• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You did what? A pedigree love story.

241 posts in this topic

So you tracked down an undisclosed Pedigree, sent it in for pressing, got a nice grade and $$$ bump (not to mention PQ) and are posting this for us all to bathe in your largess?

Not really, I thoguht it was a fun story

It was a *great* story.. right up until you pressed it into a 9.0.

off, Vince.

He's right though...

Jim

He is neither right nor wrong, that is just his opinion.

He's right though...

Jim

Maybe so, but this thread isn't the time or the place for it. This WAS a fun thread. There are 5000 other threads for bitching and moaning (thumbs u

No one is person_without_enough_empathying and moaning. But when you see a ped get "modified", for no apparent reason, then you can't expect everyone to share your fun. The search was fun. It's a ped for a reason and you've now made it less fun...

Not our fault for pointing it out...

Jim

Whatever, Jimbo. Enjoy your day. Perhaps you'll get to see some Girl Scout fall and skin her knees. :wishluck:

So you tracked down an undisclosed Pedigree, sent it in for pressing, got a nice grade and $$$ bump (not to mention PQ) and are posting this for us all to bathe in your largess?

off, Vince.

He's right though...

Jim

So a ped which survived the ravages of time in the condition it was in only to be "modified" to something different than it's original state isn't something to comment on? Or have an opinion on?

A ped is touted as a collection from an original owner in the condition that it existed while in his/her care. Pressing the comic changes that "condition". It's now not original but more a Franken-book that once existed in someone's collection.

Jim

He's right though...

Jim

Maybe so, but this thread isn't the time or the place for it. This WAS a fun thread. There are 5000 other threads for bitching and moaning (thumbs u

No one is person_without_enough_empathying and moaning. But when you see a ped get "modified", for no apparent reason, then you can't expect everyone to share your fun. The search was fun. It's a ped for a reason and you've now made it less fun...

Not our fault for pointing it out...

Jim

Whatever, Jimbo. Enjoy your day. Perhaps you'll get to see some Girl Scout fall and skin her knees. :wishluck:

You can't be so naive, or maybe so, that you expected no one to comment on it?

It's not your pressing the book that's disturbing was the rationale for it. So you figured that since someone else was going to do it so you'd go ahead and do it? That a monetary rationale rather than a concern for the comic itself...

Jim

off, Vince.

He's right though...

Jim

So a ped which survived the ravages of time in the condition it was in only to be "modified" to something different than it's original state isn't something to comment on? Or have an opinion on?

A ped is touted as a collection from an original owner in the condition that it existed while in his/her care. Pressing the comic changes that "condition". It's now not original but more a Franken-book that once existed in someone's collection.

Jim

I didn't say it wasn't something to comment or have an opinion on. Your statement that it was "right" is just your opinion as well, you do not determine what is right or wrong.

I may be late to the party, but isn't pressing of Pedigrees frowned upon by most collectors - kinda defeats the purpose of a Pedigree notation if you're gonna flatten it.

Actually, its the pressing of Pedigrees and resubmitting them without their Pedigree notation that is frowned upon by most collectors.

Just Pressing them seems to be a thorn in the side for all of about four Boardies, the rest of us really don't care one way or another.

Sweet Jim, you managed to cleverly start another Pressing thread.... :makepoint:

Really? On a forum full of dealers/flippers bumping up a grade without receiving a purple label isn't frowned upon. Who would have thunk it?

off, Vince.

He's right though...

Jim

Jim

Disclaimer..I dont collect pedigrees and I dont feel that pressing is restoration.

However, basing my opinion upon the health of the hobby and my general respect for it as well, I don't feel that pressing a known pedigreed book was the right course of action.

Ownership does have its privileges but I would hope to see just a bit more respect for the so called pedigrees of the comic collecting world. Its kind of like taking a Duncan Phyfe chair and having it refinished...removing the patina (its history).

I may be late to the party, but isn't pressing of Pedigrees frowned upon by most collectors - kinda defeats the purpose of a Pedigree notation if you're gonna flatten it.

Actually, its the pressing of Pedigrees and resubmitting them without their Pedigree notation that is frowned upon by most collectors.

Just Pressing them seems to be a thorn in the side for all of about four Boardies, the rest of us really don't care one way or another.

Sweet Jim, you managed to cleverly start another Pressing thread.... :makepoint:

I'm not going to get involved in this, but I am going to point out that this is simply deliberate misinformation, George. :baiting:

You damned well know as well as I do that there are a large number of boarders who consider pressing to be resto, and/or are concerned about its popularity.

Every single poll we've run, over a number of years, has had the naysayers at around 40% of respondents.

Minimising the other side's point of view has always been the best way to start a meltdown. (tsk)

It's no big deal. I was having fun and I thought it was interesting. I failed to realize that some are so narrow minded that they can't see past the fact that this isn't a pressing thread.

I've learned my lesson; no more sharing outside PM threads. And people wonder why Comics General sucks.

Disclosure: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Not really. You won't be damned if the comic was original and you have the moxie to keep it that way. Hell, you'd be respected in the current environment. It's only when you decided to change that comic for higher goals that the distain falls...

Jim

I'm not going to get involved in this, but I am going to point out that this is simply deliberate misinformation, George. :baiting:

You damned well know as well as I do that there are a large number of boarders who consider pressing to be resto, and/or are concerned about its popularity.

Every single poll we've run, over a number of years, has had the naysayers at around 40% of respondents.

Minimising the other side's point of view has always been the best way to start a meltdown. (tsk)

Sorry, I can't hear you. Can you speak up?

:baiting:

I've learned my lesson; no more sharing outside PM threads. And people wonder why Comics General sucks.

Jim, you did start the thread title with "You did what?" so you must have known it would ruffle a few feathers. Especially on the topic of pressing a Pedigree.

:makepoint:

For what it's worth, you're free to do what you want with your books but you do know that not everyone is going to take it the same way.

(shrug)

I'm bathing in your grammar finess :gossip:

I hope you're not trying to intone I spelled the word wrong... it doesn't have to have an "e".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/largess

I think you need a bath yourself.

It's no big deal. I was having fun and I thought it was interesting. I failed to realize that some are so narrow minded that they can't see past the fact that this isn't a pressing thread.

Oh, please. You new exactly what you were doing when you got out of bed.

ferris_cricket.jpg

I'm insulted. :baiting:

Really? On a forum full of dealers/flippers bumping up a grade without receiving a purple label isn't frowned upon. Who would have thunk it?

Exactly, and these guys don't give a flying F if their mass-pressing kills the hobby in the long-term, they just want to get their cash as fast as possible, then get out.

Every time a vintage comic gets pressed to a higher grade, thereby swelling the Census artificially from what the available copies were previously, it's like taking a hammer to a brick wall. Sure, it'll sustain a lot of hits, but sooner or later it's gonna come down.

And I don't think that's anything to celebrate, assuming you're not a dealer.

Exactly, and these guys don't give a flying F if their mass-pressing kills the hobby in the long-term, they just want to get their cash as fast as possible, then get out.

Every time a vintage comic gets pressed to a higher grade, thereby swelling the Census artificially from what the available copies were previously, it's like taking a hammer to a brick wall. Sure, it'll sustain a lot of hits, but sooner or later it's gonna come down.

And I don't think that's anything to celebrate, assuming you're not a dealer.

What are you doing that adds so much value to the hobby Vince?