• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Bashers

144 posts in this topic

I ma going to buy one to test the "better than" theory...

I only say it's better because it's more functional--you can swap multiple comics in without cracking the case--you don't need to buy one to test that assertion. Whether or not it looks better you can tell just based upon that picture of it on the site...it's quite simply a solid black frame with white matting, no different from a visual aesthetics perspective than any black frame for photographs you can buy at any department store.

I stand 100% on the pretty little cases that PGX provides...I am a stubburn old mule...and love the fact that I spend lil money to do so. I don't go to them to re-sale, its for me, and me only..My beat up old editions of unheard of comics, gain or loose nothing by slabbing them with CGC or PGX..I have said my peace.

Now if I owned a lot of really expensive books, I guess, I might think different..I know I stand alone...I don't care for the "legit" arguments... 2c

There's nothing wrong with that. Can't argue with personal preference.

So long as everyone knows the facts going in, no harm, no foul.

It's not people like you who are the problem...it's PGX themselves. Patterson represents himself as something he's not.

I am going to disagree with this, and realistically this is directed more at Chespirito than you, RMA.

Chespirito, you are, based upon my observations, a good guy. I enjoy your posts and interact with you a lot in the Signature Room. It appears that there is a lot you don't know about PGX.

The turning point for me was reading up about the Disney books that were purchased, trimmed and then wound up in PGX 9.9 slabs. Do yourself a favor and read up about the business practices of this business. Based upon what i have perceived of your personality on the boards, you would not approve of the types of behaviors. It will be a guaranteed eye-opener. I find it hard to believe that you would still want to support that type of business.

--Sean.

Sean,

I don't support fraud at any level but, are really saying that unreliable grading services can be misconstrued as fraudulent practices...I mean, I have yet to meet a person who uses them for re-sale... all PGX books on ebay are pretty much Modern, and are very affordable..IMO

That is exactly my point. It is not "unreliable grading services." There is proof of real fraud. And the trimmed Disney books are just the tip of the iceberg. There was also some amazing work done by the Board detectives involving certain Golden/Atomic age books that were "remainder" type books where coverless books were married to a NM cover that was discovered in warehouse-type bulk. These ended up in ultra high grade blue PGX label slabs.

hmhmhm

I don't support fraud at any level but, are really saying that unreliable grading services can be misconstrued as fraudulent practices...I mean, I have yet to meet a person who uses them for re-sale... all PGX books on ebay are pretty much Modern, and are very affordable..IMO

No.

This is not a "well, you just don't like PGX, so you have to make up stuff to harm them" situation.

Read this:

www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

PGX is clearly guilty of, at the very least, complicity to fraud, if not outright fraud itself.

When PGX showed up as CGG, people wanted them to succeed. Patterson's own incompetence and unethial behavior tanked any chance of that happening.

rantrant While we're talking about display of slabbed comics, I must point out how much I hate the PGX label from a graphic design perspective...it looks like a 9-year old designed it in WordPad and hadn't figured out the best uses of serifed type, bold type, and spacing yet. I do love the fact that it puts the date-of-grading on it though. Worst looking label around is PGX, second worst is the old CGC design, current best is the circa-2003 to present CGC label design.
So where do you place the old ACE label at in your categories..

I don't remember what they look like, although I did see a few when they were around.

Look, all you need to know is this:

PGX is one guy who has a slabbing machine in his garage.

is it his garage or his mothers basement?

I have heard it both ways

I'm going with "does it really matter which is correct?" :whistle:

on 4-21-10 you posted this in another thread

"Because PGX is a guy in his basement with a slab machine. "

not making trouble, just looking for clarity

a. his garage

b. his basement

c. his mothers basement

:jokealert:

OK..this got me thinking...

I want a Slab Machine!!!

I am going to make a new line of slabs, "The World Renown Chespirito Slabs", with Oak Trimming for aesthetics and the label will be lazer carved with all the pertinent information, I will also have the cheaper Pine trimming..

[font:Fixedsys]who's with me!!??!![/font]

rantrant While we're talking about display of slabbed comics, I must point out how much I hate the PGX label from a graphic design perspective...it looks like a 9-year old designed it in WordPad and hadn't figured out the best uses of serifed type, bold type, and spacing yet. I do love the fact that it puts the date-of-grading on it though. Worst looking label around is PGX, second worst is the old CGC design, current best is the circa-2003 to present CGC label design.

