• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The time has arrived

50 posts in this topic

My sister and I taught our Parakeet how to talk when we were kids and it used to harass our dog "Dino" every morning by calling out his name tongue.gif You should see my sister's house...it looks like an animal farm!!! shocked.gif

I say Darth should do a Parrot rescue, since he now has a Family and all

Believe it or not, this home I moved into used to belong to some exotic bird owners. Our spare bedroom used to be the birds' room. I believe they ran (still run?) exoticbirds.com

as for myself, I have 2 dogs and love dogs as pets. However birds are a different story: when I was a kid growing uo in a small aprtment in Queens, all I could have as a pet was fish and birds. WEll fish kept dying so gave up on that. Then we had 2 parakeets who sang like crazy - I loved them. But one died mysteriously.we thought the other bird killed it. However, living in apartments in Queens means living with unexpected and unwanted tenants as well. One day the other bird, now alone, was found dead and half open with roaches crawling in and out like it was a pizza party. It turns out that a rat snuck into the cage and killed both birds. Needless to say, I never thought birds were cute adorable pets again. Now I got me some mad rats as pets too! wink.gif

Needless to say, I never thought birds were cute adorable pets again.

Ohhh, Darth. You can't help but love Birds that can say some of the things these birds say.

Emma is a 2 year old Double Yellow Amazon parrot. She was playing on her perch one afternoon, and my wife noticed that she was chewing on the wood trim around the basement door. "Emma, No" my wife yelled. Emma looked at her and in a bewildered voice said, "What"?

Darwin is a 1 1/2 year old Timneh African Grey parrot. Every morning when I get him out of his cage, if I forget to say Hi to him, he reminds me by repeating "Hi Darwin", until I say it. Once I say "Hi Darwin" he is satisfied and ready to start his day.

Pedro is a 2 1/2 year old Blue Fronted Amazon parrot. No matter what song is playing on the stereo, he will TRY to sing along. Unfortunately, the only song he knows is "Take me out to the ball game" Sooo he makes up words and says them to the TUNE of "Take me out to the ball game".

They say and do a whole lot more than just these things. Everyone who meets them absolutely loves them. Darwin is currently asking me over and over "Whatcha doin? ... Huh?"

It is SOOOO much like having a two year old with the vocabulary of a five year old that you just wouldn't believe it. They are really good friends too, if I am feeling down Emma somehow seems to know, and she gets very affectionate. If I am feeling particularly up, she seems to know this too, and she gets very playful by backing up to me till I grab her tail and say "I got your tail". Then she runs away screaming "Oh nooooo, Oh noooo". It is great Darth, you would love it.

smile.gif

Phil

I rescue birds quite often from the devious paws of one of my cats. Usually I get there in enough time to keep him, the other cat and the dog at bay while I get the bird back outside.

The cat likes to bring the birds alive into the house for some reason. I don't begrudge the cat his instincts, but I just can't stomach him hurting the poor bird while I'm around. wink.gif

Another update on this.

After making three unsuccessful attempts to deliver the gifts and inform Shane's Mom about the interview, I went to the leasing office in the apartment complex where they live. I explained the entire situation to the leasing agent there, and she told me that Shanes Mother was due in court this coming Wednesday for a hearing on eviction. I asked her if she would go into the apartment and see if they are still living there, and she agreed.

When we knocked on the door Shanes Mom answered the door. I asked if Shane was home, and with a VERY perplexed look she said he was. She called Shane out from another room and when he came out I said "Shane"? He said "Yes" and he looked very scared. I said "Santa got your letter". His face lit up like a Christmas tree. I handed him the stuffed dog and said "Santa sent this". I handed him a letter from Santa, and handed his Mom the book and the gift certificate. I told her Santa had sent those for her and explained what she needed to do to arrange the job interview.

She seemed emotionally torn, between pride for her son, joy for her son, and gratitude. She thanked me many times, and I finally explained to her that I was merely an "Ambassador for Santa", and that the one she should thank was Shane. With that I made a hasty exit. I visit the Petco store regularly, so I will post again after I speak with the manager over there again.

Merry Christmas

Phil

A final update here;

1. Shanes Mother is now working in the local Petco store in the grooming department.

2. Her landlord asked her to get a letter from her new employer stating that she had obtained full time employment, and agreed to let her stay and catch up the rent.

3. Shane was given a dog by one of the employees of the Petco store.

4. Shane is getting up early every morning to play with the dog (He was having a hard time getting up for school previously)

Phil

Yo, where the frig have you been?

Holy Cow, have I been busy. The winter is always busy in the computer biz, but I have a new customer that has me writing websites like they are going out of style. It isn't going to slow down any time soon either. Maybe time to hire somebody soon? I hope everyone has been having a good time, and my best wishes to anyone who has family in the U.S. military. I did notice that the forums haven't speeded up any. smile.gif

Phil