• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Now grading Lobby Cards?

42 posts in this topic

I have lobby cards and movie posters. You just have to be careful buying them and know your stuff. CGC on lobby cards? I don't think so. If they do that, they have to do movie posters as well. There already is a grading system on lobby cards and movie posters. If you thought pressing is an issue (good or bad), wait until they see lobby cards or movie posters called linen backing. This is complete restoration to make it 100% (tear seals, pressing and so on) whole.

No way is it plausible to slab a poster. No one is going to pay for or carry around a 27X40/41 slab. The cost of the slab and shipping would be prohibitively expensive. The biggest size CGC could reasonably certify would be a WC, and even that would be a monstrosity.

As for resto, it isn't frowned upon in the poster hobby (if disclosed and done properly) as it is in comics…yet. I brought up the question in another forum if slabbing lobbies will stigmatize those with resto as it did for comics. Should the process catch on, it just might

Another monumental obstacle to poster slabbing is the huge variance in sizes of international paper. It's inconceivable of CGC to create slabs specifically for British quads, Italian 1foglio, French affiche & grande, Japanese B0/B1/B2, etc. What about inserts, daybills, locandinas, and so forth?

I have lobby cards and movie posters. You just have to be careful buying them and know your stuff. CGC on lobby cards? I don't think so. If they do that, they have to do movie posters as well. There already is a grading system on lobby cards and movie posters. If you thought pressing is an issue (good or bad), wait until they see lobby cards or movie posters called linen backing. This is complete restoration to make it 100% (tear seals, pressing and so on) whole.

Sounds like there was no watch dog all these years in thier hobby,similar to comics in the 1990`s and now a lot of old time lobby card dealers are getting worried of change. To me it looks like lobby cards are going to be a good investment and I would get in on this now as in 5 years most of these lobby cards will be hitting new highs in prices. 2c

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Sounds like there was no watch dog all these years in thier hobby,similar to comics in the 1990`s and now a lot of old time lobby card dealers are getting worried of change. To me it looks like lobby cards are going to be a good investment and I would get in on this now as in 5 years most of these lobby cards will be hitting new highs in prices. 2c

That's one of the biggest concerns of those that oppose slabbing lobby cards, that they'll become an investment/commodity (like they feel comics have become). They blame CGC for that (in regards to comics) and don't want to see it come to the poster hobby. Some believe that anyone that buys a slabbed comic is an investor and there aren't any more collectors because of CGC. I shake my head at a statement like that, but perception is reality for those not in the comic hobby, I guess.

I can hardly afford comics,no room on my plate for another hobby. :sick:

It depends what you like to collect. Many posters, lobbies, window cards, etc can be had for less than, or around same the price of, a slabbed comic. The more popular/HTF titles will cost more, of course, but many modern posters can be had for $20-50

That's one of the biggest concerns of those that oppose slabbing lobby cards, that they'll become an investment/commodity (like they feel comics have become). They blame CGC for that (in regards to comics) and don't want to see it come to the poster hobby. Some believe that anyone that buys a slabbed comic is an investor and there aren't any more collectors because of CGC. I shake my head at a statement like that, but perception is reality for those not in the comic hobby, I guess.

Everytime a third party grading service gets involved be it coins,baseball cards and comics the prices for the high grade/unrestored stuff is always worth more 5 years down the line. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I wonder if CGC will be hiring an expert on Movie paper? I think that may be one of the biggest concerns for collectors of this stuff.

I am soooooo glad I bought my 'vintage posters' in Vegas for only ten dollars....I figured it looks all the same inside the frame....I figured everyone and their momma already have the attack of the 50 ft woman...why pay the extra cash...

Well, since the process has already started, hopefully CGC will post more info about who's doing the grading and such at some point

Ange.. Grey Smith went to CGC and spent time with the graders showing them how to do their job. I understand it wasn't some 2 day seminar, but a long term education.

concerning the member who posted that "what's next one sheets?" or something like that.... If you recall, when CGC started slabbing comics, they only slabbed comics. Not digests or magazines. I don't recall if they do digests at this time, but they started slabbing mags a few years after comics. However, they do not slab Treasuries do they?

Slabbing has a maximum size to be of any use and I don't believe window cards will be slabbed due to size and the larger fact that they are niche market in posters anyway.

Lobby card slabbing is here to stay however, the 8.0 and above cards for classics and rare will become commodities and value on them will go up. Newer material it willbe 9.0.

Slabbing of lower grade original cards will be done more as an authentication than investment issue to prevent Kerry Haggard look-alikes from entering the hobby. There are reasons that rectal purges like Dan Dupcak are in low numbers in poster collecting.

one more thing Angelo.. while restoration is looked at differently in posters than comics because a poster is an "art object" unlike a comic book which is a collectible, the collectors are probably split about 50/50 on the issue, but for very rare posters almost any collector will accept a linen backed and restored poster as it may very well be the singular way to find it.. especially if it is - like in very many cases with posters - the only known or one of only a few known copies

sidebar: movie posters beat comics in a fight over what is more rare.

For instance, there are more Action #1s extant than there are one sheets, inserts, window cards, half sheets, three & six sheets known to exist one original issues for all of these titles combined: Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, King Kong & Metropolis. For the total of those sized posters of all of those titles combined do not count to 100.

Even lobby cards for any single title above more action #1s are known to exist where you have as few as maybe 10-20 known to less than 100 on the most common of them.

Well, since the process has already started, hopefully CGC will post more info about who's doing the grading and such at some point

Ange.. Grey Smith went to CGC and spent time with the graders showing them how to do their job. I understand it wasn't some 2 day seminar, but a long term education.

concerning the member who posted that "what's next one sheets?" or something like that.... If you recall, when CGC started slabbing comics, they only slabbed comics. Not digests or magazines. I don't recall if they do digests at this time, but they started slabbing mags a few years after comics. However, they do not slab Treasuries do they?

Slabbing has a maximum size to be of any use and I don't believe window cards will be slabbed due to size and the larger fact that they are niche market in posters anyway.

I agree. far less movie posters and so on created that are around than any KEY book out there. A lot of fakes/reprints people pass off as the real ones. I would say lobby/movie posters before 1970 are hard finds. They were destroyed or sent back to the movie company. I think there are more linen back posters floating out there than original posters. Glad I don't collect them anymore and have what I want. :)

Lobby card slabbing is here to stay however, the 8.0 and above cards for classics and rare will become commodities and value on them will go up. Newer material it willbe 9.0.

Slabbing of lower grade original cards will be done more as an authentication than investment issue to prevent Kerry Haggard look-alikes from entering the hobby. There are reasons that rectal purges like Dan Dupcak are in low numbers in poster collecting.

one more thing Angelo.. while restoration is looked at differently in posters than comics because a poster is an "art object" unlike a comic book which is a collectible, the collectors are probably split about 50/50 on the issue, but for very rare posters almost any collector will accept a linen backed and restored poster as it may very well be the singular way to find it.. especially if it is - like in very many cases with posters - the only known or one of only a few known copies

sidebar: movie posters beat comics in a fight over what is more rare.

For instance, there are more Action #1s extant than there are one sheets, inserts, window cards, half sheets, three & six sheets known to exist one original issues for all of these titles combined: Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, King Kong & Metropolis. For the total of those sized posters of all of those titles combined do not count to 100.

Even lobby cards for any single title above more action #1s are known to exist where you have as few as maybe 10-20 known to less than 100 on the most common of them.