• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who said it?

34 posts in this topic

For the second comment about Amazing Fantasy 15, etc. think about who else was at the absolute top of the back issue game back then. There's some irony as his quote talks about him staking his reputation and his reputation five years later was basically mud.

Jay Maybruck?

Bingo! :applause:

For the second comment about Amazing Fantasy 15, etc. think about who else was at the absolute top of the back issue game back then. There's some irony as his quote talks about him staking his reputation and his reputation five years later was basically mud.

Jay Maybruck?

Bingo! :applause::acclaim:

"Finally, the most often asked question--what is the most valuable comic? Easy. The Mile High Action #1. It is and always will be. (Its condition is perfect whereas the Mile High Detective #27 is only a VF/NM. I say "only" - I wouldn't mind owning the nicest Detective 27 either.) What would or could this book sell for? A client of ours, four years ago, offered $123,000 in cold cash. No check. The ownder wouldn't sell, but so far that's the most real money ever offered for a comic. And today I suspect that price would be cheap."

The variety of guesses shows there's no shortage of dealers who were at or near the top at some point and ended up with very poor reputations...

You sure the first quote wasn't from Greg White? :shrug:

:kidaround:

Excellent, excellent. Both are from an Overstreet update,1989. Amazing that it took many more years before CGC got started.

The first quote is actually Fischler, not the second.

:acclaim:

I've read that quote a dozen times in that update...#8? #11?....are you sure it's Fischler? I'm sure you have the update in front of you, but I thought for sure it was Keith Contarino, who was talking about it all the way back then.

Anyhoo...they had been talking about it for many, many years, right after coins started in '86 and '87, but it took a long time to get all the ducks in a row.

Yes, it's Fischler. Page 17. Contarino has a nearly three page one starting on p. 13. From skimming his report, I only see this on the same topic: I've given some thought to giving up the comics business and becoming involved in an impartial grading service. A service that would have to be set up through Overstreet as Bob's is the most respected name in our business. I'll admit that ideally, no one should grade his/her own books.

The ComicZone interviews with Maybruck are extremely interesting.

to those non-Greggy's in the audience, a capsule summary of Maybruck- some of us noobs have never heard of him.

I'm probably not the one to do this and was only set up at one show that featured Sparkle City back in the day. But essentially, Jay Maybruck started selling comics mid to late 70s around Pittsburgh? And sold $1000 at his very first show and the business was booming, turned out he had a knack for it, and he developed certain techniques for buying and selling that served him well. He worked like crazy, had good second in commands, and was the top dealer for essentially the 80s. His ads dominated CBG, etc. and they were basically the Metropolis of the day. As recounted in the Comic Zone his downfall came when he tried to start a magazine to compete with Wizard and McFarlane backed out of a deal and then how he blew Geppi's money and essentially flamed out of the comics business over one weekend is perhaps too sordid for me to type.