• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mothers...The real THREAT to comic collections EVERYWHERE!

79 posts in this topic

Haha my mom wouldn't have been able to wipe her butt with my millenium falcon...

but my comic books were very well read..they would've been comfy soft lol

:roflmao: It's sad. but a lot of those 90's books are only good as T.P!

I went to a style show once for hairdressers as a model..I went in with waist length auburn hair and walked our with a weird punk buzzed in the back /above the ears pageboy in the front with a fan etched cut bang and colored pink and white with black streaks..

They had told me I was getting a cut by a major stylist (Jerome Alexander cut it) who thought I would look lovely with a classic bob or pageboy..it looked nothing classic I had to buzz it and start from scratch..

That was the last time I went to a stylist..

pffht ..MarvelFanGirl..man if I were your age again..whoooo hooo..

would love to climb in the way back machine ..

and kick butt on some Heathers types..and go back behind the gym to the smoking area and hang out with the bad girls..(yes our school had a smoking area for students lol

hm While I give the 80's some kudos for bring some awesome action movies,Overall I don't think I would want to back to the 80's just b/c of the hair and the fashion :P

My childhood books were not 90's books hon I am a child of the 60's 70's graduated before 1990! But I collected (I use the term loosely because my mom didn't like "old" books messing up the room) I collected Horror books and comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, and several Super Hero titles

My mom was actually the one that got me into collecting/preservation in the first place. As a kid, I of course read comics, but I hadn't displayed any interest in keeping them in good condition.

I didn't get an allowance, but when I was in the sixth grade my mom started going to the only comic shop in the area, and would reward me for doing my chores by giving me 1 book per day if I did my duties. She also bought bags & boards, and impressed upon me the necessity of keeping them in good shape. The very first book I got in this manner was Alpha Flight #1. She made really good purchasing choices otherwise, though...the second book I got was an 'Uncanny X-Men'. She bought all the flagship titles from the big two, and I sold all of them for a sick amount of money to a dealer right before the market crashed in the 90's...

Since then I've re-purchased most of those books for a fraction of what I was paid for my original collection.

I got really lucky in the mom department. :)

My mom had bought comics for me since before I could read, btw. Looking at the pretty pictures kept me quiet on long road trips, and she had a big box of comics that she only busted out for road trips. There were a few Disney books in there (most of which I've since sent to Bosco685 for his sons), but it was mostly BA DC horror. When I asked her, as an adult, why she bought such macabre reading material, she told me that horror books were the most effective in capturing my attention. She did buy some mainstream books, though. When she dragged 'the box' down from the attic a couple of years ago, this gem was inside:

181reader.jpg

She did make me get rid of my complete Star Wars & He-Man collection, though. All that's left is 80% of the Ewok Village.

While I give the 80's some kudos for bring some awesome action movies,Overall I don't think I would want to back to the 80's just b/c of the hair and the fashion :P

Jersey hair & parachute pants!

Oh, to have owned stock in Aquanet in the 80's....

My mom was actually the one that got me into collecting/preservation in the first place. As a kid, I of course read comics, but I hadn't displayed any interest in keeping them in good condition.

I didn't get an allowance, but when I was in the sixth grade my mom started going to the only comic shop in the area, and would reward me for doing my chores by giving me 1 book per day if I did my duties. She also bought bags & boards, and impressed upon me the necessity of keeping them in good shape. The very first book I got in this manner was Alpha Flight #1. She made really good purchasing choices otherwise, though...the second book I got was an 'Uncanny X-Men'. She bought all the flagship titles from the big two, and I sold all of them for a sick amount of money to a dealer right before the market crashed in the 90's...

Since then I've re-purchased most of those books for a fraction of what I was paid for my original collection.

I got really lucky in the mom department. :)

My mom had bought comics for me since before I could read, btw. Looking at the pretty pictures kept me quiet on long road trips, and she had a big box of comics that she only busted out for road trips. There were a few Disney books in there (most of which I've since sent to Bosco685 for his sons), but it was mostly BA DC horror. When I asked her, as an adult, why she bought such macabre reading material, she told me that horror books were the most effective in capturing my attention. She did buy some mainstream books, though. When she dragged 'the box' down from the attic a couple of years ago, this gem was inside:

181reader.jpg

She did make me get rid of my complete Star Wars & He-Man collection, though. All that's left is 80% of the Ewok Village.

Aww, a good mom story! :applause:

My story tops you all:

My parents use to wipe their butts with Tales From The Crypt! :P

My parents grew up very poor in the south during the depression thru the 50s and toilet paper was a luxury. Since comics were disposable then they had too use whatever soft paper was available.

My mom would tell me of keeping a stack of comics in the outhouse for her 9 siblings to use, amongst those comics were lots of ECs since my mom loved horror comics when she was a child.

You win. :P:sick:

95399.jpg

Soooo How many people here had there prized collections tossed out or ruined because of there moms?

:hi:

My dad. Several times. They were convinced (and probably right) that my nightmares as a child came from me reading my comics obssessivly.

Soooo How many people here had there prized collections tossed out or ruined because of there moms?

My dad. Several times. They were convinced (and probably right) that my nightmares as a child came from me reading my comics obssessivly.

Yeah, those Little Lulu comics are frightening.

Yeah, those Little Lulu comics are frightening.

Especially the bike scenes.

:eek:

Haha my mom wouldn't have been able to wipe her butt with my millenium falcon...

but my comic books were very well read..they would've been comfy soft lol

:roflmao: It's sad. but a lot of those 90's books are only good as T.P!

Ouch!Pages to slick and glossy!

My mom never through away my books, so I was fortunate...

My GRANDMOM on the other hand...she earned her name THE DESTROYER :cry::(:cry::(

My Nan once wrote a telephone number on a book worth many hundreds...

tore the top of and threw it in the trash....

She now loves and is interested in my uncle and I's collections(9It was his book actually).She loves the earliest ASM stuff,as well as Dr.Strange.Ditko fan she is!

Here's (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u to my mum, who not only never threw any of my comics out but encouraged my interest in comics, pop art, drawing and collecting. Then again it may have had something to do with collecting, and subsequently losing (amongst other things) her own collection of Marge's Little Lulu comics in the early 70's.