• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet prices 1971-2009 for many keys.....Enjoy

27 posts in this topic

Anybody else noticed the big jumps for silverage prices between 1990 to 1994? there was huge increases, you could have doubled your money.

Overstreet was responding to the "Great Suction" of 1987-1989, when high grade Silver Age, previously fairly plentiful, was sucked out of the market with a speed and ferocity unmatched before or since.

Those books vanished...literally, there was almost nothing to be had "at Guide"...and those who wanted them had to pay ever more aggressive prices for them.

Everything Marvel & DC Silver just disappeared.

Combine that with the explosive market of 1990-1993, plus the tight control that dealers had over the market pre-internet, and you had the perfect conditions for the firestorm of price hikes that occured. New buyers (including yours truly) were clamoring for anything they could get their hands on, and the vacuum created by the disappearance of the Silver keys could not be filled.

That's why, in 1985, AF #15 was a solid $900-$1,100 book, realistically...and by 1995, it was a $25,000-$50,000 book. Realistically.

Kinda shocking, really. Those who got in in the early to mid 80's and stayed in to the mid 90's made a serious fortune.

Also interesting are major keys not recognized back in 1971. Pep 22 was listed as part of the run from 21-29, listed at $10 in mint. Archie was not mentioned. Any other keys that were missed?

Yup.

'Tec #225 wasn't broken out, and neither was 'Tec #168 (which wouldn't be for several years.)

Most of the late Golden Age books (Flash #100-104, All Star #55-57) were not broken out, either.

Having actually purchased a few of those keys as a kid circa 1972/73, I can tell you that at those prices you would have been lucky to get a VG copy. I'd forgotten that Overstreet has never been reliable when it comes to value of key books.

True. I bought an X-Men #1 back then for $13.00 when it was valued at $8.00 in Overstreet.

OK, OK, quite rubbing it in old-timer! :o

Anybody else noticed the big jumps for silverage prices between 1990 to 1994? there was huge increases, you could have doubled your money.

Overstreet was responding to the "Great Suction" of 1987-1989, when high grade Silver Age, previously fairly plentiful, was sucked out of the market with a speed and ferocity unmatched before or since.

Those books vanished...literally, there was almost nothing to be had "at Guide"...and those who wanted them had to pay ever more aggressive prices for them.

Everything Marvel & DC Silver just disappeared.

Combine that with the explosive market of 1990-1993, plus the tight control that dealers had over the market pre-internet, and you had the perfect conditions for the firestorm of price hikes that occured. New buyers (including yours truly) were clamoring for anything they could get their hands on, and the vacuum created by the disappearance of the Silver keys could not be filled.

That's why, in 1985, AF #15 was a solid $900-$1,100 book, realistically...and by 1995, it was a $25,000-$50,000 book. Realistically.

Kinda shocking, really. Those who got in in the early to mid 80's and stayed in to the mid 90's made a serious fortune.

It is really shocking! I can`t believe anything like that would ever happen again or would it happen again if some of the copper/bronze keys vanished like that overnight? hm

Thanks for the list Webhead, it also stirred up an old collecting memory from the early 80's.

There was a small Sam the Record Man store in a plaza near where the family lived, that also sold comic books. Same plaza also had an appliance store selling old coins, go figure? The guy showed me one of his 'premium books' and offered it to me for $200. I said no way, would never pay $200 for a comic book. Wish I did now. It was X-Men #1.

Having actually purchased a few of those keys as a kid circa 1972/73, I can tell you that at those prices you would have been lucky to get a VG copy. I'd forgotten that Overstreet has never been reliable when it comes to value of key books.

(thumbs u

I bought my Spidey 1 VGF for $65 in 1975. I would have loved to be able to get a NM copy for $80.

Availability was also a significant issue in the early/mid '70s. Even if Overstreet was accurate, one might well be unable to locate a HG key.

Exactly,back then we did'nt have the internet.Finding most key books were very hard to locate,and forget about grades VF was high grade stuff. :preach:

VF was NM back then, anything nicer would have been called Mint.