• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Painting Sells for $1.5 million

89 posts in this topic

A splendid analysis, and who knows. But money talks, and the Conan sold. It sold to a serious collector, and perhaps that's the best thing that could happen. :)

Do you know who purchased the Conan painting?

Yep.

I think you have to assign some of the blame to Frank Sr and his wife. It seems like they never let their family enjoy much, if any, of the wealth that they could have from selling a few of Frank's paintings while he was alive, and then they didn't transfer the paintings to a trust controlled by an independent trustee if they really wanted the paintings to stay intact.

So after years of knowing that their parents were sitting on a gold mine but not getting any benefit out of it, the kids get to own the gold mine. Which means that after what seems to have been a very middle class upbringing at best, suddenly millions of dollars can be theirs just by selling some of the old man's paintings. Plus, after commissions and taxes, the net isn't all that huge. And the more money that comes in, the more of it they want because their taste for the good life has increased accordingly after a lifetime of denial, meaning more works need to be sold.

It's easy to sit in judgment of the family, but I think until one's been in a position where one is deciding between honoring one's father and continuing a fairly mundane existence versus getting millions of dollars and completely changing one's life, I don't think such judgments will be fair.

Very interesting observations hm puts a new perspective on this.

What's truly bizarre about this is the lack of reporting on the facts.

Frank Sr. did want Frank Jr to get his paintings away from his greedy kids, and signed a notarized and (later certified) letter telling him to do so. That Frank Sr wanted his paintings protected from his other kids is indisputable.

You are way way WAY off on this Vince. If he had such a document, and if such a document existed, and if such a document existed and was valid and not a forgery of some kind he would not have been charged with the felonies he was charged with.

If you had talked to Frank Sr. at any time during the time this was occurring you'd know that.

The problem is, that Frank Sr. had already been scammed into signing all of his rights over to his kids, so even though he was the creator and owner, he had no legal say whatsoever in what happened to the paintings.

Again just patently, thoroughly, and 100% incorrect. Every single thing you wrote here could not be more wrong even if you were actually trying to be wrong.

The documents that were released and the statements made by Frank Sr., the court, the attorneys, (basically all the FACTS) refute your beliefs completely.

So Frank Sr knew his kids were planning to sell them all off, Frank Jr was told to secure the paintings for his father (all of this is indisputable) but due to his kids having control of his assets, Frank Sr had no legal right to stop it.

You guessed it Vince...wrong again. I don't know where you are getting your information, but I suggest clearing your browser cache, you got duped in a major way.

I can't even imagine kids that devious, and they even released an ultra-fake video to gain public support.

Now Frank Sr dead and Frank Jr is in jail. I also wouldn't recommend his family dress warmly on their deathbeds.

It's obvious you haven't been following the story, read the actual facts, seen any of the documents, gathered info from more than one source, or have any independent insight into this matter.

The charges against Jr. were dropped several months ago, he hasn't been "in jail" for almost 9 months. It was Frank Sr. who was livid with Frank Jr. for his actions. There are several independent interviews done directly with the man where he states as much unequivocally. You are totally out in left field on this without a factual basis to support anything that you are saying.

I am sorry Vince, normally you do your research carefully enough to be respected, this time you could not have missed the mark worse if you wanted to.

all this talk that Frank didn't want his paintings sold and wanted them to remain intact is totally speculation backed up by no facts what-so-ever.

as has been noted, if that's what Frank wanted, he would have set up the appropriate documents preventing them from being sold. By not doing so, it shows that he expected them to be sold, much like the collections of whatever we all own ourselves, especially in light of the museum break-in in January.

Not having any such document set up means that Frank probably didn't have any illusions that the material would remain intact. Not having any document that even mentions how they should be sold, what paintings should be sold, or if any should be bequeathed to other museums is an implicit understanding that his heirs would and could sell them if they so wish. Not having one of them, or an attorney to control any sales is yet another indication that FRank just might not have cared at this point.

to be sure, while Frank did paint for money and almost never otherwise, the biggest reality is that he painted for himself and he painted for Ellie. Now they're both gone and most certainly, neither of them cares now.

Lack of a document saying otherwise is only more proof that in the period before he died, Frank expected them to be sold to benefit his children.