and DC kept those changes for many years following. It was a good read at the time, but I haven't picked it up in years to see how it holds up, story-wise anyway.

Grant Morrison`s Doom Patrol.Sorry it just wasn`t my cup of tea.

I didn't care for it either. Actually, I really enjoyed the first few issues of that series. They were drawn by Steve Lightle. His smooth style was such a pleasure to look at. Then, he was replaced by a young Erik Larsen :P

I can't recall a more jarring stylistic change. It was awful.

Blasphemy! :o

This is another run I need to pull out and read again. I was blown away at the time and couldn't wait for the next issue. Easily the best stories ever told involving the Doom Patrol!

I didn't care for it either. Actually, I really enjoyed the first few issues of that series. They were drawn by Steve Lightle. His smooth style was such a pleasure to look at. Then, he was replaced by a young Erik Larsen :P

I can't recall a more jarring stylistic change. It was awful.

i will see your Lightle -> Larsen and raise you a Paul Smith -> JRJR and you will fold.

getting X-Men 176 in the mail was one of the most disappointing comic-related events in my subscription days. i had hoped beyond hope that the JRJR work on 175 was a fill-in thing, and sadly it was not to be. going from PMS to Cyclops fighting a giant octopus is just so meh

i will see your Lightle -> Larsen and raise you a Paul Smith -> JRJR and you will fold.

Except that I like JRJR :grin: (not so much his recent stuff though)

I will agree that only 10 issues of Paul Smith was a horrible tease. Why is it that guys like that only stay on books for a few issues when a hack like Bagley draws 800 issues of Spiderman? :mad:

Blasphemy! :o

This is another run I need to pull out and read again. I was blown away at the time and couldn't wait for the next issue. Easily the best stories ever told involving the Doom Patrol!

ok,I will look at them again,I did read them when I was a teen in the 1980`s.

Wolverine Limited Series #1

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

So, every CA Marvel key is overrated...except for NM #98? Really?

Wolverine Limited Series #1

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

So, every CA Marvel key is overrated...except for NM #98? Really?

I forgot about NM #98 doh!

For me one would be Miracleman #15. I FINALY read it last night and although it was a good read, from what I had heard about it I thought the violence was so intense it would scar me for life. Well I've seen worse (or better) violence in the BOYS! Now I guess I can see where what is depicted would be shocking for the time, BUT! it does not hold up that well at all.

The dialogue and pacing was good, but I just thought it was and is a very overrated book and certainly is not worth the hefty price tag it carries raw. I can only think of that one for right now so what about you guys? What do you think the top 10 overrated coppers are?

you're entitled to your entirely erroneous opinion :P If you feel a little "let down" its probably because.... well imagine this as a 1988 movie you've been hearing about for 20 years that you finally rented. I guarantee you its not going to live up to what people have told you about it. The impact of a comic like that, or of many movies is totally different in the year it comes out versus twenty years later. As our musical friend said, context.

At the time, DC and marvel were putting teen soap operas that passed for comic books and meanwhile Bates was "eating life and spooning skulls"?? Are you kidding me? :cool:

For me one would be Miracleman #15. I FINALY read it last night and although it was a good read, from what I had heard about it I thought the violence was so intense it would scar me for life. Well I've seen worse (or better) violence in the BOYS! Now I guess I can see where what is depicted would be shocking for the time, BUT! it does not hold up that well at all.

The dialogue and pacing was good, but I just thought it was and is a very overrated book and certainly is not worth the hefty price tag it carries raw. I can only think of that one for right now so what about you guys? What do you think the top 10 overrated coppers are?

you're entitled to your entirely erroneous opinion :P If you feel a little "let down" its probably because.... well imagine this as a 1988 movie you've been hearing about for 20 years that you finally rented. I guarantee you its not going to live up to what people have told you about it. The impact of a comic like that, or of many movies is totally different in the year it comes out versus twenty years later. As our musical friend said, context.

At the time, DC and marvel were putting teen soap operas that passed for comic books and meanwhile Bates was "eating life and spooning skulls"?? Are you kidding me? :cool:

:o +1,000

And here I was beginning to think everyone around here hated me, and totally disregarded everything I say....

{cue just about anybody....}

I hate to keep picking on Grant Morrision but I just read the Animal man trade paperback and it didn`t seem to be good as the hype.

Again, because of the lag in time. Morrison took the concept of retconning and turned it on its ear, by letting the retcon actually experience the previous incarnation. He also busted through the fourth wall in an innovative and entertaining manner. Now it seems not so cool because those concepts have been done so many times over that they have become hackneyed. When Grant did it over those 27 or so issues, it was a masterpiece. Highly imitated and never exceeded in terms of good execution.

You really can't read something now and say it's overrated. Exactly how well does X-Men 1, Supes 1, and pretty much any other major key out there hold up today? All of them need to be placed in the context of what was around at the time, and how revolutionary they were.