• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You did what? A pedigree love story.

241 posts in this topic

Okay, satisfied with the scans that it is indeed the same book, we agree upon a purchase price of $368. When I received the book, I immediately knew why it had received the grade of 8.0. The back cover had been scrunched something awful. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to have another X-Men Northland to add to my collection; however, the fact that it wasn't recognized as such and that it looked like mess from the back kept gnawing at me.

I talk to my buddies about it and they recommend that I talk to Mr. Haspel a.k.a The Haspel Hammer, at CGC. It just so happened that I was headed to WW New York and ran into him there. I explained my situation and he said that if I could prove the book was indeed the same book, then he would have no trouble re-certifying it as the Northland copy. Lucky for me, I had saved all my e-mails, the attached scans and the eBay auction with all the pictures it included.

Hot damn! I was so excited that I went over to Superworld Ted's booth and ate all of GACollectibles' Twizzlers when he wasn't looking.

I waited as patiently for a response as joeypost waits for CGC to grade books.

:mad:

:foryou:

I just told Harshen to push the Joeypost books back another week. He needs to detox. :baiting:

crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

I didn't feel comfortable just packing the book up and sending it to CGC, so I waited for MegaCon and took it down to Florida in person. Again, as luck would have it, Mr. Haspel was attending MegaCon. I refreshed his memory concerning our New York conversation and he said to go ahead and submit the book and e-mail all the pertinent information to his e-mail address.

I had decided that the book could benefit from being pressed.

I can hear it now, "You did what?" Yep, I did.

So, I I had a close friend give it the professional treatment and the book came out beautifully. It was really nice to see what all was involved in the process first hand. Anyway, with fingers crossed, we submitted it to CGC and again waited patiently.

Fast forward, I know, too late for that, to Chicago and my newly slabbed X-Men #8 is hand delivered to me... complete with the Northland designation on the label and a nifty new grade of 9.0. Needless to say, I'm still on cloud nine. :cloud9:

xmen8north.jpg

What's with the arrow drawn on the back cover?

That's the small tear that helps identify the book. It's difficult to see in the scan.

You can see it all the way to the left across from the "J" in John.

xmen8backbig.jpg

You brought one back from the spinning vortex of random common books....well done.

I figured it was headed for crack, press and resub -minus the designation- anyway, so I did it partly for selfish reasons, but I didn't want the pedigree lost either. The label shouldn't matter that much, but the certificate was long gone and I wanted the historical value. Well, whatever history was left after I had most of it squished out. :)

Why do i feel like this is all an elaborate jab at Toronto Jim?

I don't know, because it isn't. I'm just having a little fun telling a comic book story. I know you could be confused as they don't show up often in Comics General.

Hot damn! I was so excited that I went over to Superworld Ted's booth and ate all of GACollectibles' Twizzlers when he wasn't looking.

:censored:

You denied it so I accused Ted and gave him a wedgie! :frustrated:

Why does it feel like I've heard this story before?

I bought a Church copy that wasn't listed as such. The book ended up being stolen.

lol

:censored:

You denied it so I accused Ted and gave him a wedgie! :frustrated:

It really wasn't me. I think it was Hotflips. hm

I didn't feel comfortable just packing the book up and sending it to CGC, so I waited for MegaCon and took it down to Florida in person. Again, as luck would have it, Mr. Haspel was attending MegaCon. I refreshed his memory concerning our New York conversation and he said to go ahead and submit the book and e-mail all the pertinent information to his e-mail address.

I had decided that the book could benefit from being pressed.

I can hear it now, "You did what?" Yep, I did.

So, I I had a close friend give it the professional treatment and the book came out beautifully. It was really nice to see what all was involved in the process first hand. Anyway, with fingers crossed, we submitted it to CGC and again waited patiently.

Fast forward, I know, too late for that, to Chicago and my newly slabbed X-Men #8 is hand delivered to me... complete with the Northland designation on the label and a nifty new grade of 9.0. Needless to say, I'm still on cloud nine. :cloud9:

xmen8north.jpg

and of course, you'll be sending the gentlemen who sold it to you the difference in value between an 8.0 and 9.0

and of course, you'll be sending the gentlemen who sold it to you the difference in value between an 8.0 and 9.0
It is clear to me that what was done was done for money only.