• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The review is in! IRON MAN II Is a STINKER!

332 posts in this topic

Dust, you're pretty critical of her obviously.

I have been a bit harsh, that's true. It's not that I don't find her likeable (she is), it's just that her current pre-eminence has yet to foster a genuinely convincing role from her. It isn't necessarily about her acting chops - (Meryl Streep for example is a great technician as an actress but is equally detached in everything she's done) just that I've yet to see any real effort.

I gotta agree with goldust on this; while I could look at Scar Jo all day long, her acting sure has a long ways to go still. I also think she is "wooden" frequently in her roles; just no pizazz. That said, I sure didn't mind seeing her in the flick. :headbang:

I thought she was fantastic in Lost in Translation, one of my all time favorite films. She was good in Love Song for Bobby Long, Matchpoint, etc....

When you consider that some of her best performances occurred when she was in her late teens, early twenties, and she's still only 26 years old, she's should have a long and fruitful career. IMO, she's done enough really good work already to be considered a "good" actress and not just eye candy.

Is there a missing part in the movie?

In the trailer they show Pepper kissing the Iron Man helmet and tossing it off the roof, then Tony jumps off the roof after it.

I don't remember seeing that in the movie.

Did I miss it?

or

Was it cut from the movie? hm

Saw the movie, thought it was loads of fun. Enjoyed all of the characters, thought the performances were just fine. A little bigger teaser for Thor would have been fun. Bottom line is that the plot could have used some tightening, but I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. They picked the perfect guy (guy who plays Roger Sterling from Mad Men) for Howard Stark. Robert Downey Jr. once again terrific. Thought Scarlett and Gwyenth were both good in their roles. Would have loved more from Black Widow -- and think that the Widow is a complicated enough character that Scarlett would actually do a great movie with just her alone (and a helluva lot cheaper than IM I might add).

How is Don Blake going to find `The Hammer' in a cave while being chased by rock dudes if S.H.I.E.L.D. finds it in the middle of nowhere underground?

It sounds like he's not, THANK GOD! I enjoy Thor, and finding the hammer is fine, but the rock dudes and many other plot points in JIM #83 are just goofy. This wasn't one of Stan's best origin issues. :eek:

Is there a missing part in the movie?

In the trailer they show Pepper kissing the Iron Man helmet and tossing it off the roof, then Tony jumps off the roof after it.

I don't remember seeing that in the movie.

Did I miss it?

or

Was it cut from the movie? hm

I don't think it was a roof. I think it was an alternate to the beginning scene where he jumps out of the cargo plane. She's standing there, kisses the face-plate and throws it. He looks back and just before jumping out says. "You complete me!"

How is Don Blake going to find `The Hammer' in a cave while being chased by rock dudes if S.H.I.E.L.D. finds it in the middle of nowhere underground?

It sounds like he's not, THANK GOD! I enjoy Thor, and finding the hammer is fine, but the rock dudes and many other plot points in JIM #83 are just goofy. This wasn't one of Stan's best origin issues. :eek:

yeah but it's a classic cover though. :baiting:

yeah but it's a classic cover though. :baiting:

New Mexico has lots of rocks.

I like rock people :(

Saw the movie, thought it was loads of fun. Enjoyed all of the characters, thought the performances were just fine. A little bigger teaser for Thor would have been fun. Bottom line is that the plot could have used some tightening, but I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. They picked the perfect guy (guy who plays Roger Sterling from Mad Men) for Howard Stark. Robert Downey Jr. once again terrific. Thought Scarlett and Gwyenth were both good in their roles. Would have loved more from Black Widow -- and think that the Widow is a complicated enough character that Scarlett would actually do a great movie with just her alone (and a helluva lot cheaper than IM I might add).

*SLIGHT SPOILER BUT NOTHING TOO BIG*

I actually thought that the Howard Stark scene was a direct tribute to Walt Disney's intro of Disneyland if you've not seen it. Check out the video link from minutes 3:30 - 4:50. Howard Stark's model definitely resembled the Disneyland model and Howard Stark even looked a little like Walt Disney.

He also GREATLY resembled a terrific, retro Don Heck version of Tony Stark...or am I wrong?

Little throwbacks and hints like this made the movie a lot of fun for me.

They could have used the rock creature from the movie Galaxy Quest. hm

It's safe to assume that they aren't following any of the 1962/1963 story lines very closely.

The movie universe is the Ultimate universe, so there isn't going to be a Don Blake, not exactly. But they seem to pepper little nods to the original MU in most of the movies so he might be in there in some form.

I actually thought that the Howard Stark scene was a direct tribute to Walt Disney's intro of Disneyland if you've not seen it. Check out the video link from minutes 3:30 - 4:50. Howard Stark's model definitely resembled the Disneyland model and Howard Stark even looked a little like Walt Disney.

He also GREATLY resembled a terrific, retro Don Heck version of Tony Stark...or am I wrong?

I thought the same thing when I was watching it.

The movie universe is the Ultimate universe, so there isn't going to be a Don Blake, not exactly. But they seem to pepper little nods to the original MU in most of the movies so he might be in there in some form.

Well... it can't be entirely the Ultimate U, because the hammer they're using for Thor is classic Marvel U. I always think of it as a blend of the classic going along with the updated Marvel U.

I thought the use of Nick Fury was more corny in IM 2 than the first. Anxious to see how they treat Cap.

It was supposed to be. I remember watching those shows as a wee lad. :preach:

That definitely was one of the more witty and clever moments in the film...shame they couldn't've added more scenes like that one.