I have to agree that the CGC Label is top notch. Also due to CGC's reputation, CGC and PGX books of the same grade, the CGC book will sell 1) for a much higher price and 2) much faster.

I will say one positive think about the PGX case, I have never had a damaged PGX case. Of course that might relate to volume as I have 600+ CGC books and only 12 PGX books.

I cant say I have much interest in purchasing another PGX book.

All this discussion leaves me wishing that Fortresses were still being made...I think there is a real opportunity out there for someone who can make a resealable case that displays nicely for folks who want to use some comics as decor instead of investments. Given what people are paying for a single Fortress holder, there has to be some profit in there for someone with the right know-how...

hm

PGX is a small shop that can do sloppy work from time to time, some say intentionally. A real competitor to CGC will need some proper experts in grading and restoration - not only that, pure "me too" methods won't cut it. More transparency on grades (more notes on the label, points added/removed for good/poor PQ) and perhaps even a grade for eye appeal or production-related defects would be beneficial.

No.

This is not a "well, you just don't like PGX, so you have to make up stuff to harm them" situation.

Read this:

www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

PGX is clearly guilty of, at the very least, complicity to fraud, if not outright fraud itself.

When PGX showed up as CGG, people wanted them to succeed. Patterson's own incompetence and unethial behavior tanked any chance of that happening.

I should really start getting out of the SS threads a little more....This was pretty interesting..

a. his garage

b. his basement

c. his mothers basement

I want a Slab Machine!!!

I am going to make a new line of slabs, "The World Renown Chespirito Slabs", with Oak Trimming for aesthetics and the label will be lazer carved with all the pertinent information, I will also have the cheaper Pine trimming..

Will you be offering a carbonite option for your best customers? hm

a. his garage

b. his basement

c. his mothers basement

I want a Slab Machine!!!

OK..OK

Who's coming with me..

Who's coming with me...

All this discussion leaves me wishing that Fortresses were still being made...I think there is a real opportunity out there for someone who can make a resealable case that displays nicely for folks who want to use some comics as decor instead of investments. Given what people are paying for a single Fortress holder, there has to be some profit in there for someone with the right know-how...

hm

Something with a kick stand on the back, so you can display them on a desk!

I want a Slab Machine!!!

OK..OK

Who's coming with me..

Who's coming with me...

You'll have to work on your business model a bit first--both Oak and Pine aren't archival since they both release acids rather quickly that will degrade the comic. :gossip:

hm

Agreed! I use plate stands and brochure holders to display comics in CGC cases or even just mylars like that, also to place them in some of my display cases. There are a number of display accessories made for dinner plate display that work great for comics...

a. his garage

b. his basement

c. his mothers basement

Hey, mods, can we ban the search function please! lol

hm

Agreed! I use plate stands and brochure holders to display comics in CGC cases or even just mylars like that, also to place them in some of my display cases. There are a number of display accessories made for dinner plate display that work great for comics...

I hang my raw books from clothes pins on a wire next to flourescent lights so you can see them better. No need for slabbing, as my books are all graded old school "VG - NM".

hm

BRILLIANT!!!

Give the man a prize!

:whee:

I hang my raw books from clothes pins on a wire next to flourescent lights so you can see them better. No need for slabbing, as my books are all graded old school "VG - NM".

I used to avoid displaying books for fear that any type of display was exhibiting the type of carelessness you're kidding about here, but eventually I realized that display and preservation don't have to be mutually exclusive. Having said that--they MOSTLY are, as any area with high traffic you'd want to look at books in usually have poor preservation qualities. So I settled by just displaying cheaper versions of more expensive books, usually something lower in grade...it's hard enough to see any any artistic details on something as small as a comic from a distance, and small defects become almost invisible when you're looking up at something from halfway across a room.

Since then I've moved on to large-scale poster-sized blowups of comic cover scans--I like those far better than displaying actual comics, you can see them across a room a lot better. :cloud9: I'll likely take down all my displayed comics other than the ones in cases the next time I rearrange stuff.

PGX Testimonials...

Context.

You have none.

;)

Context is what you make it (thumbs u

The turning point for me was reading up about the Disney books that were purchased, trimmed and then wound up in PGX 9.9 slabs.

anyone have a link to this tale easily accessible? tia.