• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In which age do we find the most fascinating Batman tales?

66 posts in this topic

One often-overlooked run is post-Adams but pre-Rogers: the 7 issues of Detective edited by Archie Goodwin, #437-443. The justifiably praised Manhunter backup stories get most of the attention, but the Batman stories in the front of the book are some of the best-- and most unusual-- of the 1970s.

- Jim Aparo artwork on a couple

- Steve Englehart's first Batman -script

- Howard Chaykin's only Batman story (as an artist)

- One of a handful of Alex Toth Batman stories

- The award-winning Batman/Manhunter crossover, by Goodwin & Walt Simonson

tec437443.jpg

without a doubt.

Those BA Bat readers I got from you James were killer!

:headbang:

Perusing the DC site, I also recommend this book. Sure it's from the cartoon, but the Batman/Gotham/and Robin Adventures books are generally good reading with one story per issue.
I highly recommend Mad Love and Other Stories. Picked it up on vacation in February and loved it. Some very enjoyable stories including a gem drawn by Dan DeCarlo about Harley Quinn.

Killing Joke - If the Joker's lunacy had finally infected Batman, Bats would have laughed right along with him and then reached over, and snapped his neck.

Which is actually one way to interpret those last panels.

I do agree that DKR is a great story, but it led to a lot of inferior imitations, and led to the almost soulless Batman of the nineties. I prefer Batman as determined, and obsessed, but still hanging on to sanity.

See in my opinion that's a contradiction right there in itself. Doug Moench and Kelley Jones had Bats nailed in the 90s from #516 onwards. Very dark and very gothic, I think it was the best run on Batman since the early 400s. If it's a run anyone hasn't tried it out I'd highly recommend it (thumbs u

Killing Joke - If the Joker's lunacy had finally infected Batman, Bats would have laughed right along with him and then reached over, and snapped his neck.

I do agree that DKR is a great story, but it led to a lot of inferior imitations, and led to the almost soulless Batman of the nineties. I prefer Batman as determined, and obsessed, but still hanging on to sanity.

See in my opinion that's a contradiction right there in itself. Doug Moench and Kelley Jones had Bats nailed in the 90s from #516 onwards. Very dark and very gothic, I think it was the best run on Batman since the early 400s. If it's a run anyone hasn't tried it out I'd highly recommend it (thumbs u

Just different strokes I guess. I couldn't get past the crappy art to read the issues. Kelly Jones should be doing Sandman, not Batman.

Just different strokes I guess. I couldn't get past the crappy art to read the issues. Kelly Jones should be doing Sandman, not Batman.

Yep (thumbs u

Taste is a wonderful thing ain't it? I loved Jones' run on Bats, I'd probably go as far as to say he's one of my favourite Bat artists. He is very much an acquired taste, but man I loved those issues. I was always waiting for that little puppeteer to take a role in a story but he never did.

Looking beyond the art though, I still think Moench wrote some wonderful stories in those four years or so.

I may have missed some of those issues, I'll give 'em a shot.