• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on staple replacement

15 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

Since I have never had a book with this notation, I don't really no how to price it.

I had this book just graded (not back yet) from a group of books I purchased. The notes from CGC are 8.0 qualified - staples replaced...what would the value of the book be then? I know they typically sell in the $800-900 range unrestored.

This will also go up for sale when I get it back.

Thanks,

Steve

Depends on the book. If it's a scarce or sought after book it might fetch half to full price (not likely unless it's a really tough book).

if it's more common, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of FMV.

All depends on what the book is.

No idea. In the OSPG world I think staple replacement was allowed up to 8.0

In the new world, 1/4 to 1/2 guide.

Find the right buyer, and if the eye appeal is nice and they'll probably buy it and crack it for their run and pay full guide.

Some people still don't care about stuff like this.

For me staple replacement is really a non issue, so I'm one of those people. I wouldn't pay full value, but it's really a complete non issue to me.

There you go.

(thumbs u

This book looks nicer then an 8.0 and has WHITE pages to boot...if I remember right, it has a couple indents along the spine that keep it from a higher grade. I know it had bright colors and nice gloss.

Steve

I've heard the suggestion thrown out there for staples being replaced with vintage/aged ones for a blue label. This suggestion was made on a GA book which had the staples cleaned, but I imagine it could be done convincingly for any era depending on the person performing the work.

Overstreet says a book can have replacement staples, but a VF or better must have staples from the same time period.

That being the case, I'd have no problem cracking it out and selling it as a raw 7.0.