• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some questions about Deadworld series.

46 posts in this topic

That's the issue! There are two covers - tame and a "Not For Wussies" edition, which was done for a few issues.

There was another thread somewhere where the question was posed as to what the first variant cover was (not test price or logo variants that were used for marketing info, but multiple covers). Seems some of these come before LOTDK. Is this the answer to the question?

That's the issue! There are two covers - tame and a "Not For Wussies" edition, which was done for a few issues.

There was another thread somewhere where the question was posed as to what the first variant cover was (not test price or logo variants that were used for marketing info, but multiple covers). Seems some of these come before LOTDK. Is this the answer to the question?

Man of Steel 1 was in 1986. That is for sure before LOTDK.

True, but wasn't one a newsstand and the other a direct edition? I think the Spider-man Annual with the wedding falls into that same category.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it would've been post Man of Steel, since it was when they were relaunching all their big titles -- Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, JL.

That was a fun time to be a DC fan.

The Adventurers (Book 1) #1, 8/1986

Man of Steel Vol 1 #1, 10/1986

Fury of Firestorm (Vol. 2) #61 Logo Variant, 7/1987

Justice League #3 Superman Comics Logo Variant, 7/1987

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1, 11/1989

True, but wasn't one a newsstand and the other a direct edition? I think the Spider-man Annual with the wedding falls into that same category.

The MOS #1 came in both versions to the Direct market.

The full figure cover was the one newsstands got, but comic shops got both.

However...the first true variant (though not initially intended as such) was TMNT #3.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it would've been post Man of Steel, since it was when they were relaunching all their big titles -- Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, JL.

That was a fun time to be a DC fan.

It was at that time that I started reading more DC comics than Marvel. So many great DC titles in the mid to late 80s

Not that it has anything to do with the original thread, but...

I really think that two people changed the way that DC did their stuff in the mid-to-late 80s that changed them for the better.

Mike Carlin was the group editor on Superman and he brought over a lot of really great creators from Marvel -- Byrne, Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway, and J.M. DeMatties (among others). He made Superman relevant, even after Byrne left.

Karen Berger made comics more adult without the obvious violence. Punisher was the "adult" book for Marvel at the time. Swamp Thing was the adult book for DC. See the difference? She then brought in Gaiman (Black Orchid), Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol), and others and let them play.

Neither Carlin or Berger were creators, per se. But they started to let their creators do what they wanted.

Not that it has anything to do with the original thread, but...

I really think that two people changed the way that DC did their stuff in the mid-to-late 80s that changed them for the better.

Mike Carlin was the group editor on Superman and he brought over a lot of really great creators from Marvel -- Byrne, Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway, and J.M. DeMatties (among others). He made Superman relevant, even after Byrne left.

Karen Berger made comics more adult without the obvious violence. Punisher was the "adult" book for Marvel at the time. Swamp Thing was the adult book for DC. See the difference? She then brought in Gaiman (Black Orchid), Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol), and others and let them play.

Neither Carlin or Berger were creators, per se. But they started to let their creators do what they wanted.

Slight correction:

Carlin did not bring Byrne over to Superman. Carlin was still Byrne's editor on the FF when Byrne signed on to revamp Superman.

Slight correction:

Carlin did not bring Byrne over to Superman. Carlin was still Byrne's editor on the FF when Byrne signed on to revamp Superman.

You're right.

It looks like Carlin didn't arrive until issue #3 of Superman.

But I think he was able to right the ship after Byrne left. That title could've fallen apart when he abandoned it just two years into his tenure. Instead, it became a better title than when Byrne was doing it.

Slight correction:

You're right.

It looks like Carlin didn't arrive until issue #3 of Superman.

But I think he was able to right the ship after Byrne left. That title could've fallen apart when he abandoned it just two years into his tenure. Instead, it became a better title than when Byrne was doing it.

Impossible :baiting:

Was the Firestorm and JL issues in '86 as well?

Should logo variants even count? If so, in 1970s, many of Marvel and DC comics came with "Whitman variants".

Was the Firestorm and JL issues in '86 as well?

Should logo variants even count? If so, in 1970s, many of Marvel and DC comics came with "Whitman variants".

These were not just logo variants. They have totally different cover art.

As far as what should be considered a cover variant, even though there may or may not be a straight answer, it may also depend on the focus of the collector. Especially when it comes to what they perceive as a 'variant' cover.

Some feel the price variants qualify for this category. It's not my focus. But it is for others.

I agree -- logo or UPC or price variants are certainly collectable and can be considered variants -- but they're not (to me) particularly exciting in and of itself.

UPC/price variants are like collecting coins... Everything is the same except for this one slight detail (a 30 vs 35 cents, or a D vs an S coin). I see why some people who like this stuff, but it's not my bag.