• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Now grading Lobby Cards?

42 posts in this topic

Maybe I missed something, but I had no idea that CGC was starting to grade lobby cards. I think it's a good idea after the counterfeit Universal Horror poster debacle from a few months ago.

I found this thread about it over on the MOPO message forum:

MOPO: CGC Lobby Cards

Most of the people on that forum seem against the idea, but I can't see the problem, especially since a poster can be fully appreciated while kept in a slab.

A set of 8 11" x 14" posters that were displayed in the lobby of movie theaters when a film was being exhibited.

I don't remember all of the details, but a few Universal Horror posters that were valued at around a hundred grand were fakes. The story made it into the mainstream press, I'll see if I can find a link.

Maybe I missed something, but I had no idea that CGC was starting to grade lobby cards. I think it's a good idea after the counterfeit Universal Horror poster debacle from a few months ago.

Most of the people on that forum seem against the idea, but I can't see the problem, especially since a poster can be fully appreciated while kept in a slab.

Some are traditionalists and want to be able to feel & smell the vintage paper, just like with comics, others are conspiracy theorists and everything is a plot to destroy the hobby/rob people of money/a collusion of the evil forces, just like with comics, and some just aren't sure one way or another. There are certain questions that I'm curious to learn the answers to: Who's doing the grading? Do they have experience with vintage movie paper and detecting resto?

Some are traditionalists and want to be able to feel & smell the vintage paper, just like with comics

I'm kinda like that with comics, though I've come to appreciate what CGC has done for the upper end of the hobby. I'd never buy a major key GA book that wasn't slabbed unless it was already disclosed as being restored.

I don't remember all of the details, but a few Universal Horror posters that were valued at around a hundred grand were fakes. The story made it into the mainstream press, I'll see if I can find a link.

There were posters and lobby cards that were allegedly faked by a big time collector/dealer in the hobby. He and his wife have been sued over it and are currently being tried in NY. Some of the faked Unihorror posters were worth well over 100K

I didn't know that 100 posters were faked! :o I wonder how many more are floating around out there?

Georgia Man Arrested for Allegedly Selling Fake Movie Posters

By Kamika Dunlap on May 4, 2010 11:45 AM |

Although Kerry Haggard was selling fake movie posters, the horror was real.

The Georgia-based dealer, accused of selling $1 million worth of fake vintage horror movie posters over the Internet, has been arrested by federal authorities on mail fraud charges, the New York Times reports.

Haggard, 45, also is accused of using a New York-based printing company and a restoration artist to fabricate nearly 100 vintage horror movie posters and lobby cards. Haggard allegedly sold the counterfeit products through eBay.

Prosecutors say the Georgia man sold fake movie posters for vintage horror movies including "Frankenstein," "Son of Frankenstein," "Mummy's Hand" and "Murder in the Rue Morgue."

Haggard allegedly sold the fake movie posters and lobby cards for $500 to $5,000 a pop. In addition, he allegedly traded his fake products to other collectors for the real thing.

This counterfeiting scandal has devastated the close-knit community of movie poster collectors.

In general, counterfeiting is the process of fraudulently manufacturing, altering, or distributing a product that is of lesser value than the genuine product.

Counterfeiting is a criminal offense when it involves an intent to defraud in passing off the counterfeit item.

According to the New York Times, Haggard was sued for selling allegedly fake promotional materials, but said he was a victim of a "colossal frame-up."

The U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York and the FBI filed charges against Kerry Haggard.

Haggard's victims say they discovered the fake movie posters after restoration experts at an auction informed them the work was counterfeit.

He now faces mail fraud charges, up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.

Some are traditionalists and want to be able to feel & smell the vintage paper, just like with comics

I'm kinda like that with comics, though I've come to appreciate what CGC has done for the upper end of the hobby. I'd never buy a major key GA book that wasn't slabbed unless it was already disclosed as being restored.

There's nothing wrong with being a traditionalist (thumbs u

There's nothing wrong with being a traditionalist (thumbs u

:shy:

I didn't know that 100 posters were faked! :o I wonder how many more are floating around out there?

Nobody's really sure. The NY charges stem from their eBay sales, where those $500-5,000 figures come from. Haggard allegedly had fakes created of extremely rare Unihorror posters that he sold to his friends/fellow collectors and one that was in a high profile auction. The sheet really hit the fan when the one in the auction was found to be a fake, after it had been authenticated by a leading poster restorer doh!

Doiby.. do you often post to MoPo ??

Yeah, I think it was a Lugosi DRACULA poster that sold on Heritage for big bucks.

Incorrect.. it was a Dracula window card and Frankenstein title card as well as some other items that sold in a Profiles in History auction. Then a Dracula one-sheet was attempted and discovered before sale

all in all, over $2,000,000 of movie posters were forged with the help of a restorer and we probably don't know of quite a bit more that has yet to be discovered.

concerning CGC lobby cards.. I haven't \weighed in to MoPo yet on the subject because I'd been busy with Torpedo Comics. Now I can comment and will in a day or so.

Yeah, I think it was a Lugosi DRACULA poster that sold on Heritage for big bucks.

Incorrect.. it was a Dracula window card and Frankenstein title card as well as some other items that sold in a Profiles in History auction. Then a Dracula one-sheet was attempted and discovered before sale

all in all, over $2,000,000 of movie posters were forged with the help of a restorer and we probably don't know of quite a bit more that has yet to be discovered.

concerning CGC lobby cards.. I haven't \weighed in to MoPo yet on the subject because I'd been busy with Torpedo Comics. Now I can comment and will in a day or so.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup: