• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christopher Nolan's Inception

79 posts in this topic

Cillian Murphy was also great in this flick. As was the entire cast.

I found his character to be one the most compelling characters, and felt honestly bad for him. DiCaprio doesn't do it for me (yes, he id a good actor), but I felt no emotional connection for his character.

I found his character to be one the most compelling characters, and felt honestly bad for him. DiCaprio doesn't do it for me (yes, he id a good actor), but I felt no emotional connection for his character.

Yeah old scarecrow did a good job...

;)

Yeah old scarecrow did a good job...

;)

See I was on that bandwagon before Batman Begins. I saw him in Disco Pigs, then 28 Days Later.

Edit: Yay zombies!

You're probably the first chick to ever say that

Bad idea on discussing the spoilers. doh!

NOT a bad idea if they are "hidden" like mine.

I just want to discuss, and those comments can be hidden as well...

Most people on here can't even spell, yet you think this is a viable path?

You're probably the first chick to ever say that

He has a pumpkin head. Not attractive.

Bad idea on discussing the spoilers. doh!

NOT a bad idea if they are "hidden" like mine.

I just want to discuss, and those comments can be hidden as well...

Most people on here can't even spell, yet you think this is a viable path?

Pot - Kettle

I guess I'm in the minority, lol...went to see it last night...

3 out of the 4 people I was with, were not impressed.

I was probably one of the few people who really disliked the movie "Titanic", well, I loved the scenery, but I just wanted him to drown at the end...I think I felt the same way about this movie WAY too long and contrived. At the beginning, we figured he was finally being picked up from the Titanic;) within 60 minutes, I was hoping he'd drown again;)

I was squirming in my seat, but not because of the action...I wanted to escape.

:sorry:

Just saw this movie.

I have not read the other pages to view others opinions but I will gladly add my own,

One of the worst movies I have ever forced myself to finish watching!

My wife and I just saw the movie tonight and we thought it was great! The surreal art references were interesting, with M.C. Escher's staircase and the use of the train which reminded me of Magritte's Time Transfixed. It was also great to see a packed theater for a movie that didn't rely on a formulaic plot or bodily function humor.

I just got home from seeing it...well, at least I think I just saw it. If this is the future of film, I will gladly go along for the ride. Time to wake up now.

But what about the ending, spoiler free, did you like it or hate it?

That seems to be what everyone is talking about.

My wife and I just saw the movie tonight and we thought it was great! The surreal art references were interesting, with M.C. Escher's staircase and the use of the train which reminded me of Magritte's Time Transfixed. It was also great to see a packed theater for a movie that didn't rely on a formulaic plot or bodily function humor.

A packed theater in week two of the summer blockbuster season?

Sounds like a good sign for the total box office.

Not too long before we get "Inception 2: Electric Boogaloo"

:applause:

I haven't entirely decided, but as Nolan intended, it has left me pondering the entire film's meaning after seeing it last night. I'm going to post about it fairly soon...should we start another thread that contains spoilers? The movie's complexity begs lengthy, spoiler-filled forum discussions.

I just got home from seeing it...well, at least I think I just saw it. If this is the future of film, I will gladly go along for the ride. Time to wake up now.

Endings that are open to interpretation have never bothered me. With a film like this, I would not have expected it to end any other way. A tied-up, neat ending would not do justice to a film as layered as this. Sitting here thinking about it is starting to give me a headache. I haven't been this puzzled since Lynch's Mullholland Drive, which is also excellent. I will be seeing this film again. To answer your question, I like the ending, which might be Nolan's "kick" for all of us watching it.

I saw that ending....several times before, in Twilight Zone episodes and cheesy Sci-Fi films.

My wife's and my attention was held by this well crafted motion picture, but it didn't resonate on an emotional or visceral level for me and I don't have the type of mind to enjoy those kind of mind games.

Simply a matter of taste and opinion and I didn't hate it, just didn't love it. Having said that, I can't deny the artistry and craft involved in making this film, but that's not all it takes and I'm still of the opinion that one lone human being, standing on stage in a spot, can create an even more splendid reality than all these technique laden films can.

Simply a matter of taste and opinion and I didn't hate it, just didn't love it. Having said that, I can't deny the artistry and craft involved in making this film, but that's not all it takes and I'm still of the opinion that one lone human being, standing on stage in a spot, can create an even more splendid reality than all these technique laden films can.

I mostly agree with this, except that the intellectual puzzle is something that I find intriguing. I was similarly intrigued by the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions to figure out the puzzle. However, in the Matrix sequels, figuring out the puzzle simply allowed you to figure out what the movie was even about, which was just a digital superhero story...in Inception, figuring out the puzzle I feel is yielding riper fruit as it allows you to learn some of Nolan's ideas about the importance of dreams, which is of universal interest to people.

However, unlike the Matrix sequels, it's tough to watch and enjoy this film without understanding the entire story, plot, and subtext. You could easily watch the Matrix and just get off on the action and fight scenes, which I think is what 90% of the audience did anyway, but in Inception, the story and plot are so central to the film that you're forced to follow it for you to enjoy it at all, so I can absolutely understand why a lot of people who see it will fall off the train and not see much up on screen that's compelling enough to make them want to get back on for a full 2.5 hours. Nolan is still just mediocre at action sequences...they were passable but not spectacular. I didn't really enjoy many of the gunfighting scenes much at all...he doesn't have a flair for action like the Wachowskis or a Michael Bay, although he clearly spins a better overall tale than someone like Bay.