• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The review is in! IRON MAN II Is a STINKER!

332 posts in this topic

Saw the movie, thought it was loads of fun. Enjoyed all of the characters, thought the performances were just fine. A little bigger teaser for Thor would have been fun. Bottom line is that the plot could have used some tightening, but I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. They picked the perfect guy (guy who plays Roger Sterling from Mad Men) for Howard Stark. Robert Downey Jr. once again terrific. Thought Scarlett and Gwyenth were both good in their roles. Would have loved more from Black Widow -- and think that the Widow is a complicated enough character that Scarlett would actually do a great movie with just her alone (and a helluva lot cheaper than IM I might add).

*SLIGHT SPOILER BUT NOTHING TOO BIG*

I actually thought that the Howard Stark scene was a direct tribute to Walt Disney's intro of Disneyland if you've not seen it. Check out the video link from minutes 3:30 - 4:50. Howard Stark's model definitely resembled the Disneyland model and Howard Stark even looked a little like Walt Disney.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.

Saw the movie, thought it was loads of fun. Enjoyed all of the characters, thought the performances were just fine. A little bigger teaser for Thor would have been fun. Bottom line is that the plot could have used some tightening, but I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. They picked the perfect guy (guy who plays Roger Sterling from Mad Men) for Howard Stark. Robert Downey Jr. once again terrific. Thought Scarlett and Gwyenth were both good in their roles. Would have loved more from Black Widow -- and think that the Widow is a complicated enough character that Scarlett would actually do a great movie with just her alone (and a helluva lot cheaper than IM I might add).

I actually thought that the Howard Stark scene was a direct tribute to Walt Disney's intro of Disneyland if you've not seen it. Check out the video link from minutes 3:30 - 4:50. Howard Stark's model definitely resembled the Disneyland model and Howard Stark even looked a little like Walt Disney.

I agree with most of these assessments, however I did not think that Scarlett was very good in the BW role. Might be a personal bias I'm bringing to to the table but I just felt like her acting was not on par with that of RD Jr's or Paltrow's.

I agree with most of these assessments, however I did not think that Scarlett was very good in the BW role. Might be a personal bias I'm bringing to to the table but I just felt like her acting was not on par with that of RD Jr's or Paltrow's.

She can be a bit robotic IMHO also.

a lot was cut out from the trailers that didn't make it on the final cut, like the dancers or cheerleaders.

There were many dancing girls in the EXPO scene at the beginning...

not the part from the trailer when he was flying to it.

a lot was cut out from the trailers that didn't make it on the final cut, like the dancers or cheerleaders.

There were many dancing girls in the EXPO scene at the beginning...

not the part from the trailer when he was flying to it.

Which part then? You said a lot was cut from the trailers. I can't remember any other dancing girls.

I saw it and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's always nice to pleasantly surprised. I thought, as always, that Downey Jr. rocked. The "Happy fight" didn't bother me at all, and Scarlett, while underused and under-developed, was fine and didn't add too much, or detract. I thought Sam Rockwell was awesome and did a lot with a role that was under-written.

All in all, a great experience.

I saw it and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's always nice to pleasantly surprised. I thought, as always, that Downey Jr. rocked. The "Happy fight" didn't bother me at all, and Scarlett, while underused and under-developed, was fine and didn't add too much, or detract. I thought Sam Rockwell was awesome and did a lot with a role that was under-written.

All in all, a great experience.

i agree w/ most of this. certainly wasn't nearly as fresh as the first film but wasn't as bad as i'd feared either. was entertaining. i did not like the hammer character tho. there was no menace in the portrayal. to me that was the weakest link.

Me 3 (thumbs u BTW, I enjoyed it thoroughly :applause:

It rocked!! :headbang:

Word.

While my wife didn't like it as much as the original, she still dug it. I have to say I think it was as good, if not better, then the first. It managed to be what a good comic book movie should be: engaging and entertaining.

Actually, the only real disappointment in the whole film was waiting 10 minutes for that lame shot of Thor's hammer.

My only nitpick with the movie was when Danko went to the Grand Prix of Monaco to confront Stark early in the movie. While it was reasonable to assume Stark would be there, Tony apparently made a last minute change and decided to drive the Stark car himself. How would Danko "know" about that?

Word.

While my wife didn't like it as much as the original, she still dug it. I have to say I think it was as good, if not better, then the first. It managed to be what a good comic book movie should be: engaging and entertaining.

Actually, the only real disappointment in the whole film was waiting 10 minutes for that lame shot of Thor's hammer.

My only nitpick with the movie was when Danko went to the Grand Prix of Monaco to confront Stark early in the movie. While it was reasonable to assume Stark would be there, Tony apparently made a last minute change and decided to drive the Stark car himself. How would Danko "know" about that?

I don't think it matters if he was driving or not. He knew he was there in some capacity and would probably be in a VIP seat with limited access. Thus, the orange jumpsuit gave him the magical ability to go anywhere.

I went to see IM2 yesterday night and I was disappointed. The movie lacked the comedy aspect and the overall charm of the first film.

Having said that the acting was good and the action scenes were top notch.

I sort of felt that they forced the avengers topic again…

I’d recommend seeing the film if you have not yet done so…

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars

:applause: So true! (worship)

Word.

I don't think it matters if he was driving or not. He knew he was there in some capacity and would probably be in a VIP seat with limited access. Thus, the orange jumpsuit gave him the magical ability to go anywhere.

Would it have given him the ability to go to the VIP lounge where Stark was expected to be? In the context of the movie, Stark's decision to take over as driver seemed impulsive and cut very close to the starting point of the race....just too convenient IMO for Mr. Danko.

But, like I said, it was a small nitpick at best.