• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could post your comic collection on the web for free, would you do it?

30 posts in this topic

Ha-ha-ha ( laughing in my best Mojo-Jojo voice)! But seriously, would other people be able to get into your registry? I can think of several reasons off hand why i would not want that. It would be a good catalog device but public records can come back to bite you in the at the least expected moments! oh well, I guess i better rest up so I can get ready to put in some spare change bids at Heritage tonight on all their underpriced gems - you know us non-crash cult believers have to continue to prop up the market.

Brian,

1.)In the upper left hand corner of the screen, click on "File",

2.) and then click "Save As" from the file menu.

3.) A "Save Web Page" pop up window will appear. At the bottom you will see "File Name", "Save as type", and "Encoding".

4.) Click the downward arrow (pull down menu) for "Save as type". From there select "Web Archive". Finally click "Save", and it will save the web page as a single file so that you don't have to mess with HTML and folders. Also if you have a zip program they will compress to about half the size.

Anyway I highly recommed saving your portfolio if you care about it at all. -M.O.S.

The problem with saving it as a web page is that you can't easily add or remove from the data once saved.

One thing comes through loud and clear from the feedback so far--people want to enter their comics data once, and never again. Makes sense, I feel the same way. Very helpful, thanks!

I've been waiting for someone to provide this service. Have been wanting to set up a page like FF's with books from my collection but just have not had time yet. In order to make the catalog interesting, though, the owner should be able to write about the comics and why he/she collects them. For example, runs like Adventure, More Fun, Famous Funnies, and Mickey Mouse Magazine (my own hobby) would become incredibly much more interesting if you could show shots from the interior of the book along with historical notes. Also, you should be able to group together books across titles: I have a nice set of early Disney comics and rare giveaways that I'd like to make available for others to see, but noone would bother if you had to access each short-lived title like you do from the census. For silver age Marvel collectors, I can see why the NGC format that Arch pointed to would make sense: those runs were long, homogenous and pretty self-contained.

It sounds like CGC's service will be a great start, but I have a feeling it will have to be expanded along the way to compete with the kind of format that FF is proposing.

At the very least, how about a "Hall of Fame" category reserved for Church, Larson, Denver etc.?

Actually, I think you should go ahead with your project, FF. The two services will be complementary: CGC will compare certified books (which will be very interesting), while you will (hopefully) provide more general features for non-certified books. I would be delighted to pay for both.

PS: Thanks to NGC for the collector's mug - I received mine today and they are very nice!

Thanks for the feedback. I absolutely don't want to compete with Architect, Peter Bickford at ComicBase, or web sites like http://www.comicsdb.com/ . If I offer any unique functionality that those guys already don't, I'll likely try to get their cooperation first.

runs like Adventure, More Fun, Famous Funnies, and Mickey Mouse Magazine (my own hobby) would become incredibly much more interesting if you could show shots from the interior of the book along with historical notes
The historical notes would work, but I doubt it's feasible to show shots from the interior of a comic, and your example of Mickey Mouse reminds me of the reason why. It's copyright infringement. Disney is particularly testy about this; they'll take action against elementary school teachers who put Disney characters on the walls of their classrooms without explicit permission to do so.

By the letter of copyright law, I believe that it's illegal to post comic book cover scans in E-Bay auctions! But it's the kind of thing the companies who hold those copyrights would be stupid to ever try to prosecute; it would impede the sales of their products to go after the people trying to sell those products. However, if you start posting interiors on any wide scale, the gloves could come off.

Copyright applies to all unauthorized duplication. Both the distributor and consumer of unauthorized copyrighted intellectual property are at fault, even though most consumers--such as purchasers of pirated software or videos/DVDs--typically don't profit. Example--cable television. You don't get any financial profit from sitting in your living room watching free HBO the cable guy forgot to unhook, but it's still against the law. You're depriving the owner of the intellectual property of the money you may have otherwise paid them. Same goes for MP3s downloaded via the Internet.

Elementary school teachers don't profit from plastering pictures of Goofy they cut out from magazines on their bulletin boards, but I was serious--Disney literally will chase this stuff down. My girlfriend and her sister were teachers, and they're taught this stuff. I talked to a Boy Scout troop leader who got a call from Disney for working a Disney character into the logo for his troop, which he had printed up onto patches and baseball caps. I think their general stance is that once the infringement starts, no matter how minor, it's hard to contain, so they stamp it out whenever someone brings it to their attention.