• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C2E2 2011 Poll....where would you like to see it held?

Where should C2E2 in 2011 be held?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Where should C2E2 in 2011 be held?

42 posts in this topic

I dont know. I would love Vegas to have a show. I think with the proper promotion and advertising it would be a hit. You dont think big name Hollywood actors would go to a show in Vegas. I think if done right, it would work.

You mean another San Diego?

Maybe not of that magnitude in the beginning. I mean NYCC drew 75,000 people last year according to Reed, so, like i said, with the proper marketing and promoting, I dont see why not. I wouldnt throw it in July, but at the end of the year as a end of convention season show would be nice. Plus, i never been there, and everyone says I should go. Gonna try to get there this year, but thats another story.

Jeff

Jeff:

The way you play cards, it's best if you stay out of Vegas.

Love,

Mike

You dont want none of this Mike. Wait till Rosemont. I've become a pro at spider solitare now. Get your game on!!

lol

Vegas is a bit more out of the way.

From what I've heard cons don't do very well there...don't know why.

because of

Vegas would be a great spot too, but then I would probably spend all of my money gambling and stay up all night.

That is the biggest issue with Vegas is attendees have a habit of spending their money in the WRONG place.

I vote to move it to Las Vegas. The city is built to handle conventions. Cheap airfares, tons of hotels, public transportation built to work with conventions and the main convention center is plenty big to allow the show to grow when it needs to. Just my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute you live in Vegas :slapfight: I live near O'hare . :kidaround: Oh a wise guy trying to muscle in the cool cons that come to Chicago.

:jokealert:

It's not like I don't go to cons outside of Vegas. Hell I just got through spending 8 nights out of the last 12 on the road in hotel rooms between Chicago and Pittsburgh. I probrobly do more cons then anyone else on the boards including retailers. I just think that if done right it could work in Las Vegas.

Vegas aside, I'd love to see it somewhere else in Chicago that's not as isolated as McCormick Place, and perhaps more active than Rosemont. I was at the show from Wednesday night 'til Saturday evening, and I barely got to "enjoy" downtown Chicago. I love downtown Chicago, but I'd like the chance to experience it instead of wading through cabs and traffic back and forth just to get a real deep dish pizza.

If it's going to be McCormick, I'd love one of the other buildings closer to the Hyatt, or at least closer to the other services like food courts, cab lines, etc.

I do like the setup at Rosemont, actually. You know which 2 to 3 bars everyone's gonna be at afterwards, and I like Gibson's. I do agree that it'd be nice to have more food choices within walking distance, but I've stayed at the Hyatt there, the Holiday Inn and the Doubletree over the years, all were great.

I think this con has the ability to be the #2 or #3 show in the country. Those of us that remember the old Chicago Comicons and the early Wizard shows know that Chicago can draw from a large base of comic fans from surrounding states. Reed has shown that they can draw the publishers, exhibitors, and artists. They just need to work on the public and the retailers.

Joel

Just about any venue is going to have drawbacks. It's which drawbacks can you live with and which can't you. The answer to that question will vary depending on the individual. Because I worked downtown most of my life, it's no big deal to me. I just hate dealing with the traffic and the high costs of doing business there. I'd prefer a change in venue, but if C2E2 stays at McCormick that's fine. I would just hate for the venue to be the reason my favorite dealers don't attend. That being said, I'll still attend, I'll still help dealers load in and out, and I'll still have a great time :grin:

In all honesty, the biggest problem for me was the load out, as you can atest to Angelo ( (worship)(worship) ). That seriously set me back for which I am still trying to catch up here. Those three hours did make a big difference. I could also do without the high parking fees and long walks. But other than that, i had a blast and ill be there next year wherever it is.

I could also do without the high parking fees and long walks.

In all honesty, the parking fees at C2E2 were totally reasonable (for Chicago). $19/day is less than what I usually pay at the Rosemont.

In all honesty, the parking fees at C2E2 were totally reasonable (for Chicago). $19/day is less than what I usually pay at the Rosemont.

I agree. People that aren't familiar with downtown Chicago parking rates, where you'll get charged $18 for the first 1/2 hour, see that fee as astronomical - when it really isn't, relatively speaking

I agree. People that aren't familiar with downtown Chicago parking rates, where you'll get charged $18 for the first 1/2 hour, see that fee as astronomical - when it really isn't, relatively speaking

No, no, no, no, i totally get it. I have been to Manhattan just about every weekend in my life so I am quite accustomed to high parking fees. Just didnt like the fact that we were FORCED to park there on Thursday for a couple of hours and still had to pay that. Plus the walk from there. Add on top, that I had to pay for parking at the hotel I already gave money to.

I don't know, maybe if I was charged $155 a night for the room, instead of $130 a night, ill be taking this a little better, who knows.

Also, at the Rosemont, they charge you for parking as well at the hotels. But, the convention center is within walking distance so you dont have to pay twice AND the room rates are a lot less. (Not to mention there is a choice of food if you want, you are not forced to eat McDonalds). They didnt even have a dollar menu!! :(

No Sweat and I hope I didnt come off as angry because that wasnt my intent (well, maybe the dollar menu at McDonalds I was.) I get what you are saying though. In any major city, parking is high in garages and lots.

I vote to move it to Las Vegas. The city is built to handle conventions. Cheap airfares, tons of hotels, public transportation built to work with conventions and the main convention center is plenty big to allow the show to grow when it needs to. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with this! (thumbs u

This is just a guess on my part, but I'd say "yes". At McCormick you had to pay for each table you used, pay for the chairs, if your inventory was over a certain weight or quantity you had to anty up for the union guys to unload it (and the rates are brutal), the booth rates would likely be lower, etc. All this translates to dealers having less overhead and more room to make a profit

After the first 50 votes, the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center leads with 19 votes with the Lakeside Center at McCormick Place placing 2nd with 14 votes. Continue voting and maybe YoDude can use this poll in their decision-making process.

No Sweat and I hope I didnt come off as angry because that wasnt my intent (well, maybe the dollar menu at McDonalds I was.) I get what you are saying though. In any major city, parking is high in garages and lots.
Suck it up, dork

Suck it up, dork

Dork?? Really?? I havent been called that in like, well i dont think ive ever been called that. Im gonna google it and ill get back to you tomorrow.

Suck it up, dork

Dork?? Really?? I havent been called that in like, well i dont think ive ever been called that. Im gonna google it and ill get back to you tomorrow.

How about fool? :whistle: