• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mothers...The real THREAT to comic collections EVERYWHERE!

79 posts in this topic

I have told this story several times.

Years ago when my dad learned I collected back issue comics(and that some can be worth big money) he told me as a kid he remembered his mom throwing out, and even burning a trunkload of old comics that were his older brothers (who both died in the war)

I of course asked what kind of comics did he remember seeing, and he said casually. "Oh the usual stuff, Superman, Batman, Flash"

I of course cried.

:cry:

But I got my revenge...eventually.

Mom was up from Florida visiting a couple years back, and I took her with me to one of the Detroit one day shows, and put her to work watching my table while I looked at a couple collections.

She was boggled by the stuff she recognized from when SHE was a youngster (circa 1940) that was going for serious money at Mike Goldman's table, lol

My stuff was small potatoes in comparison, but I still sold a $100 book in front of her. Good times....

All of my childhood toys were garage saled away by my mother(GI Joes, Star Wars, toy guns, you name it) :mad: . She HATES to be reminded of it... :insane:
Then Remind her EVERY chance you get! :devil:

All of my childhood toys were garage saled away by my mother(GI Joes, Star Wars, toy guns, you name it) :mad: . She HATES to be reminded of it... :insane:

Which I am sure you are all too eager to do so!

:D

On a handful of occasions during my childhood / pre-teen years (early to mid 70s) my mum would rip the odd book to bits as punishment for various transgressions. Mind you, in those days I was primarily collecting DC, and nearly always she'd choose a Superman Family 100 pager or similar for ritual destruction as such books looked more important due to the page count.

I also had a collection of British stuff when I was 10 that got donated on my behalf to a local hospital (oddly enough I don't remember agreeing to doing that). Felt pretty grim about it although I did receive a nice letter from one of the patients thanking me for my generosity. lol

Thankfully none of the books that got "redistributed" or "recycled" turned out to be valuable in any sense of the word...not to mention that most of my collection from that era (which I still have) is only in F/VF condition, which ain't bad considering how many times I read those books, but not exactly primo shape.

When they eventually realized that I was terminally addicted to comics, my parents accepted that I was destined for a life of unbridled nerdery and left me to my desultory fate as a nerdball.

And then in 77/78 punk rock kicked in, and suddenly they also realized that comic obsession was infinitely preferable to the sight of their boy mutating into a peroxide haired looney.

I was allowed to keep the comics. It was the Megos that got thrown away. :cry:

About a year ago one of my LCS got a nice batch of mego superheros & I was one of the few he showed them to & I could not belive how pristine they were! Later on after he sold them he said he sold them for over $500 a piece! :o

Mine were not pristine. I staged Secret Wars type battles all the time ten years before Secret Wars. But I did keep them a lot nicer than I kept my comics. Except for the Robin. I tried to scrape off his mask and kept him in his painted on skivvies and he was Sub-Mariner. The best were the ones with the levers on the back that made them punch, and the vehicles. The Captain Americar and the Arrowcar were :cloud9:

I think most of us have a story like this.

My dad had tons of great comics from the early years of Batman and Superman.

He read them in a small room in the attic of his old house.

One day my Grandmother cleaned out the room taking stacks and stacks of them out to the fire. :o

I know the exact spot where she burned them, as I have asked them both about this story many many times.

Maybe I should put a shrine over the spot where they now rest as ashes. lol

i was lucky, my i was raised by my grandmother and she taught me to take care of everything and save all the boxes of my toys...i made alot of money selling my star war stuff that way and she would always give me money as a kid to go get bags and boards for my books when i started collecting...=) man i miss her

One day my Grandmother cleaned out the room taking stacks and stacks of them out to the fire. :o

I know the exact spot where she burned them, as I have asked them both about this story many many times.

Grandmother's too? :o What is with women and there hatred of all things comics?

i was lucky, my i was raised by my grandmother and she taught me to take care of everything and save all the boxes of my toys...i made alot of money selling my star war stuff that way and she would always give me money as a kid to go get bags and boards for my books when i started collecting...=) man i miss her
You had one awesome grandma :grin:

Grandmother's too? :o What is with women and there hatred of all things comics?
Maybe they thought comic books was corrupting the minds of young children :insane:lol:insane:lol