• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Keep those McDonalds Shrek Glass

23 posts in this topic

were they made in china? hm

Without having seen these, I can't say for certain. But cadmium along with lead have been banned in the U.S. and currently sneak through undetected when they're checking all toys coming from China. This is clearly a case of blind trust in McDonald's own handling of consumer product safety, and that gap needs to be closed by regulators, and enforced for everyone equally, whether that's MacDonalds the corner convenience store, or McDonald's the fast food chain that uses toys to lure consumers to buy their junk food.

The manufacturer of the products is ARC International, based in Millville, N.J., USA

They're still responsible (McDonalds and ARC) even if it comes down to being a supply-chain issue. Their reaction is no different from big box retailers "stunned" when its brought to their attention their uncertified wood products originate from suppliers who engage in illegal logging practices. Sadly, it seems this is the kind of mindset that would rather say sorry when they're caught than ask why is the wood (or paint) so cheap in the first place.

The manufacturer of the products is ARC International, based in Millville, N.J., USA

The head office is based in France, not NJ.

Not attempting to stir up anti-Franco sentiment, just trying to keep facts straight.

"Arc International employs 12, 200 people worldwide including 8000 in France. The group, whose head office is located in Arques, in the French Pas-de-Calais region, achieved a turnover of 1 billion Euros in 2009. Armed with its know how in glassware, it developed globally and diversified its activities through the integration of materials other than glass. Today, it markets a full range of tableware products in more than 160 countries.

The Group covers the Consumer Goods and Food Service markets through a portfolio of brands, Luminarc®, Arcoroc®, Cristal d'Arques® Paris, Pyrex®** and Chef & Sommelier. For more than 40 years the Group has also been addressing professional customers – industrialists, traders, manufacturers of semi-finished and finished products, and service providers – by offering them tailored-made solutions to meet their specific requirements (for industry, advertising, premiums and customer loyalty programmes).

Arc International is present in five continents with production sites (France, USA, China, UAE), distribution subsidiaries (France, US, Spain, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan) and sales offices.."

Another reason not to eat at McDonalds. :roflmao:

And I'm sure a free Big Mac coupon will be given out for unsatisfied customers returning glasses. Lead poisoning and a heart attack. Nice.

Ba da da dum dum, we'll poison you one way or the other.

Are my Jurassic Park collectors cups Ive been hoarding worth anything yet? :whee: I also have a semi full of Plankton watches from Burger King.

DRX

10's of 1000's of these glasses have been sold. I highly doubt they will be worth anything.

The worst part is that 10 years from now people will forget that these things have cadmium and will use them anyway.

Although, they did say that no one has been harmed by using these glasses (and I doubt anyone will be).

The head office is based in France, not NJ.

Not attempting to stir up anti-Franco sentiment, just trying to keep facts straight.

"Arc International employs 12, 200 people worldwide including 8000 in France. The group, whose head office is located in Arques, in the French Pas-de-Calais region, achieved a turnover of 1 billion Euros in 2009. Armed with its know how in glassware, it developed globally and diversified its activities through the integration of materials other than glass. Today, it markets a full range of tableware products in more than 160 countries.

The Group covers the Consumer Goods and Food Service markets through a portfolio of brands, Luminarc®, Arcoroc®, Cristal d'Arques® Paris, Pyrex®** and Chef & Sommelier. For more than 40 years the Group has also been addressing professional customers – industrialists, traders, manufacturers of semi-finished and finished products, and service providers – by offering them tailored-made solutions to meet their specific requirements (for industry, advertising, premiums and customer loyalty programmes).

Arc International is present in five continents with production sites (France, USA, China, UAE), distribution subsidiaries (France, US, Spain, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan) and sales offices.."

I would find it astonishing if cadmium paint was being used in the French or US production sites today. People could get arrested, 25, 35 years ago, maybe, we were particularly idiotic about so many things then. Seriously, lead figurines being played with by 6 year olds. The problem with a lot of this stuff is that it might be "made" by U.S. (or European or Japanese) companies, but the actual manufacture or finishing (like painting) might be subcontracted out to a factory in a third world country that is looking to cut costs, etc. to make a profit, really isn't worried about what might happen to U.S. consumers...and heck, they might even subcontract it out to even cheaper factories who REALLY don't care.

I work with Cadmium in powder form everyday. We use respirators and full clean suits to help minimize exposure. I highly doubt that these glasses have enough Cad to make anyone sick. Plus it would take 10-20 years too even see any effects.

But at the same time these are for kids, and it might affect children different.

Better to be safe and pitch'em. :blahblah: