• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 10 most OVERRATED Coppers?

76 posts in this topic

I hate to keep picking on Grant Morrision but I just read the Animal man trade paperback and it didn`t seem to be good as the hype.

Again, because of the lag in time. Morrison took the concept of retconning and turned it on its ear, by letting the retcon actually experience the previous incarnation. He also busted through the fourth wall in an innovative and entertaining manner. Now it seems not so cool because those concepts have been done so many times over that they have become hackneyed. When Grant did it over those 27 or so issues, it was a masterpiece. Highly imitated and never exceeded in terms of good execution.

Exactly. It'd be like someone reading the Dark Knight Returns for the first time and saying, "I hate how Frank Miller uses that TV Screen/News Anchor as a way to tell what's going on.. it's so over used"! doh!

Wolverine Limited Series #1

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

I don't know about ASM #300, as it seems to have cemented itself as far as price and perception, but I completely agree with the rest of this list.

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

I don't know about ASM #300, as it seems to have cemented itself as far as price and perception, but I completely agree with the rest of this list.

I'm starting to agree with you on the ASM #300.

Its the only book that still sells in the $500 to $600 range in CGC 9.8

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

I still think UXM 266 is a great book.

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

That book has held on for a LONG time, despite the fact that:

A) It's not actually Gambit's first appearance and

B) Gambit is lame :grin:

Amazing Spider-Man #252

New Mutants #87

Uncanny X-Men #266

Superman #76

Watchmen #1

Uncanny X-Men #283

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Marvel Secert Wars #8

Uncanny X-Men #244

That book has held on for a LONG time, despite the fact that:

A) It's not actually Gambit's first appearance and

lol

I hate to keep picking on Grant Morrision but I just read the Animal man trade paperback and it didn`t seem to be good as the hype.

Again, because of the lag in time. Morrison took the concept of retconning and turned it on its ear, by letting the retcon actually experience the previous incarnation. He also busted through the fourth wall in an innovative and entertaining manner. Now it seems not so cool because those concepts have been done so many times over that they have become hackneyed. When Grant did it over those 27 or so issues, it was a masterpiece. Highly imitated and never exceeded in terms of good execution.

Exactly. It'd be like someone reading the Dark Knight Returns for the first time and saying, "I hate how Frank Miller uses that TV Screen/News Anchor as a way to tell what's going on.. it's so over used"! doh!

EXCELLENT point.

A lot of what we take for granted as devices in comics these days was pioneered by folks like Miller, Moore, Byrne, et al.

It's one of the reasons why Citizen Kane routinely ends up #1 on best films of all time lists. People who ignore context will find it dull and boring...without realizing how absolutely groundbreaking it was in the areas of cinematography, narrative, pacing, sound, music, and even the most famous early use of "based on a true story" that generated serious controversy in real life.

To today's audience, 70 years later, those techniques have been used over and over...and over....and over....and so make the film appear terribly dated.

But Welles pioneered film techniques that filmmakers used until the 1970's and beyond. Understood in that context, and compared to other films of the era, CK becomes the masterpiece that it really is.

EXCELLENT point.

A lot of what we take for granted as devices in comics these days was pioneered by folks like Miller, Moore, Byrne, et al.

It's one of the reasons why Citizen Kane routinely ends up #1 on best films of all time lists. People who ignore context will find it dull and boring...without realizing how absolutely groundbreaking it was in the areas of cinematography, narrative, pacing, sound, music, and even the most famous early use of "based on a true story" that generated serious controversy in real life.

To today's audience, 70 years later, those techniques have been used over and over...and over....and over....and so make the film appear terribly dated.

But Welles pioneered film techniques that filmmakers used until the 1970's and beyond. Understood in that context, and compared to other films of the era, CK becomes the masterpiece that it really is.

I loved Citizen Kane and it still holds up as a masterpiece, the Animal man stuff was really dated and boring. It wasn`t that I had seen it all before, those stories were just not that interesting to me, the only one that was fairly interesting was the one about roadkill. To put it into perspective I just read the Swampthing and Sandman runs by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman and they are masterpieces.Twice now I have been disappointed by Morrisons 1980`s work. :cry:

EXCELLENT point.

I loved Citizen Kane and it still holds up as a masterpiece, the Animal man stuff was really dated and boring. It wasn`t that I had seen it all before, those stories were just not that interesting to me, the only one that was fairly interesting was the one about roadkill. To put it into perspective I just read the Swampthing and Sandman runs by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman and they are masterpieces.Twice now I have been disappointed by Morrisons 1980`s work. :cry:

Wait...you were just supporting Finghy's comment, not three posts ago....!

lol

Jeez. I thought I was the only one who thought so. :applause:

Well I hate to sound like a complete person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point here but what exactly IS Gambit's mutant power? I stopped reading X-Men right before they introduced him and the X-Men movie he was in didn't really help clarify what it was either (although I thought the actor that played him did really well). Some sort of energy dicharge through cards??? Twirling cane thing???

He has the mutant power to not die of dehydration when gamboling through the swamps of Louisiana while wearing a full-body spandex suit and a trenchcoat.

MM 15 while I rarely like anything Morrison does is still highly sought after due to print run and they stylistic changes that came with the book. Its not underrated.

I say this just on my selling/buying experience personally I wouldnt pay squat for it, but I am keeping my personal tastes out of the argument. The average buyer/seller would still pass this book up in the $1 bins and I think some shop owners would too in back stock.

I lean heavily toward Wolverine 1 just due to the print run. I am trying to remember what ground breaking stuff that mini did? It isnt even Wolvie first solo right that was X-men 133 I think? While the mini is good isnt it still the No1 Slabbed book?

Anyone give a good argument for why it shouldnt be overrated?

ASM 300? Its a keeper I think. Still solid for Venom and Todd M art.

UXM 266 is my choice. Gambit has never turned into the character they thought he would be even the movie didnt help him much.