• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,494 posts in this topic

Got these for 40 dollars total yesterday at my local comic shop... 54 is prolly a 6.5 and 55 is prolly a 5.5... I didn't think I would ever get one with the craziness that just started last week..

05qo.jpg

THX to Adam/filter81! :cloud9: THX for working with me Adam! :headbang:

amazing_spider-man_1_cgc_9_0_oww_1059307001_zpsf35a3211.jpg

:applause:

Great book Tom

THX Tim...very happy to add it to my set! :headbang:

..... NICE color...... I'd have to find a mylar for that one...... I bet it feels fantastic in hand ..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks FTG!

Here're a few more items I was lucky to score at the SD con. Thx to Bob Storms, Richard Evans, and Dale Roberts.

asw115_zps07b16e04.jpg

oaaw42_zps10771b6b.jpg

This #73 was one of about 5 holes I needed to fill between OAAW 50 to 80. I know that doesn't sound like anything special, but I've been trying to get those for a long time. It's one of my favorite eras of Big-5 books--post-code and pre-Rock. Super-cool art between every cover. It's when DC war really started to cook!

oaaw73_zpsc4468cc0.jpg

Tales to Astonish #64 • February 1965 • November 1964 newsstand

TTA64FFeb65_zps2047cda2.jpg

I picked this up a little while ago from Number6 and just recently processed it for the collection. Matt bought the book from Bob Storms's HighGradeComics as an 8.5. It's a very good example of such.

Tales to Astonish #64 • February 1965 • November 1964 newsstand

TTA64FFeb65_zps2047cda2.jpg

I picked this up a little while ago from Number6 and just recently processed it for the collection. Matt bought the book from Bob Storms's HighGradeComics as an 8.5. It's a very good example of such.

looks 9.0 to me (based on FC only). Very nice.

Thanks. It's a nice early to mid Silver Age Marvel. :whee:

The cover is quite striking for the period. Very moody Goldberg colours over Kirby/Colletta. (The GCD credits Ayers as inker but it's Colletta. (thumbs u )

The Giant-Man and Wasp story is weak by the high Spider-man or FF standards but they usually were a lesser vehicle. Lee was never too focused on the developing Giant-Man/Wasp or the solo Human Torch. However, the Ditko Hulk is a well told story. Storytelling was Ditko's gift and even though Roussos's inks meant that the delicate embellishments of Ditko's own inks are missing -- it's fine work.

I also thought about 9.0 when I received it. There are a couple of hairline stresses in the lower right hand corner of the front cover, the larger stress mark at the top staple, tiny colour wear top and bottom spine and some gentle roughness to the top of the back cover -- a bit like you see in the front cover overhang.

I wouldn't be unhappy had someone sold it to me as a 9.0 but the very very light corner stresses make me more comfortable with the book as a good 8.5. (I have read posters remarking upon the increased strictness of current CGC grading but my observations -- I deslab my books and examine scans before and after -- have me conclude personally that there is a general relaxation of standards over the past two years. :sumo: )

The magic spot for me is between 8.0 and 9.0. If tightly graded and displaying a number of small defects rather than one or two larger problems, these books are beautiful examples of their kind that can be carefully read with enjoyment. :grin:

Thanks. It's a nice early to mid Silver Age Marvel. :whee:

The cover is quite striking for the period. Very moody Goldberg colours over Kirby/Colletta. (The GCD credits Ayers as inker but it's Colletta. (thumbs u )

The Giant-Man and Wasp story is weak by the high Spider-man or FF standards but they usually were a lesser vehicle. Lee was never too focused on the developing Giant-Man/Wasp or the solo Human Torch. However, the Ditko Hulk is a well told story. Storytelling was Ditko's gift and even though Roussos's inks meant that the delicate embellishments of Ditko's own inks are missing -- it's fine work.

I also thought about 9.0 when I received it. There are a couple of hairline stresses in the lower right hand corner of the front cover, the larger stress mark at the top staple, tiny colour wear top and bottom spine and some gentle roughness to the top of the back cover -- a bit like you see in the front cover overhang.

I wouldn't be unhappy had someone sold it to me as a 9.0 but the very very light corner stresses make me more comfortable with the book as a good 8.5. (I have read posters remarking upon the increased strictness of current CGC grading but my observations -- I deslab my books and examine scans before and after -- have me conclude personally that there is a general relaxation of standards over the past two years. :sumo: )

The magic spot for me is between 8.0 and 9.0. If tightly graded and displaying a number of small defects rather than one or two larger problems, these books are beautiful examples of their kind that can be carefully read with enjoyment. :grin:

I missed the bottom corner crease.

Your depth of knowledge far surpasses mine in terms of artists, likely in other areas too, and I can see you really love your books. Always great to hear informed statements about the hobby.