• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you excel?

138 posts in this topic

I would like to say that I excel in an area of comics that probably more than 90% of you have never heard of and just as many don't care about. Sure, you have heard of those crappy Double Impact comics published from High Impact (later ABC/Another Bad Creation) around 1996, remember the 1st one with that chromium cover? But after those issues came and went the publisher hired a young Mexican artist named Armando Huerta. This guy Huerta is absolutely fantastic with his very beautiful and highly erotic airbrushed covers along with highly detailed pen and ink style interior art. These books only had a print run of around a few thousand each and most comic stores did not even order them as they could not be appropriately displayed due to very graphic covers that go waaaay beyond any other adult comics that I have ever seen. So anyway, although I have sold most of my copies already, I still have quite a few left that I am keeping for the long haul. So, I can't say I have the biggest or best collection in anything else, but maybe I can with these. -----Sid

I was wondering:

1. What you excel in eg. Genre, title, publisher etc. ?

2. Do you think you are one of the biggest collectors in that area?

Danny

1. Timely Superhero issues.

2. Probably the #2 collection in the world regarding condition, but my collection is not as complete as others. IE: Richie Evans and John Berk may have more issues than me but in lower grades.

Timely

1. Silver Age Marvel SuperHeroes, particularly Iron Man and Silver Surfer. Somewhat w/ Spidey and FF, but many comic hobbyists are more knowledgeable w the 2 former characters than I. On occasion I would need to ask them a Q or two.

2a. I am probaly the 2nd largest collector of the Beatles Dell in total copies. There is a fine hobbyist in Kentucky that had 51 of them at last count. I lost contact with him and unsure of how many high-grades of the Beatles Dell he had - I might be the top collector of the high-grades.

2b. Once had 818 total copies of Iron Man and Sub-Mariner # 1 of which 55 were CGC'd. I have sold some in 2003 and under 800 left now. I have asked many times but no one can come up with the # 2 collector of this Title. I THINK Gary Dolgoff has 25 copies, and Metropolis has the same amount. I will post a picture of some of them later. Gene Colan was the artist for both stories and Johnny Craig was the inker. I am a huge fan of Mr. Gene Colan.

2c. I have an extensive Silver Surfer 1st series collection, mostly obtained on eBay, and almost all high-grade( 7.0 and higher) I still maintain that those comics hold their value and are hard to get. Plus the story and art was great too! hi.gif

2 - I daren't answer this for fear of being accused of being self absorbed again. If I answer yes, then I will be so accused, and if I answer no, then I'll be accused of mocking the thread. So how do I answer it ???

Do you ever NOT try to play the victim? 893frustrated.gif

Or do you only like to draw attention to yourself..... insane.gif

Jim

I was wondering:

Danny

1. Marvel's Avengers! I collected them when I was younger (mid 70's), and now that I have the means, I am colecting them again - with #1-200 in CGC high grade.

2. Dunno. The Detroit area has quite a few collectors, and a few BSD dealers (Jason Ewart, Harley Yee, Motor City Comics) - so I am unsure of who the major collectors are around here. I am #6 for Avengers on the CGC Registry though! grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Do you ever NOT try to play the victim? 893frustrated.gif

Or do you only like to draw attention to yourself..... insane.gif

Jim

I was just counting the seconds to see who'd be the first to jump in with both feet.

So it's the attention.....

Jim

I was wondering:

1. I've got an almost complete collection of DC Bronze Age mystery comics, although I also tend to collect a bit of everything (G.A., S.A., Pre -code Horror etc.). I went for the B.A. mystery comics because they were the first U.S. comics I ever read.

2. I'll never know - I have a feeling a lot of collectors would have as good runs in HG of the books I'm after (they don't have to be slabbed). There must be a fair few out there who would have every HOM, HOS, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Witching Hour etc. in 9.2 or better, as they're generally not impossible to obtain. So I'll say no.

There must be a fair few out there who would have every HOM, HOS, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Witching Hour etc. in 9.2 or better, as they're generally not impossible to obtain. So I'll say no.

I disagree Andy.

First of all, a complete run of House Of Mystery is incredibly difficult to assemble, Certain numbers like 17, 27, 37, and 50 are seriously scarce. (House Of Secrets is far easier.)

Then if you could assemble a complete run, I'd venture to say that a run of 9.2s of the whole set would be virtually impossible.