• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bad Sketch Thread.

98 posts in this topic

A reference for your sketch is an invaluable tool. Of course this requires some pre-planning, but it curtails many a disappointment.

I have thought about that a lot. It curtails disappointment, but it also insures that you are not going to get something inspired, either.

It depends on what character you are looking to get drawn. I know many creators that need reference for costume details on many characters that they don't normally draw. Having reference ready to go will be the difference between you getting the character you want from the artist you want and having them pass because they can't remember off the top of their head what the design on Firestorm's chest looks like.

A reference for your sketch is an invaluable tool. Of course this requires some pre-planning, but it curtails many a disappointment.

I have thought about that a lot. It curtails disappointment, but it also insures that you are not going to get something inspired, either.

I disagree. Sayger used a reference. Furthermore, I have never gotten an exact replica of the reference, probably due to copyright, but I have never gotten three to five squiggle lines either... even on a free sketch that I paid $20 for anyway.

Well, we're probably speaking about two different things. Lots of guys use reference to make sure they know what the costume looks like, coloring, equipment etc. I guess I was thinking more of you walking up and saying "Please draw this," and handing over the reference.

I ask for a specific character or scene and then hand them the reference and say, "similar to this."

Aside to Chris:

Firestorm. :sick:

I wanted Sean to be able to relate to the comment.

I ask for a specific character or scene and then hand them the reference and say, "similar to this."

Aside to Chris:

Firestorm. :sick:

I wanted Sean to be able to relate to the comment.

DC :cloud9:

Another, "In Yer Face, Sean" moment sponsored by Bill Dinh:

Reference:

Sentinels.PNG

Sketch:

MagnetoInkWatson.jpg

Score - Watson: Two. Disappointment: Zero.

Reference:

Sentinels.PNG

Sketch:

MagnetoInkWatson.jpg

HOLY mess - That's freaking awesome! (this should be in the "bad a$$" sketch thread!

To prove to seanfingturd that providing a reference to an artist does do not sap them of their creativity and prevents one from acquiring a sketch that rightfully belongs in this thread. :preach:

Point was already conceded that we were speaking about two different things. But if you just haven't gotten the marks deep enough, yet, keep beating that horse.

Reference:

Sentinels.PNG

Sketch:

MagnetoInkWatson.jpg

:roflmao:

But no, I agree. Sometime a little reference can go a long way especially if the artist doesn't know the character too well OR simply to help illustrate an idea. Whether or not this takes away from inspiration or not depends on the artist.