• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 10 most OVERRATED Coppers?

76 posts in this topic

I hate to keep picking on Grant Morrision but I just read the Animal man trade paperback and it didn`t seem to be good as the hype.

Again, because of the lag in time. Morrison took the concept of retconning and turned it on its ear, by letting the retcon actually experience the previous incarnation. He also busted through the fourth wall in an innovative and entertaining manner. Now it seems not so cool because those concepts have been done so many times over that they have become hackneyed. When Grant did it over those 27 or so issues, it was a masterpiece. Highly imitated and never exceeded in terms of good execution.

Exactly. It'd be like someone reading the Dark Knight Returns for the first time and saying, "I hate how Frank Miller uses that TV Screen/News Anchor as a way to tell what's going on.. it's so over used"! doh!

EXCELLENT point.

A lot of what we take for granted as devices in comics these days was pioneered by folks like Miller, Moore, Byrne, et al.

It's one of the reasons why Citizen Kane routinely ends up #1 on best films of all time lists. People who ignore context will find it dull and boring...without realizing how absolutely groundbreaking it was in the areas of cinematography, narrative, pacing, sound, music, and even the most famous early use of "based on a true story" that generated serious controversy in real life.

To today's audience, 70 years later, those techniques have been used over and over...and over....and over....and so make the film appear terribly dated.

But Welles pioneered film techniques that filmmakers used until the 1970's and beyond. Understood in that context, and compared to other films of the era, CK becomes the masterpiece that it really is.

I loved Citizen Kane and it still holds up as a masterpiece, the Animal man stuff was really dated and boring. It wasn`t that I had seen it all before, those stories were just not that interesting to me, the only one that was fairly interesting was the one about roadkill. To put it into perspective I just read the Swampthing and Sandman runs by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman and they are masterpieces.Twice now I have been disappointed by Morrisons 1980`s work. :cry:

Wait...you were just supporting Finghy's comment, not three posts ago....!

lol

:gossip: I read some of those grant morrison Doom Patrols again and I liked them better the first time.I guess his modern stuff gets better, :whistle:

Wait. Someone doesn't like the Grant Morrison Animal Man run?

I would expect to see people listing that run as the most UNDER APPRECIATED Coppers, but not this. The Peter Milligan issues that follow Morrison are also very good and I think he's one of the most overlooked writers in the industry.

Yeah, but you always had a soft spot for guys in trench coats with heavy accents

Dat's true. And it sho is some spicy gumbo, mon frere.

Much like Jubilee, I always thought the character was overrated.

I can't believe how fat NEW MUTANTS #87 has dropped. I saw one sell recently for just around $10 on eBay. Back when I was collecting during the glut-market days I was kicking myself for passing up picking it up in the news stands when it came out and it was pricing at $90. I'm also bummed now since I do think I had the 1st appearance Deadpool issue, but sold it as part of a bulk lot sale many years ago when I dumped my collection on the cheap.

Somehow I got back into collecting a few months ago and am able to pick up modern keys on the cheap. Now I'm going to see if I can pick up some overated coppers for the heck of it.

I would expect to see people listing that run as the most UNDER APPRECIATED Coppers, but not this. The Peter Milligan issues that follow Morrison are also very good and I think he's one of the most overlooked writers in the industry.

I loved his run on X-Force/X-Statix with Mike Allred. And it sure did annoy a lot of people. I think that may be the longest run of any mutant book I ever actually read and looked forward to every month.

There were parts of Animal Man I didn't get, but that "roadkill" issue of which you speak is _amazing_--one of my top 10 comics of all time.

It's one of those issues that depresses me because I'm just not smart enough to have thought of a plot like that.

I loved his run on X-Force/X-Statix with Mike Allred. And it sure did annoy a lot of people. I think that may be the longest run of any mutant book I ever actually read and looked forward to every month.

I LOVED that series. I'm a big Mike Allred fan too, he's the one artist that inspired me to buy some of his art. Him and wife were a lot of fun to talk to, very kind and genuine people.

I only wish X-Statix would have ended better. The inker that worked on the series for the last few issues was god awful. The guy pulled a Colletta on him. It's always best when Mike inks his own work and Laura colors it. Still a great series that needs more love.

I LOVED that series. I'm a big Mike Allred fan too, he's the one artist that inspired me to buy some of his art. Him and wife were a lot of fun to talk to, very kind and genuine people.

I only wish X-Statix would have ended better. The inker that worked on the series for the last few issues was god awful. The guy pulled a Colletta on him. It's always best when Mike inks his own work and Laura colors it. Still a great series that needs more love.

Yeah, I agree. And yeah, it should have had a better ending.

Man, I loved those characters!

I loved this series also - first X-title I bought since 1972. Milligan and Allred were a fantastic team. Reading the cranky letters from angry fanboys mourning the loss of 4th string heroes most comic readers had never heard of was part of the fun.

Honestly, I've forgotten how it ended though - my memory ain't what it used to be.

I loved this series also - first X-title I bought since 1972. Milligan and Allred were a fantastic team. Reading the cranky letters from angry fanboys mourning the loss of 4th string heroes most comic readers had never heard of was part of the fun.

Honestly, I've forgotten how it ended though - my memory ain't what it used to be.

A big old battle/team-up with the Avengers. I'm sure more happened but that was pretty much it.

A big old battle/team-up with the Avengers. I'm sure more happened but that was pretty much it.

Yeah, actually there was more to it... but it sounds funnier as a pitch than how the story actually turned out. They returned in the Dead Girl mini-series, but I thought, it too, failed in execution from what probably sounded like a funny idea.