• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

63 posts in this topic

Wowzers, I'm a page 10 guy....cool.....I think

Page 6, Baby!!! thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, the stars were useless. And if we are ranking the status of board members by the number of posts, why bother with the stars?

Personally, the number of posts - newbie or not - really doesn't mean much either. There are several newer people on here that have posted great topics (such as CompleteRunComics or Zeman), and several old time posters that are experts at hijacking a thread with Graemlins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Spend a few days on this board and you can pretty much figure things out for yourself.

Oh well. Wonder what the shills will do now?

Oh well. Wonder what the shills will do now?

I've been wondering that myself. Get lives perhaps? Before the star biz was scrapped I was on 42 rates and two stars one day, and 78 rates and one star the next. Not that I mentioned it at the time (it ain't that important), but this is the activity of GROWN MEN??

Hail to the Mods. They have made redundant a whole raft of childish shills. They get the last laugh. thumbsup2.gif

My stars were the only reason I had to get up in the morning,........how are we all going to measure our self worth as people now?........maybe we can all drop our pants and grab a ruler........no wait,...that wouldn't be fair to Joanna and Greggy,........

My stars were the only reason I had to get up in the morning,........how are we all going to measure our self worth as people now?........maybe we can all drop our pants and grab a ruler........no wait,...that wouldn't be fair to Joanna and Greggy,........
Yeah...I guess having to wake up to go to work has focused your energy to other more important things. Oh well...I guess my planned new shill called "fookine" is going on the back burner! thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

Personally I like the idea of having star ratings...

But I think they should be weighted based on the number of posts you have...

So if someone with 500 posts gave you 5 stars it counts more than someone with 5 posts...

If you're going to have a system at all (and most forums do) I think it's far more important what greggy, murph0, DARTHDIESEL, supapimp, ArAich, MajorKhaos, Rickdogg, povertyrow, joe_collector, gmarguli, BachelorOfComix, fantastic_four, tjennings, FlyingDonut, THE_BEYONDER, blowout, lighthouse, aardvark88, Bonds25, EVillageProwler, keithdagen, CaptainsOfIndustry, and drbanner have to say about a member than what 23 new shills have to say.

If the people who have been around a while think you're a valuable member of the community that means more than what a bunch of newly created shills think... and a system like that would discourage people from bothering to shill members down in the first place.

Set up a weighted system, you'd only need three or four plateau levels, maybe 25, 250 and 2500 posts. Make a rating from a 2500+ poster count 10 times as much as one from a 0 poster. Maybe a 250+ would be 5 times and a 25+ worth double... You'd probably see a lot more people with 4-star overall ratings that way (since most of the hating is done by shills). And it would mean more if someone had a 1-star rating...

Or if that code is too difficult to add, just don't permit users with less than 50 posts to rate anyone at all. If someone has enough free time to make 50 posts for each new shill just to try to rate someone down, I bet they get bored pretty easily...

But I would like to see the stars return in a better form...

'House

I completly agree! thumbsup2.gif

If you're going to have a system at all (and most forums do) I think it's far more important what greggy, murph0, DARTHDIESEL, supapimp, ArAich, MajorKhaos, Rickdogg, povertyrow, joe_collector, gmarguli, BachelorOfComix, fantastic_four, tjennings, FlyingDonut, THE_BEYONDER, blowout, lighthouse, aardvark88, Bonds25, EVillageProwler, keithdagen, CaptainsOfIndustry, and drbanner have to say about a member than what 23 new shills have to say.

I dont see my name in the list?

Why?

You're not on the first page of the VIP List. And honestly, I think your butterface babe test pics hurt you too. frown.gif

I'm 38th? laugh.gif

Well now there are no stars I guess post count is it for now.

My fingers are going to get sore... sumo.gif

Why not just have new memebers follow the brightest star in the sky bringing gifts of gold, frankincense, and mer to bequeath to you great saviors of comics?,...then you could bestow your blessings and tidings upon them and use your omnipotent wisdom to determine if they are worthy or not to post on an internet chat room,....

Why not just have new memebers follow the brightest star in the sky bringing gifts of gold, frankincense, and mer to bequeath to you great saviors of comics?,...then you could bestow your blessings and tidings upon them and use your omnipotent wisdom to determine if they are worthy or not to post on an internet chat room,....

It sounds like you're saying that you prefer that a handful of members making hundreds of shills be the sole arbiters of any rating system -- as opposed to a consensus of active members with hundreds to thousands of posts apiece and only one screen ID. The former is what the system had become, of course. Star ratings were so contaminated by shills that they had no meaning whatsoever. If the few members who were shillbots deemed you acceptable, you kept your rating, or gained stars. If they decided, for whatever reason, that you were not 'in their camp' then you were quickly reduced to 2 or 1 star.

For example, a shillbot in the WC & GPF had, in the past few days, knocked almost every non-conservative poster to 1 star. The conservatives were all raised to 3 stars. This campaign by a well-known banned member & political conservative was most likely responsible for Arch getting rid of the star system. Your stated preference, that the shillbots get to decide all ratings, ironically caused the end of the system entirely.

Personally, I don't think 'House's system would be fair, and I know the shillbot system wasn't. I prefer the present, no-star system. Stars've caused nothing but grief, whining, childish tantrums, and petty, useless vendettas for quite some time. Now that all that can end, maybe the shillbotting can, too. One can hope.

-- Joanna

Personally, I don't think 'House's system would be fair, and I know the shillbot system wasn't. I prefer the present, no-star system. Stars've caused nothing but grief, whining, childish tantrums, and petty, useless vendettas for quite some time. Now that all that can end, maybe the shillbotting can, too. One can hope.

-- Joanna

Damn right. There's a lot of misguided, misinformed, anti - intellectual haters in the WC (some banned, others not) who are prone to making absurdly generalized and stupid statements, whose only recourse to revenge is to create shills for star ratings and flame wars. Which is why I rarely go there - makes the blood boil, some of that gibberish.

If the Mods keep a tight grip on some of the more shall we say wayward flamers (be they in Comics General or wherever), the shills will simply have to go elsewhere.

I'm not endorsing either method Joanna,.....because neither to me makes any sense....it's now plainly obvious that the former method wasn't working, however I don't subscribe to the sacred elder system either........if this is to be a truley open forum perhaps the best framework would be to have no one responsible for the rewards and punishments of the posters,...then maybe people would feel more comfortable in expressing their true feelings and not have to worry about displeasing the forum GODS or the forum gremlins.......it would also make it a more hospitable place for newbies .....

perhaps the best framework would be to have no one responsible for the rewards and punishments of the posters

Which is what we have now. No stars, no rating, but lots of bliss. Even the mod button doesn't guarantee action, so that discipline remains, as it should, in their hands, not ours. Things are looking up!