• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Just Certified a Second New Mutants 98 in 9.9

452 posts in this topic

Again I totally agree Park. But smart people dont call other people person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_points on a public forum. If we have any kind of thing going here we would offer to educate rather than name call. My point has nothing to do with the sale, its the fact this is a public site with a ton of so called professionals calling people names. As you can see by my post count I am mainly a lurker. It usually takes a lot to drag me out and this kind of behaviour by this caliber of people really annoys me.

Smart people would of dropped it by now! Hint Hint

Again I totally agree Park. But smart people dont call other people retards on a public forum. If we have any kind of thing going here we would offer to educate rather than name call. My point has nothing to do with the sale, its the fact this is a public site with a ton of so called professionals calling people names. As you can see by my post count I am mainly a lurker. It usually takes a lot to drag me out and this kind of behaviour by this caliber of people really annoys me.

True, but you have to consider a couple of things. People making comments around here may not be all that freakin' smart.

You know that filter that is between your brain and your mouth that most people have that keeps us from saying really stupid mess sometimes? It works even less on the internet,

It would be really boring around here if everyone was polite and agreeable. :insane:

I don't disagree with your point. (thumbs u I just ignore the fluff easier than you maybe? (shrug)

Smart people would add to the discussion. You dont have to read this if you are bored.
I'm not bored at all I enjoy watching you make a out of yourself.

I don't see where he is a making an of himself at all. I have no issue with the point he is trying to make. It just doesn't bother me as much as it does him.

The point is Sal, that you guys are all CGC groupies and you ogle over each others .1 copies but when someone pays more for a copy of a book you dont agree is worth the money you mock them. Then when someone says something you jump on some bandwagon and tar and feather someone that has an opinion that differs from your own. I have fairly thick skin so feel free to tar and feather me. It might seem easy to you Sal to say you dont understand what Im trying to get at but if you could read you would get it. If thats trolling then ban me and get it over with. ( :

Do you realize that over 10% of every post you've made here in over 7 years is in this one thread since yesterday...?

Just curious.

Im not looking for a fight, I just think its unreasonable to mock someone for a purchase. Ive asked the question as many ways as I could and not one person said they would not take an unreasonable amount of money for a comic they were selling. Yet they feel the need to make fun of someone that paid what they feel is an unreasonble sum. Who is to judge what a key comic is? Is this board the judge and jury on collectible comics? You might think you are but the general public makes the decision on the going rate.

Oh. Oh oh oh.

I so wanna....my Verbose Sense is tingling...

I paid $75 for a gold Lethal Protector and thought I got a good deal in the day. Nobody made fun of me but I will die with that book because it turned me into a speculator and I dont want to forget that. It took me a few years to get back to my roots and now Im a collector again.

I'd be happy to sell you another copy...and I'll only charge you $65.

I paid $75 for a gold Lethal Protector and thought I got a good deal in the day. Nobody made fun of me but I will die with that book because it turned me into a speculator and I dont want to forget that. It took me a few years to get back to my roots and now Im a collector again.
:roflmao:

Sorry Bill, I thought you understood the forum rules, when you claim it is your last post on a subject you usually stay around and drink a few more beers and whine some more. The other rule is that you are allowed to say you will never be back but you can make ten or more posts after that. If you change your mind after your ten posts you are allowed to change your user name and start over.

lol That was pretty good.

And I never called the buyer an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. And, the original seller struck gold and timed the sale perfectly.

As others have said, the purchase was foolish. That is inarguable. Based on the number of these books out there, the age of said book, etc...just about everyone should know that more were bound to follow (and there will be even more). Do you know how many unopened cases there probably are of this book? Of course, I can't give an exact number, but even if there were only 5, there's a good chance there are a few more 9.9's.

Also, initially, you kept harping on about how everyone here was a (basically) a CGC lapdog, and that we all bow down to them. That we trip and slobber over every HG big book purchase.

For the record, I think the recent 1MM sales on the Action and the Tec were crazy. I'd never drop that kind of money on a book; even if I had it. Heck, I've never even broken the 1K barrier. But, at least there is some semblence of logic on those purchases (uber mega-keys, very scare, extremely difficult in HG, etc..).

NM 98 does not fall into any of those categories. It's a $30-50 (raw) common as dirt, kinda-key. As the census bears out (and basic knowledge of the hobby would suggest), there are probably more HG copies of this book than low grade copies.

I get what you're trying to say. Just not buying it.

And, I've made my stupid purchases as well (SW #8 in 9.6 for $75 back in 02). But, I learned my lesson quick, and I was only out $75. Alot different than being out 12K.

There are literally 100's of books out there where that 12K would have been better spent.

I think my problem with dillmeister's reasonings is that his premise is wrong.

This book's stupid price isn't affecting me, since I don't sell books. I don't care how much other books sell for in the context of this thread, since I'm not talking about other books, I'm talking about this one. Whether or not I would take $12k for a common Copper Age Marvel key in 9.9, and my relative feelings towards the hypothetical buyer of this hypothetical book has nothing to do with my opinion that this particular buyer made a very stupid decision, which is something that's not the sole province of this particular buyer.

Why we have to go through all of this is just odd to me. The back-and-forth on this thread is the sort of thing that gave Cervantes an idea for a book

I think my problem with dillmeister's reasonings is that his premise is wrong.

This book's stupid price isn't affecting me, since I don't sell books. I don't care how much other books sell for in the context of this thread, since I'm not talking about other books, I'm talking about this one. Whether or not I would take $12k for a common Copper Age Marvel key in 9.9, and my relative feelings towards the hypothetical buyer of this hypothetical book has nothing to do with my opinion that this particular buyer made a very stupid decision, which is something that's not the sole province of this particular buyer.

Why we have to go through all of this is just odd to me. The back-and-forth on this thread is the sort of thing that gave Cervantes an idea for a book

I think dillmeister is simply defending the buyer's right to buy whatever he or she feels they can afford without being called names like person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point or ldeeot.

Just like I did when the first 9.9 sold.

He is also saying that most people in this thread (if they got a 9.9) would put the book up for auction faster than it takes for a 16 year to lose his virginity in Amsterdam and then take the money and run and it's a bit hypocritical to find bashing (which is basically another way of saying name calling) towards the buyer of a high grade CGC book on the CGC forum by people who wouldn't blink twice at cashing the check if the sale was theirs.

I think that's his point.

I have to agree with him on both counts.