• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Comic Book History Lesson--The Story of the Outlaw Sam Bass

35 posts in this topic

Some of you may know that I live in Round Rock, Texas. For those of you who might not know, Round Rock is about 15 minutes north of downtown Austin and is the second fastest growing city in the United States. 20 years ago Round Rock was a town with only a few traffic lights. Now it is home to Dell Computer and the Round Rock Express. The Express are the Triple A affiliate of the Houston Astros and are owned by Nolan Ryan's sons. Nolan happens to be a mostly silent partner as he is busy helping run the Texas Rangers. I am providing this information to give you somewhat of a background on where the city is today. However, the history of Round Rock goes alot deeper. The most important figure from the town's early days would have to be none other than an outlaw named Sam Bass. Back in the 1870's there wasn't an outlaw who was more famous than Sam. This is not to say that he was an intelligent character. Far from it. What Sam lacked in good sense, he more than made up for with balls of steel.

I love history and graduated from UNC with a double major in Political Science and History. I have a great interest in the Civil War and have been to about 35 different battlefields. My great-great-great-great grandfather fought with the NC 37th Infantry and was captured at Gettysburg. He later died of dysentery at Point Lookout Prison, Maryland while as a prisoner. My family on my mom's side have lived in North Carolina since the 1600's and I have traced my named ancestors back to 1710. History is in my blood. That is why I thought I would share this with you tonight.

I am going to start with the comic book version of Sam Bass. His lone story took place in Wild Bill Hickok #10 from February, 1952. The story places Sam in Deadwood...as well as Wild Bill. Wild Bill was killed by Jack McCall soon after Bill's arrival in Deadwood. Therefore, Bill's history as a resident in Deadwood was short to say the least.

I hope you enjoy.

Scott

Sam_bass_gang.jpg

This is one of only few known photographs of Sam Bass, who is standing at left, was taken in Dallas when he was helping to drive a cattle herd to Kansas in the summer of 1876. Standing next to him is John E. Gardner. Seated are Joel Collins (right), who would become Bass' partner in crime up north, and Joel's brother Joe Collins.

Sam's original headstone, which now resides in the Round Rock Public Library....a stones throw from where he murdered Deputy A. W. Grimes. It was chipped away by souvenir hunters for about 100 years until it was finally replaced with a new stone.

DSC05079.JPG