• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Book of fun #1

28 posts in this topic

I love restored books, especially at the right price

Rick is spot on here. Myself included. I love getting a restored comic at a tiny fraction of the unrestored price. I bought a Batman 15 that had the covers cleaned and pressed so "Slight" restoration. The book is a 9.2 and I got it for less than 20% of guide. That is guide, not what an unrestored 9.2 would have sold for. If you put in how much one would sell for in unrestored condition, the discount is even more. When you can pick up a real nice GA book at that kind of discount, it is hard to say "no" when you are buying for your personal collection and not re-sale. For re-sale, it depends on how people look at restored books in 5 to 10 years.

I love restored books, especially at the right price

Rick is spot on here. Myself included. I love getting a restored comic at a tiny fraction of the unrestored price. I bought a Batman 15 that had the covers cleaned and pressed so "Slight" restoration. The book is a 9.2 and I got it for less than 20% of guide. That is guide, not what an unrestored 9.2 would have sold for. If you put in how much one would sell for in unrestored condition, the discount is even more. When you can pick up a real nice GA book at that kind of discount, it is hard to say "no" when you are buying for your personal collection and not re-sale. For re-sale, it depends on how people look at restored books in 5 to 10 years.

This is an example of what I am talking about. So a Batman #15 "as a Batman #15" has little intrinsic value for that book as a "Batman 15". Some how that just seems to say something about "the value" of a particular book....

I've always been quite impressed with it.

A friend once showed me a pretty copy he owns, and I had, at that time, never heard of it. So he regaled me with the books history, and added that he considered it the rarest DC.

My experience gives me no way to form an informed opinion of my own, so I can't help falling into the same category. Big time book!

Heritage has moved 4 copies in the last decade, and I'm sure I've heard of one or two popping up elsewhere. Nonetheless, the early appearance and odd format surely makes this one rare.

Does your friend still have his copy?