• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone let me know the 5 top lowest print run variants of the last 2 years.

34 posts in this topic

Thanks very much for all the information. I think the problem with my post is that I was a bit confused as to what actually constituted a variant. What I mean is, like you said in one of your posts Convention variants vrs retailer incentives. In other words, are Convention Variants considered "Official Variants" for lack of a better pair of words or if we are talking official acceptance are retailer incentives considered official. Its almost like the convention variants can be considered in an unofficial capacity or almost if you, an Underground comic in a way.

Please correct me if Im wrong. Im more of a Atomic Age collector so collecing in this area I am trying to learn but to categorize the Variants into what is truly accepted by the standard collector as opposed to what is just considered extra frills so to speak of a book given only at a convention. I guess the difference would possibly be if the convention only book kept in line and was a continuation of a main series book.

Im not sure.

Ive been looking over all the variants on ebay just to get an overall idea about them and I see the vastness of variant books out there. As I see this, I cant help but wonder- Is it possible to have so many 1:10 1:50 1:100 or 1:500 that even at their rarest, they would not really be considered rare just from the scope of what is being pumped out. Even at 1:500 its seems that if a number of companies keep pumping the 1:500 books out, even though they are scarce, in the general overall scheme of things if I have 100 different book runs pumping out 1 :500 books dont they then generally just become TONS of low print runs Variants on tons of books. Please correct me if Im wrong. Im just trying to get a general overview on how variant collecting fits into the general comics market.

Few of the "1: " books are going to be as rare as the "limited to 100, 50, 25, and even 10" books that exist.

For example...

Many Lady Death books in the last few years have had "Limited to 50" editions, such as this one:

!Bjc2olw!2k~$(KGrHqUOKisEsnybbD6kBLTm)yYGtQ~~_3.jpg

Quite a few of those.

Few of the "1: " books are going to be as rare as the "limited to 100, 50, 25, and even 10" books that exist.

For example...

Many Lady Death books in the last few years have had "Limited to 50" editions, such as this one:

Quite a few of those.

Obviously the question was open to interpretation, but I assumed he meant production variants, not hand numbered con variants etc.

For example...

Quite a few of those.

Obviously the question was open to interpretation, but I assumed he meant production variants, not hand numbered con variants etc.

You're going to have to clarify what you mean in terms of the difference. A variant is a variant is a variant, whether it was distributed at a convention, or through Diamond, or a specific store, or a fan club.

All the Vampirella Blues, for example, are "limited to 100", and were originally available only through Harris (and the Scarlet Legion Fan Club.)

If we're not including non-printed variants, like the Jay Company books (which are just regular books with new covers stapled to them), that's fine....but the Lady Death limiteds are actually limited to 50, not "limited to 50 SIGNED copies."

I think what is needed is the criteria for which a variant is considered to have a "low" print run. Whether there was a certain total of copies made, ie. an RRP with a max of 3k made, or something along the lines of a 1:200 variant..., or something with even less of a print run.

It's hard to quantify, though, because I always assumed that the print run factored in. For example a 1:200 of a 15,000 print run would be more rare than a 1:300 of a 50,000 print run. It's a lot of variables.

The Dark Horse 100 Umbrella Academy variant seemed like it was pretty low print run, too, btw.

All the DH100 variants are limited to 1,000 copies - can't remember the entire list off the top of my head, but there were definitely ones for the Goon, Conan, Buffy S8, Umbrella Academy, Serenity: Better Days, Terminator 2029 and Predator series.

All the DH100 variants are limited to 1,000 copies - can't remember the entire list off the top of my head, but there were definitely ones for the Goon, Conan, Buffy S8, Umbrella Academy, Serenity: Better Days, Terminator 2029 and Predator series.

There's also Usagi Yojimbo #123

And the term "regular special edition" made me laugh a little.