• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Shooter returns to Magnus/Turok/Solar :gossip:

21 posts in this topic

Am I looking forward to it?

Yes. Very excited. Valiants were the holy grail for me back in the day, and I've got near-complete sets of both the Valiant and Acclaim series.

Can Shooter pull it off?

No. Because 1) as they said--it was lightning in a bottle. Beyond Wizard's propaganda, Valiant was popular because it was the yin to Image's yang.

2) the hard-core fans over at the Valiant board won't be satisfied with the new version and/or support them by buying them off the shelf because a lot of them are nostalgia-driven speculators (and I'm not immune--have posted over there since 2004 as "Rai-fan").

3) It didn't work ten years ago. Unity 2000 was a great idea, with Jim Shooter writing (beginning in Shadowman, vol. 3, # 5) and Jim Starlin drawing. Still, sales were so bad they didn't even finish the miniseries. If any of these titles makes it past issue 25, I'd be surprised.

What pre-unity Valiant was hardest for me to obtain?

Toss-up between Rai 4 and Solar 9. In my area (Philly) there were about 3-4 copies of the (supposedly rarer) Rai 3 for every copy of Rai 4. Likewise, Rai 5 was harder to obtain than Rai 3, although it was the second valiant I bought after Unity 0. For variants, I've still never owned either of the Unity trades, X-O 1/2 gold, or Chaos Effect Alpha Red.