• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is selling here a privilege?

55 posts in this topic

On other boards I have used, they have two things that could work here. They have Karma or thank you points that any member is able to give when good advice etc is given and trader ratings (similar to e-bays feedback scores) where you give positive or negative ratings depending on how a transaction goes. The former is usually shown as part of the members avatar and the trader points can be visible when you click into the members profile. Surely things like this could only help (shrug)

I honestly believe selling on here is a privliage but I don't agree thaqt anybody should be stopped from selling just because they've not posted much. However, It is difficult to know who to buy from especially when you're new. I've been here almost a year now and there are still well respected members I have not had the privalige to talk too and even though I, as well as others, would consider me trustworthy How many members on here would buy from me if I started to sell (shrug)

I don't like all the proposed restrictions to be honest. A newbie can make 100 posts in a weekend if he wanted so it wouldn't take long to build 1000. I've used Yahoo for years and its great to be honest. I think a newbie seller has to earn his respect over time but if you see red flags then ask questions and if your not satisfied then do business with someone else. (shrug)

Actually, anything done on these boards, including selling, is a privilege since this is a pivately run message board.

But to be specific about selling, it would be good to see folks offering contributions to the boards prior to posting a For Sale thread. We discuss this every so often but I am not sure if the board software will allow implementing a thread view based on number of posts, or if the Mods really have the time to implement it if such is possible. Sometimes on message board software you need to go to add-ins to get additional functionality, which takes some time and effort and sometimes experimenting.

I miss the star rating system here. :(

Just kidding, I don't miss it a bit. Though it was funny to see Cal battle for 5 star ratings on every one of his threads.

On other boards I have used, they have two things that could work here. They have Karma or thank you points that any member is able to give when good advice etc is given and trader ratings (similar to e-bays feedback scores) where you give positive or negative ratings depending on how a transaction goes. The former is usually shown as part of the members avatar and the trader points can be visible when you click into the members profile. Surely things like this could only help (shrug)

I honestly believe selling on here is a privliage but I don't agree thaqt anybody should be stopped from selling just because they've not posted much. However, It is difficult to know who to buy from especially when you're new. I've been here almost a year now and there are still well respected members I have not had the privalige to talk too and even though I, as well as others, would consider me trustworthy How many members on here would buy from me if I started to sell (shrug)

I would buy from you, Gary ;)

Just kidding, I don't miss it a bit. Though it was funny to see Cal battle for 5 star ratings on every one of his threads.

Sometimes I wonder if the loss of the Star Ratings system has made people more frustrated and prone to the torches and pitchforks due to a vent outlet being removed.

I'd love to see the star rating back. I would wear my one star with pride!

I would buy from you, Gary ;)

:foryou:

On my "every day carry" forums, you have to have 100 posts before you can even see the sale forums.

Post count is meaningless...

How many post of these have you seen?

:makepoint:

:banana:

(thumbs u

:hi:

(:

:acclaim:

I could have 10,000 post by tomorrow if I tried.

On my "every day carry" forums, you have to have 100 posts before you can even see the sale forums.

(thumbs u

(:

No, you can't

(thumbs u

(:

No, you can't

I'm not taking the bait! 24 hours of listing dancing bananas would kill me and boy would people get upset! Would be fun to try though.

Well to answer the direct question . Yes selling on the board is a privilege. However, I might add that anything you do on the board is a privilege. Otherwise there would be no rules and guidelines that you can get banned or suspended for breaking.

Well to answer the direct question . Yes selling on the board is a privilage. However, I might add that anything you do on the board is a privilage. Otherwise there would be no rules and guidelines that you can get banned or suspended for breaking.

USA BABY!!!! Freedom of Speech

We all buy from strangers all the time on ebay, from the auction houses, from internet dealers we've never met, etc.,. Back in the day before Al Gore invented the internet, we did the same thing through the CBG, through mail order dealers advertising through Overstreet, etc.,.

True, but those are venues where people pay to play.

One could make a strong argument that the free selling forums here should be reserved for those who contribute to the community.

I agree...and stating that opinion (along with the consequent firestorm from the newb in question) was, in part, why I got booted from the board I'd been a member of for nearly 7 years. (This has no relevance, I'm just sharing.)

(thumbs u

Sometimes I wonder if the loss of the Star Ratings system has made people more frustrated and prone to the torches and pitchforks due to a vent outlet being removed.

The star ratings were one of the reasons I don't post many new threads...

:insane:

We all buy from strangers all the time on ebay, from the auction houses, from internet dealers we've never met, etc.,. Back in the day before Al Gore invented the internet, we did the same thing through the CBG, through mail order dealers advertising through Overstreet, etc.,.

True, but those are venues where people pay to play.

One could make a strong argument that the free selling forums here should be reserved for those who contribute to the community.

I agree that selling on these boards is a privilege, however how does one define contributing???

I joined about 2 years ago, bought a ton of books, sold a ton of books and generally use this as a reference tool for my new found love of Golden Age books. I sometimes feel intimidated by the knowledge of some board members and would rather learn by reading as opposed to posting. I don't feel I contribute too much as I just started back in the hobby, but do value the knowledge and insight on these boards. Does this scenario entitle us to sell??? Hard one to answer... that's why a clear definition on contributing would be needed.

Great Point! And you took the words right out of my mouth. I like to read and learn, I don't know jack about comics or how to grade them and I've been collecting comics for 25 years. I doubt my post count will go any higher than a few hundred. I really don't have any plans for selling anything but if I do I hope my post count doesn't deter anyone either.

Elvis

The star ratings were one of the reasons I don't post many new threads...

:insane:

Lazybones! You use the extinct star rating to justify your slackness! Slacker! Get thee GONE! :hi: