• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rose City Comic Con - Sept. 11 and 12

13 posts in this topic

Portland, Oregon is having something that actually resembles a modern comic convention :o

LINK

Though I don;t know how a $10 day pass or $550 for a table is going to fly. Tables are $350 with preregistration before June.

Not sure about them sponsoring it, but here are the names of the two people involved with it:

Company Information:

Lora Heil-Frone

Convention and Meeting Planners of Oregon

and

Steve Dexheimer is the Creative Director of the Comicon, and a life-long lover of comics and film. He is currently spending his retirement fund on comics. He'll be the guy at the show with the perpetual grin on his face.

I don't know either of them and hope they are able to put on a great show. A few others have been nibbling at the bit to take over Portland, Oregon for a while and these people were pretty smart putting this show on in September a few months before the usual Portland comic show.

Frankly, Portland needs some serious new blood and hopefully this show will be well done and successful.

EDIT: Second Genesis is owned by a guy named Richard and he runs the regular Portland show that has been going on for years. I've heard a number of attendees and dealers gripe about the usual Portland show. Again, not sure how the cost of dealer tables and admission is going to go over, but we'll see in four months.

Sounds a little bit like C2E2 downtown Chicago con vs suburban Wizard Chicago Rosemont con. At least the Oregon Convention Center will not have the loading zone debacle for dealers doh! and a fair # of downtown hotels, restaurants, franchises, shopping.

Sounds a little bit like C2E2 downtown Chicago con vs suburban Wizard Chicago Rosemont con. At least the Oregon Convention Center will not have the loading zone debacle for dealers doh! and a fair # of downtown hotels, restaurants, franchises, shopping.

It really seems like the guy running the Portland Comic Book Show is dead set on always having it at the Memorial Coliseum, which has caused him to cancel shows. It will be interesting to see what how the November show goes after the Rose City con.

It will be nice to be at the convention center for a change. hopefully this show does well and Portland catches up with the rest of the comic con scene.

Comicon promoters see how well the 2 day Emerald City Seattle, WA comicon has grown in the last 5 years and will be expanded into a 3 day con for 2011. Promoters smell $$ in Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC, so each city is trying a 2 day comic extravaganza :golfclap: or comic/anime convention in 2010.

Hopefully both shows are successful. :wishluck: I only worry about comic con overload with the Portland show happening twice a year, a new Portland con, and whether Terry O. will continue his one day show in Portland.

:gossip: I also become very concerned when that dolt greggy rolls into Oregon. How he keeps getting past the border is a mystery.

Your forgot to mention the expansion of the Creation Entertainment cons in the Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR areas. Star Trek, Supernatural tv, Twilight cons in your city soon:

http://www.creationent.com/cal/twilight_or.htm

Think they used to run X-files and Xena cons when those series were hot.

Vancouver is Krazy as we have about 16 comicons per year plus weekly fleamarkets, monthly antique shows, bi-monthly sportscard cons. :gossip:

greggy has fed gov't i.d. so can cross any border with ninja-ease. :devil:

Something about not having enough time or something similar...a bit weird. Also, I'm not sure how charging $500 for a table, $350 if prepaid by deadline, is going to go over in Portland. They will need some amazing guests for a big draw.