• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,276 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2022 at 12:00 AM, Jayman said:

Following up on my post of the content of some of the Castle of Frankenstein mags. They covered movies of course but also what was currently selling in the book, mag and comic scene as well. Apparently I bought some of the same things they were talking about back then without knowing it. The monsters WHO’s Who I’ve had since I was about 10 years old!

74C51217-9789-4497-AAAE-18BB1241A434.jpeg

704F13F0-5E87-4824-B931-0D1A6708919E.jpeg

4094CD2F-BB3C-4C98-90A9-0D9FB285AFE6.jpeg

Scream Door #1.JPG

70629DF1-FDE4-4739-A8E7-2E73CEF0587A.jpeg

A2DB5CD5-B388-45F5-8BD2-A48CF66484B1.jpeg

That Monsters Who’s Who is awesome. I need to hunt for a copy now.  

On 3/28/2022 at 10:51 AM, dover said:

Received my order from our very own @Randall Dowling and they are fabulous. Way up in the high grade level for certain.

Creepy 138 -Randall.jpg

Creepy 144 -Randall.jpg

Eerie 9 -Randall.jpg

Vampirella 70 -Randall.jpg

Douglas is a great guy who knows how to find the most beautiful books.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:48 PM, dover said:

I think the 1984 series might need more of my attention.

I'm totally going there next.  They look pretty cool.  And only 29 issues for a full run of 1984/1994.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:50 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'm totally going there next.  They look pretty cool.  And only 29 issues for a full run of 1984/1994.

I'm like you. I want every Warren book made, see you down the rabbit hole. Hahahaha

event_image-18.jpg.1fdfe33c4db043c96e26b482f0ee1504.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 9:42 PM, oakman29 said:

I'm like you. I want every Warren book made, see you down the rabbit hole. Hahahaha

I can probly live without EVERY Warren book ever made, most notably the Famous Monsters of the Movies, which don't really interest me at all (and which has like 300 issues, so there, I just saved $5000).  But yeah, it looks like I'm going to end up with most of the major and minor comic series Warren produced, though nailing down good sets of Blazing Combat  and Comix International looks like it's going to be a chore.  I'm currently trying to decide if I go for a full run of The Spirit (1-39, including the Kitchen Sink issues), or just the 1-16 run of the Warren-published Spirit.  I picked up the 3 Goblins for nothing, so the lurid 1984/1994 run is probly my next main project, with CREEPY, EERIE, Vampirella and The Rook already under my belt.  And then there's these "Warren Presents" that I keep seeing referenced, but the actual issues/titles seem confusing (like #6 is also the "Wanted" Rook special issue?), so that can wait too.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, Axe Elf said:

I can probly live without EVERY Warren book ever made, most notably the Famous Monsters of the Movies, which don't really interest me at all (and which has like 300 issues, so there, I just saved $5000).  But yeah, it looks like I'm going to end up with most of the major and minor comic series Warren produced, though nailing down good sets of Blazing Combat  and Comix International looks like it's going to be a chore.  I'm currently trying to decide if I go for a full run of The Spirit (1-39, including the Kitchen Sink issues), or just the 1-16 run of the Warren-published Spirit.  I picked up the 3 Goblins for nothing, so the lurid 1984/1994 run is probly my next main project, with CREEPY, EERIE, Vampirella and The Rook already under my belt.  And then there's these "Warren Presents" that I keep seeing referenced, but the actual issues/titles seem confusing (like #6 is also the "Wanted" Rook special issue?), so that can wait too.

Are you looking at getting HELP! or not, or is that decision pending?

Also, my latest pickup.  @Axe Elf, this is a good example of what I was saying about my collection being ragtag as well.  It's not an unattractive copy, but it's certainly not high grade:

Tomb_of_Dracula_4.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 11:24 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This read a little funny at first pass.

I actually thought that at first too; like anyone who collects Warren mags SHOULD get HELP!???

I would say decision pending for lack of information.  Right now it's not really on my radar, but that's largely due to ignorance and could change.  Is it a comic series too?  How many issues are there, and how expensive are they?  That's probly the bottom line, really.  I can still drop a couple hundred on these short runs, but I'd hate to start coveting another major purchase in the $1000s.  So far the wife has been very understanding about the "investment" aspect of my purchases--especially since the previous hobby that ate up $1000s for each of the past few years has been my extravagant fireworks displays, so at least this year I can say we'll have something to show for the expenditure after the fact--but I think we're pretty much at the limit of that excuse's protection at this point.

I need to be winding down this whirlwind of an adventure that has been the last two months, and go into my 59th season a happy camper on Thursday.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:39 PM, Axe Elf said:

I actually thought that at first too; like anyone who collects Warren mags SHOULD get HELP!???

I would say decision pending for lack of information.  Right now it's not really on my radar, but that's largely due to ignorance and could change.  Is it a comic series too?  How many issues are there, and how expensive are they?  That's probly the bottom line, really.  I can still drop a couple hundred on these short runs, but I'd hate to start coveting another major purchase in the $1000s.  So far the wife has been very understanding about the "investment" aspect of my purchases--especially since the previous hobby that ate up $1000s for each of the past few years has been my extravagant fireworks displays, so at least this year I can say we'll have something to show for the expenditure after the fact--but I think we're pretty much at the limit of that excuse's protection at this point.

I need to be winding down this whirlwind of an adventure that has been the last two months, and go into my 59th season a happy camper on Thursday.

I am still amazed that you completed Vampirella,  Creepy,  and Eerie runs in just a couple months. I started like 12 years ago, just puzzles me .