• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

137 posts in this topic

Screenshot_1-2.jpg

http://www.treasurehuntersroadshow.com/

I saw a 1/2 page color ad in my local newspaper this week advertising that the Treasure Hunters Roadshow was buying, amongst other things, Comic Books. Out of curiosity, with really no interest to sell anything to them, I compiled about a dozen comic books that I feel have a market value of $7500 - 8000 and went to their hotel meeting room. With a cursory glance of my lot of comics, I was told with a straight face by a rep with the breathe of stale tobacco that the retail value of my collection was $25 per. The implications of which was that they would be offering something far less. As another rep came over to look over my shoulder, they had a difficult time keeping a straight face as the one with bad breathe asked me if I would like to wait my turn (approx. 1.5 hours) to sell the collection. I said, 'Oh yeah, I do!'. As I immediately left the building I couldn't restrain myself and indiscreetly told the pretty little front desk attendant that I couldn't believe that they would allow such money robbing thieves on their property!

The collection that they saw was:

Detective Comics #9, 11, 12

Action Comics #18, 22

Flash Comics #22

More Fun Comics #38

ASM #9, 11, 14

I saw an ad in my local paper for these guys and concluded they were complete tools. Think I'll stop by the one here for fun and take them some books to see what they offer.

I think they're hoping people somehow confuse them with Antiques Roadshow, in that they are experts that will tell you the market value of goods shown.

This story rules.

You didn't ask them how much they offer for gold, did you?

I'm always curious to hear what these people offer. With gold around $1240/oz, I imagine some of these people offer as little as half that (when ANY coin dealer will pay roughly spot -3-5% or so.)

And most folks can't do math, so they can't figure it out for 10k, 14k, and 18k.

lol

What would be great would be to somehow film them giving an appraisal of comics, maybe even CGC graded comics, and let them really dig a hole for themselves and then post it online.

What were the books?

Not doubting your story one minute, trying to figure out what percentage of true retail they're paying.

I would love to hear that too, just so we can do that real math.

Judging by his description of 12 books, worth $8000 retail, and the guy telling him that they were worth $300 total and probably offering him a max of $150 that is an offer of 1.9% of value.

In graphic terms they are offering the equivalent of: banangetsit2.gif

Or more clearly they will give you this:

Chevron%20Beads.jpg

in exchange for this:

fig202.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I removed the raw DC#9, 11, 12 from the CGC holders, amongst others, and walked in to their lair with books in mylar w\backing. I also had ASM#9 , 11 , 14 in VG that they turned their noises up at and told some non-sequestered story about how they bought a stack of Richie Rich comics for .15 per.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I removed the raw DC#9, 11, 12 from the CGC holders, amongst others, and walked in to their lair with books in mylar w\backing. I also had ASM#9 , 11 , 14 in VG that they turned their noises up at and told some non-sequestered story about how they bought a stack of Richie Rich comics for .15 per.

:o

$25/each?

Did you ask them what they were worth or did you ask what they would give you?

If you asked what they were worth then they are wrong.

If you asked what they would give you then that is something different!

All I had to do was sit and wait 1.5 hours for my turn to get some FAST cash.

The man with bad breathe was such a nice man. Such an honest face too.

I'll offer you FOUR TIMES what they offered...

Send me your Paypal.... ;)

They claim to have a data base of buyers that dictate the market value. When I requested to be added to the data base, I was told that those in the exclusive data base spend $150,000+ per WEEK!

:screwy::screwy: These guys are fracking nutso :screwy::screwy:

Did you ask them what they were worth or did you ask what they would give you?

If you asked what they were worth then they are wrong.

If you asked what they would give you then that is something different!

Answers to questions such as these would have required I set in line for 1.5 - 2 hours. Behind the lady with an autograph Bobby Knight Basketball (I live in Indiana (worship) )

They claim to have a data base of buyers that dictate the market value. When I requested to be added to the data base, I was told that those in the exclusive data base spend $150,000+ per WEEK!

I guess if you are going to be a liar you might as well be the biggest liar in the world.

Don't do anything half way.