• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Mazzucchelli wants me to destroy my SS Books & thinks i'm greedy collector

302 posts in this topic

I had a few Mazzucchelli books on Ebay and I am trying to sell the because I need to raise funds for an important purchase.

Today I get this message in my Ebay inbox

The message is in it's entirety and has not been edited just highlighted

========

I am David Mazzucchelli's art rep and friend.

Mr. Mazzucchelli asked me to contact you directly as he has never knowingly or willingly participated in any Signature Series Signings. Whomever got this from him did not state it was for the purpose of slabbing and / or CGC Signature Series. If he had known, he NEVER would have signed the comics. He would appreciate it if you, as the owner of these comics, would remove the books from the SS sleeves and just sell them as plain old signed copies. He has repeatedly requested of CGC that they do NOT authenticate ANY comics with his signature. In my opinion ... if this continues he may stop signing comics altogether. ALL fans will suffer due to a few greedy individuals. You can verify my representation of who I am and of him on my website at www.theartistschoice.com

Spencer R. Beck

The Artist's Choice

========

So I Write back

========

With all Due Respect that is a request I cannot and will not oblige you in.

These books took me time and effort to get and have been in my collections for a long time. I am not selling them because I am "Greedy" I am trying to raise funds for an important reason and I find it insulting to be spoken to that way.

Good day sir

============

Has anyone ever gotten an email like that before from an artist

if this continues he may stop signing comics altogether.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he pretty much already stopped signing comics? (shrug)

Honestly. What the hell is this guy's problem? You sign books for people or you don't. What they do with them is their business. For the life of me I don't understand people who get angry about this stuff. You want to devalue your SS books so no one can profit from them...saturate the market. Sign everything, anywhere, anytime. Don't gripe because your sig carries a premium on the secondary market for the simple reason that you never sign anything. It saddens me that this d-bag drew one of my favourite comics of all time.

if this continues he may stop signing comics altogether.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he pretty much already stopped signing comics? (shrug)

Honestly. What the hell is this guy's problem? You sign books for people or you don't. What they do with them is their business. For the life of me I don't understand people who get angry about this stuff. You want to devalue your SS books so no one can profit from them...saturate the market. Sign everything, anywhere, anytime. Don't gripe because your sig carries a premium on the secondary market for the simple reason that you never sign anything. It saddens me that this d-bag drew one of my favourite comics of all time.

The funny thing is, from reading the e-mail, is that his problem is with the CGC SS program. He didn't seem upset at the selling of the books, but the fact that they were slabbed. What would be the difference if you were to have a book of his with a "COA"? Here's an idea, how about we find out what happens if ZERO people ask for you to sign anything ever again...

Mazzuchelli has been vehemently anti-CGC SS for a long time. There have been tons of references to it here in the Sig Room and virtually any time that someone sells one they mention it. I have even heard a rumor that he threatened litigation, but it is toally unsubstantiated. Can't believe they didn't get offered up here first, or did I miss them? hm

I want one now lol lol

Maybe they did this as a sales technique, haha.

Like the South Park episode where Cartman doesn't let anybody into his theme park, and on the news they report it as "The marketing scheme of the decade". I think that's how Mazzucchelli is with his books lol - I bet nobody has seen that episode to even know what I'm talking about! :(

What is he against exactly?

All CGC is to me is 100% legit autographs... from a fan perspective.

Sure people profit from it, but that's life - He should get over himself. Or am I wrong? (shrug)

Mazzuchelli has been vehemently anti-CGC SS for a long time. There have been tons of references to it here in the Sig Room and virtually any time that someone sells one they mention it. I have even heard a rumor that he threatened litigation, but it is toally unsubstantiated. Can't believe they didn't get offered up here first, or did I miss them? hm

What is he against exactly?

All CGC is to me is 100% legit autographs... from a fan perspective.

Sure people profit from it, but that's life - He should get over himself. Or am I wrong? (shrug)

No,your not.

I want one now lol lol

Like the South Park episode where Cartman doesn't let anybody into his theme park, and on the news they report it as "The marketing scheme of the decade". I think that's how Mazzucchelli is with his books lol - I bet nobody has seen that episode to even know what I'm talking about! :(

That was a great episode!

So you see the comparison? ;)

I want one now lol lol

So you see the comparison? ;)

I want one now lol lol

Sure do...it makes sense. Sadly, I think Mazz is being a jerk...he should feel honored that his fans would fight over his life's work and value something he has signed. Its just sad to me...