• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing?

79 posts in this topic

@MastrCntrlProgram -

I don't know if I'd call $50 after shipping both ways, and six weeks wait time, affordable in some cases, but I definitely agree that it's a better idea than having at it yourself.

There are others out there that do it much cheaper AND Faster. :gossip:

In before the lock and digression

It's not going to get locked unless one of us reveals the right way to press.

While that you tube video is a real hoot, it is by now means the right way to press. Not even close.

First off 195 F is way to hot and even at that temp most defects wont pressout anyways. Pressing is about a delicate balance between humidity, pressure, the right substrate and the right temp. If any one of those is not right the results will be atleast inconsistant and might even damage the book. Some information has to be carefully givin out or every tom,dirk and harry will be pressing books, not disclosing the pressing and possible doing irreversable damage to the books and the hobby. That is probably why CGC will lock a thread if it reveals too much.

As far as knowing the right press to use just about any dry mount press that locks into place will work since it isn't so much about the press as it is knowing the right way to do it.

Also want to add there is no reason for the do it yourselfer when there are plenty of professional presser's that are very affordable. ;)

(1) CGC don't lock pressing threads because too much information is given out. doh!

(2) Every Tom, & Harry are pressing their own books. doh!

While that you tube video is a real hoot, it is by now means the right way to press. Not even close.

First off 195 F is way to hot and even at that temp most defects wont pressout anyways. Pressing is about a delicate balance between humidity, pressure, the right substrate and the right temp. If any one of those is not right the results will be atleast inconsistant and might even damage the book. Some information has to be carefully givin out or every tom,dirk and harry will be pressing books, not disclosing the pressing and possible doing irreversable damage to the books and the hobby. That is probably why CGC will lock a thread if it reveals too much.

As far as knowing the right press to use just about any dry mount press that locks into place will work since it isn't so much about the press as it is knowing the right way to do it.

Also want to add there is no reason for the do it yourselfer when there are plenty of professional presser's that are very affordable. ;)

(1) CGC don't lock pressing threads because too much information is given out. doh!

Nick:

FFB used to detail how pressing was done, albeit still limited in specifics. I'm still convinced that's why that thread was closed.

Nick:

FFB used to detail how pressing was done, albeit still limited in specifics. I'm still convinced that's why that thread was closed.

Why would CGC care though? People press to leech as much money as possible out of their books for resale and most likely to resubmit a book that was raw or cracked after it was pressed to get that label thus making money for CGC.

How long will pressed books stay pressed?

example I heard books that get pressed after 5 to 7 years ago start to become unpressed and then need to be pressed again?

Any info on this? I did do a search and couldn`t come up with anything. hm

I never heard that. Maybe you are mixing that up with how CGC books need to be re-encapsulated every 5-7 years?

example I heard books that get pressed after 5 to 7 years ago start to become unpressed and then need to be pressed again?

Well-pressed books are that way permanently. Poorly-pressed ones can revert.

Why would CGC care though? People press to leech as much money as possible out of their books for resale and most likely to resubmit a book that was raw or cracked after it was pressed to get that label thus making money for CGC.

Yes, the epic thread here which went into great depth as to how to press was deleted by CGC. As to why they care, it's because their customers do. It's one thing for CGC to not define pressing as restoration in part because they can't detect it, but it's another for them to host a message board which contains detailed information telling people exactly how to press. People who get ticked about pressing in general could tend to blame CGC for hosting information spreading the practice. Most likely someone called them and complained about it.

You can't reasonably blame CGC for not being able to detect pressing...unfortunately, not all of their customers are reasonable. :blush: I'm sure they're just trying to distance themselves from the topic as much as they can.

Yes, the epic thread here which went into great depth as to how to press was deleted by CGC. As to why they care, it's because their customers do. It's one thing for CGC to not define pressing as restoration in part because they can't detect it, but it's another for them to host a message board which contains detailed information telling people exactly how to press. People who get ticked about pressing in general could tend to blame CGC for hosting information spreading the practice. Most likely someone called them and complained about it.

You can't reasonably blame CGC for not being able to detect pressing...unfortunately, not all of their customers are reasonable. :blush: I'm sure they're just trying to distance themselves from the topic as much as they can.

I believe that after witnessing thread after thread deleted.

Some of the things that happen when pressing debates happen boggle my mind.

I've heard this also and I think the timeframe is a lot sooner. To me it's all about what is trying to be accomplished. A light fold or crease should press out and stay pressed out, however, trying to get every little tick out of the spine will not stay permanent. There is a natural resistance of the spine to stay flat. It also depends on how tight the inner well is. If there's room for the spine to revert, it will.

Well-pressed books are that way permanently. Poorly-pressed ones can revert.

thanks for clarifying, wow you helped me out a lot today. (thumbs u

I just assumed that some of CGC's bigger clients, that make a living pressing books, probably didn't appreciate trade secrets being spread to the masses (shrug)

I just assumed that some of CGC's bigger clients, that make a living pressing books, probably didn't appreciate trade secrets being spread to the masses (shrug)

^^ Tha sponsors do not approve.

So the fact that pressing threads always devolve into shouting matches & off-topic mud-slinging has nothing to do with them being deleted?

So the fact that pressing threads always devolve into shouting matches & off-topic mud-slinging has nothing to do with them being deleted?

The ones we're talking about, no. The informative threads that I saw deleted contained zero drama. This place seems to avoid the vast majority of the melodrama the General forum gets. :cloud9: