• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Resources to Learn How to Grade?

51 posts in this topic

When I was learning (still am!), perusing the 'Can you spare a grade' board really got me familiar with what each grade looks like.

Owning alot of CGC books and seeing thousands helps you get a feel for each grade as well...

Also buy books graded by CGC in different grades,that will help you to determine what to look for in raw books.The only true way is experience. :preach:

A better way is to swap the word CGC with the words Flaming Telepath. (thumbs u

You can also try using another free internet grading site, which I use frequently.

Nostomia Grading Guide

http://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

(thumbs u

funny how all the examples are CGC'ed.

;)

Yeah, they're not good examples since you can't really zoom in on them. I focus more on the description. For visuals, I either use actual CGC books on hand (which as with everything may not be consistent) or the boards as previously mentioned. It's always good to have several tools and not just rely on one.

And the only way to learn how to grade is to look at thousands and thousands of them...like FD said...

This is the second time in one day that I've found myself agreeing with RMA :eek: now excuse me while I go and scrub my eyeballs with acid.

Oh yeah, forgot to say that going by CGC books isn't very helpful because you can't even see the inside of the book. You can't judge a book by it's cover :preach: .... unless you're PGX.

Do NOT try to learn how to grade from scans.

Repeat, do NOT do this.

Grading from scans is fun, but it's ultimately useless. Scans hide so many flaws, it's impossible to learn from them.

The only way to learn how to grade is by having books in hand.

And the only way to learn how to grade is to look at thousands and thousands of them...like FD said...

This is the second time in one day that I've found myself agreeing with RMA :eek: now excuse me while I go and scrub my eyeballs with acid.

Use the hydrochloric....it leaves a fresh, lemony scent...

(I truly don't understand why so many of you damn Brits on this board have issues with me. You'd be very hard pressed to find a Yankee here who loves all things UK more than me. I even tried to emigrate, that's how much I love the UK. Oh well.)

If you actually want to learn to grade accurately then that's part of the battle cos bad graders usually can't be bothered to learn or it's not in their financial interests to learn.

Read the boards as much as you can, particularly the grading forum. If you meet any experienced graders, ask them to point out why they'd grade books at a certain grade. Try grading your own books and getting feedback on your grading from others. Look at CGC books and compare them. Read whatever grading guides you find and apply them to your comics.

None of these on their own, will teach you how to grade but the more you learn from any method, the better picture you'll get.

(I truly don't understand why so many of you damn Brits on this board have issues with me. You'd be very hard pressed to find a Yankee here who loves all things UK more than me. I even tried to emigrate, that's how much I love the UK. Oh well.)

It's the way you call us "damn Brits". lol

Use the hydrochloric....it leaves a fresh, lemony scent...

Mmmm, lemony. :cloud9:

I even tried to emigrate, that's how much I love the UK.

Don't tell me border control wouldn't let you in?

Long story.

I'll tell it over a warm Guinness in person someday...

;)

Look forward to it (thumbs u