• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THOR #133 - I NEED A LOT OF OPINIONS ON THIS ONE PLEASE!!

22 posts in this topic

I think there is an upper bound on the grade CGC will currently assign with tan pages. I don't think this book is worth slabbing.

I know it's harsh but for the purpose of selling I don't see how it could be any higher than a 6.0 as this book would be a tough sell.

I'm throwing 8.0 maybe a 8.5. I have never sent any tanned covers in yet. I have a few in this same catagory that are in the waiting stack.

Overstreet says: Lowest paper quality accepted by grade:

Up to 9.9 White

Up to 9.8 Off White

Up to 9.4 Cream

Up to 8.5 Tan

Up to 6.5 Paper Bag Brown

It's hard to tell in your scan, that bottom corner almost looks brown. If it's tan, for sure this is an 8.5. If it really is Paper Bag Brown, your stuck at 6.5 ( but a nice 6.5 ).

60's and early 70's Marvels tan up so easy.

I have a Shock Suspenstories 5 in CGC 8.0 that has a BC almost as tan as this, and has ALOT more flaws than this book, IMHO.

Not sure on the grade knock for the tanning, but I think this book is an 8.5 or possibly higher.

Well, there you have it

Overstreet says: Lowest paper quality accepted by grade:

Up to 9.9 White

Up to 9.8 Off White

Up to 9.4 Cream

Up to 8.5 Tan

Up to 6.5 Paper Bag Brown

It's hard to tell in your scan, that bottom corner almost looks brown. If it's tan, for sure this is an 8.5. If it really is Paper Bag Brown, your stuck at 6.5 ( but a nice 6.5 ).

60's and early 70's Marvels tan up so easy.

One more thing I forgot, paper must be supple regardless of color. Also I think these guidelines only work for Bronze and older books. If you had a 90's book and cooked it so it had tan pages I don't think you could get a VF grade on it.

I bought this from an Ebay seller as NM- 9.2! This was his description:

THOR 133, NM 9.2 STUNNER! $120 GUIDE!

Light age color is ALL between this book and 9.8 or 10!

I just wondered what other opinions were as I didn't think this qualified

as a NM- 9.2.

The tanning is pretty severe, so I'd probably top out at 6.5...maybe 7.0...it's a 9.0/9.2 otherwise...

GPA value on a 9.0 (even though there are only 22 graded) is only about $70-75 bucks...8.5 $40-45 bucks...8.0 $40 bucks and 7.0 $30 bucks...so as bomber-bob previously mentioned, certainly not worth slabbing... 2c

I bought this from an Ebay seller as NM- 9.2! This was his description:

THOR 133, NM 9.2 STUNNER! $120 GUIDE!

Light age color is ALL between this book and 9.8 or 10!

I just wondered what other opinions were as I didn't think this qualified

as a NM- 9.2.

GPA for 9.2 slabbed is approximately $100 bucks