• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decepticon's - DC Comic Con Report (w/ pics!)

9 posts in this topic

The first DC Comic Con has come to a conclusion. I got there around 9:50 AM, and saw that there was a small crowd hanging outside of the venue. I thought everyone was waiting to get inside because the doors were locked. 9:58 rolls around, so I decide to go and see if the door is open and it was. doh! I enter a "waiting area" and stood there waiting with the crowd. After a couple of minutes, I noticed some people were wearing bracelets and I asked one guy, where'd you get the bracelet from? He told me that you had to go all the way down the hall and pay for admission fee and then you'll get the bracelet. Well, that was great to know! :boo: After all the wasted time, I headed into the venue and then it was sort of empty and small. The crowd didn't start coming in until around 11:30-12:00. And just in case anyone was wondering, YES, there was a few "fanboys" would needed some Old Spice or Right Guard. doh! As much as I like to see a good size crowd, it also helps if you can do some personal hygiene before attending. As promised, pictures of the event.

The crowd:

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Artist Alley:

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

Herb Trimpe

HerbTrimpe.jpg

JG Jones

JGJones.jpg

Frank Cho

DSC_0211.jpg

Jo Chen

JoChen.jpg

Steve Conley

SteveConley.jpg

Here's my pros and cons of the event:

Pros:

- Crowd was pretty decent size given the size of the venue

- The presence of some artists attending the show (Frank Cho, Herb Trimpe, Jo Chen, JG Jones, John Snyder and Steve Conley)

- Plenty of other artist / tables right outside of venue

- Not that long of a line to get signatures done from artist(s)

- Promotion of event was above average

- Met some board members there (Chris - Chrisco and Mark - EsquireComics) which was cool. (thumbs u

Cons:

- Directions to event was below average. If you don't know the campus well, then you would get lost. I think I may have only seen one sign that said there was a comic con event going on.

- Parking: Plenty of parking, but you had to walk a good 10 minutes to the building (assuming you didn't get lost and ask people where the building was like me :pullhair: )

- It's not quite as big as the Baltimore Comic Con, venue was pretty small and got crammy at times.

- They could have used a little more help giving instructions to people on what to do (Hey, come purchase tickets down here! :gossip:) . Otherwise, you'd stand there like a fly on the wall like me. :busy:

Overall Grade of Con: C+

I think Marc Nathan did a pretty good job promoting this event. (thumbs u The turnout was great. It was good to see people of all ages attending this event.

Personal note:

John Snyder is a really cool guy, who took the time to do a couple of sketches for me and my nephew (which is his first ever comic con event) John did a partial Tec' 31 sketch for him (wish I took a pic of it.. looks sweet) and he did a Dr. Doom sketch for me. My apologies to John for not posting his picture. doh! I thought I had took a picture of him, but I didn't. Oops!

Dr. Doom Sketch:

JohnSnyderSketch.jpg

I asked Brett why weren't there any signs leading to the Student Union Building. He told me that George Mason University wouldn't let the DC Comic-con put up directional signs, fortunately there were plenty of students on campus who were helpful.

Does anyone else have pics of the event?

My camera bit the dust about an hour into the thing, and we are really looking for photos that give a good overall view of the packed crowds around mid-day.

Thanks kindly!

and yes...we worked VERY hard with GMU to get signage placed, but because it is a public school, the restrictions were crazy.

All we were allowed was 11 small signs pointing people to the parking lot.

The largest public parking lot on the campus was the one at the patriot center...which would have been an easy 5-10 minute walk to the event...if it wasn't 100 degrees outside! D'oh!

As the co-promoter, I walked with another vendor out to his van in the parking lot to get a Cho book he left out there signed. When we got back to the show 15 minutes later, I thought I was going to be sick to my stomache from the heat outside.

It was really something else!

My hat goes off to ALL of our volunteers...especially those five folks that stood outside for hours to direct people to the show in 100 degree heat. You guys rock!

Thanks to all of those people who made it out to the event.

I would like to call our first expiriment "cozy, but VERY satisfying".

The event was VERY well lit, the A/C was working very well in the large room, and many comic fans told me they greatly enjoyed the intimate feeling of the vendor's hall and the artist alley.

Who knows...we may even do it again some day ;-)

Thanks to all who made it out...and PLEASE post those pics! Thanks!

Regards,

Brett