• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maximum Grade with this corner?

25 posts in this topic

I purchased this comic (JIM #116) in a presumed 9.2 condition. After evaluating it, I am worried that the top left corner is not worthy of a 9.2. I'd like some opinions of what the max grade could be with the corner as shown. Assume the rest of the comic is worthy of a 9.2 grade. The Overstreet's definition of a 9.2 corner is: "Corners are cut square and sharp w/ ever-so-slight blunting permitted."

The corner is slightly blunted w/ the associated color being damaged.

*Added a complete scan and updated close up*

IMG_0988.jpg

img002.jpg

That appears to be at the limit for a 9.2, I've seen 9.2 books that were almost perfect except for a small defect like that. It depends on how much of the corner is missing, and how nice the rest of the book is.

If the rest of the book is a normal 9.2 level, then that corner would push it down for sure.

The scan of the entire book looks a bit cropped, but if that corner is the only flaw, it's an easy 9.2.

It does look like there are a few small spine ticks as well, which in combination might drop the grade to 9.0.

I can't tell if there are 3 or 4 color breaking ticks on the spine from the pic. If they are there, I think it will be hard to get a 9.2 even if the rest of the other corners are sharp, which I can't tell either from the pics.

The corner not only has abrasion but significant loss of color. CGC does not like color loss. In my opinion, it's a possible 9.0, more likely an 8.5. There also appears to be a stain of some sort at the bottom of the logo.

The corner not only has abrasion but significant loss of color. CGC does not like color loss. In my opinion, it's a possible 9.0, more likely an 8.5. There also appears to be a stain of some sort at the bottom of the logo.

+1 (8.5) (thumbs u That is if the edges of the book not shown in the cropped portions of the photo are in nice shape.

One thing to consider about the 'possibilty' of it receiving a 9.2...

If you purchased the book with that corner abrasion already in a 9.2 slab would you be happy ? I doubt it. 8.5 does seem about right.

True Bob, the few 9.2's that I've seen like that were not high on my wish list. But that isn't a huge defect in some cases. More of a shame to me, check out the 9.6 of ASM 16 that is auctioning on CLink. That book looks perfect, but it has the one top spine corner dinged, color missing and all. Without it that 9.6 might be a 9.9, easily a 9.8 book.

Grade is one thing, overall presentation of the book is another.

yup, I got many 9.2 slabs and most don't have that kind of "scuff" but they have rounded corner(s) or small color breaking crease on one corner. Personally I rather have those flaws that a color loss scuff like that on a 9.2 slab.

For this book to be a 9.2, the other 3 corners better be razor sharp for me to want it.