• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a couple of questions about the buying in the sales forum

94 posts in this topic

There was a dude wearing a shirt at Motor City that had "G-MAN" printed on the back. One person asked me if that was g-man from boards and I said, "No, I haven't seen him low ball anyone yet."

:roflmao:

I can't decide whether it's ballsy, rude, or just stupid to excessively lowball via these forums. You can easily and anonymously lowball on the consignment sites, but here, your lowballs can tarnish your ability to buy and sell from at minimum that person, and if you vigilantes start to out them, the entire board, which is why I'd never dream of doing it. I suppose I lean towards it being stupid. :screwy:

Lowball offers dont bother me. Lowball offers coupled with a screed asking how much crack I did before I came up with the price and how I have no idea what I'm doing - all the while scratching and clawing and trying anything to get the damn book - those bother me.

One of the reason why I stopped selling here ...

No more FT sales? :sorry:

I liked liberating books from the Other Side of the Pond. ;)

There are other ways of buying from me. :whistle:

Indeed .. where have I been lately? PM INCOMING!! :applause:

I bought from Nick a few times. I dont think I lowballed him either. Actually I KNOW I didnt. That being said I liked Nicks sales threads, and wish he hadnt stopped because I respect him as a seller and person. I could also do without a majority of people who are currently selling here. There are many who just DONT know the current market, and do not understand why people dont buy from them.

And I was actually considering doing another sales thread, but people here only want free books, heavy discounts, or just Uber HG. I have boxes and boxes of books that I may as well burn over listing here. I also have boxes of stuff I just wont list here as I dnt feel like dealing with insulting offers. The only times I will list anything is when I know it is hot, and will be gone within minutes. Otherwise I have been more successful filling up want lists from past customers who always get great deals from me.

Lowball offers do not offend me if the potential buyer explains his reasoning behind said offer. I'm not trying to set any new GPA records, so 90% of the time I accept a reasonable offer.

I guess a Lowball offer is better than NO offers, which is how things have been going this week.

There's a difference between a lowball for an indiviudal inexpensive item and a lowball for a big group of items. I feel a little less cruddy asking for a large discount off a big group of items collectively vs. wanting 50% off a $10 item. Buying a big group of items all at once saves the seller a lot of effort.

There is so much going on in the marketplace right now that it's nauseating. We have sellers complaining about lowballing while other sellers are listing books aggressively priced books with "BIN's" in hopes of receiving "offers".

So which one is it? meh

I don't have a problem with lowball offers, and don't really see many of them due to the fact that I mostly sell at a deep discount anyway. What does bug me, however, is when someone makes an offer thirty minutes after I've listed the book. C'mon man, give it a day before trying to save some money (unless you're making an offer on a bunch of stuff at once). I don't take offers personally though, I either say yes or no and move on.

I sometimes make offers, but I always wait at least 24 hours from the time the item is listed for it to sell at the asking price. If it's still there, then I'll make a reasonable offer on the item. The kind of offer I ask for really depends on the item and it's pricepoint. There is not really a certain percentage that I go for (or accept).

The one exception to this is if I'm wanting to buy (or sell) a number of items in a sales thread, then asking for a quantity discount is perfectly acceptable, IMO. You won't always get one, but no harm in asking.

There is so much going on in the marketplace right now that it's nauseating. We have sellers complaining about lowballing while other sellers are listing books aggressively priced books with "BIN's" in hopes of receiving "offers".

So which one is it? meh

I'll answer this one Count. For the most part, I try to price my books at or below GPA in the hopes of a Buy it now or a reasonable offer. I never expect someone to buy it at the asking price, but you have to start somewhere, right.

At or just below GPA seems like a good place to start for MOST books. Also, I see no point in offering 10%, 15% or 20% discount in the sale when I already state that I will listen to all Offers.

This is also how I operate on ebay and it works well there.

So which one is it? meh

I'll answer this one Count. For the most part, I try to price my books at or below GPA in the hopes of a Buy it now or a reasonable offer. I never expect someone to buy it at the asking price, but you have to start somewhere, right.

At or just below GPA seems like a good place to start for MOST books. Also, I see no point in offering 10%, 15% or 20% discount in the sale when I already state that I will listen to all Offers.

This is also how I operate on ebay and it works well there.

And that's fine you are not aggressively pricing your books but some sellers here have admittedly priced their books at 100-200% over GPA in hopes to get offers while others balk at lowballs. :shrug:

I know that when I personally see books priced too aggressively I don't even bother with offers or even revisiting that thread. I can easily find over priced books on ebay or metropolis... lol

I don't mind any kind of offers, I can always say no. I think the real lowballer flippers, stopped asking me :shrug:, I usually just toss stuff up here I KNOW I'm going to toss on Ebay, in case someone here needs the book, because I'd rather have a collector from here, but if I get an offer, I might accept it.

As for lowballing, I really don't like making offers, I will occassionally, but I usually will just ask if that's the person's best price, especially if I know them. I know that sometimes people build that into their original price. I actually do fine that way, and I very often take the books.

That way if they are set on a price, I don't insult them. I like shopping more than I like owning, lol. I don't want to be on anyone's blocked list;)

Would this be the place to recount the tale of a boardie replying to one of my WTB lists offering me a book $800 above the last GPA sale?

When I politely refused the response was "Its at guide $1650 plus $50 to grade- what more do u want?"

To which I replied "You may want to check GPA."

I was told to "forget GPA"

:whistle:

Plenty of sellers on here have done me deals if I have bought a lot from them or if I'm a repeat buyer but I very rarely asks for discounts.

Would this be the place to recount the tale of a boardie replying to one of my WTB lists offering me a book $800 above the last GPA sale?

When I politely refused the response was "Its at guide $1650 plus $50 to grade- what more do u want?"

To which I replied "You may want to check GPA."

I was told to "forget GPA"

:whistle:

Plenty of sellers on here have done me deals if I have bought a lot from them or if I'm a repeat buyer but I very rarely asks for discounts.

Can I also assume that, when the figures work in his favour, GPA figures will be quoted? :/

So which one is it? meh

Two different issues. This is the thread for those who don't ask for 2 x GPA.

We can start another one for the gougers? (shrug)

I don't have a problem with lowball offers, and don't really see many of them due to the fact that I mostly sell at a deep discount anyway. What does bug me, however, is when someone makes an offer thirty minutes after I've listed the book.

Oh, yeah, that's a personal favourite of mine. The book's been up for three minutes, it's had two views, and already somebody has PMed you with 'what's the lowest you'll take'? doh!