• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Mistakes

143 posts in this topic

This has not been corrected from last year's OS, as per a thread on the BA forums:

1) GL/GA 76 appears on both the Most Valuable SA and BA lists.

Since OS recently adjusted the BA to start in 1973 (ASM 121), this has relegated the 1970-to-mid-1973 comics to the SA, but OS has not deleted GL/GA 76 from the "Most Valuable" BA list, while adding it to the SA list.

So the comic appears on both, which is bizarre and illogical, so OS needs to delete the duplicate/erroneous entry from the BA list. I think starting the BA at 1973 is insane, but since Bob put forth that directive, he needs to stick to that edict in his various lists.

Please add any other errors you can find and hopefully Bob can stay awake long enough to fix a few of them.

Since OS recently adjusted the BA to start in 1973 (ASM 121), this has relegated the 1970-to-mid-1973 comics to the SA,

When the hell did THIS happen? And upon whose authority (was it actually Bob?) What happened to Conan 1. Spotlight 2 and 5? Swamp Thing? The anti-heroes? These are now relegated to not only SA but to the expiring side of SA? That is ridiculous.

seems pretty sloppy & without cause to me.

"sloppy and without cause" - I LIKE THAT! And true as well. It reminds me of Overstreet's ridiculous use of terms to define what are actually horror comics. As I posted in September of 2003 on these very boards:

"I had forgotten about my similar complaint about OS coming up with Fantasy, Supernatural and Horror designations, allowing EC to take 1st place in Horror even though the REAL FIRST ALL HORROR COMIC was the Avon Eerie #1 1-shot from 1947. OS made THAT one the first "Supernatural" comic. And, in a strange reverse twist, they ignored the ATLAS (post-Timely) first Marvel Tales (93) and specified "Horror/Weird Stories began" although they began in 1949. And what about the 1948 Adventures Into The Unknown #1 which they bill as "1st continuing Supernatural series". So we have what actually are HORROR COMCIS from 1947, 1948 and 1949 all ignored and inaccuratley attributed to absolutely ridiculous "Supernatural" and "Weird" categories just to allow the two EC books - Vault Of Horror 12 and Crypt Of Terror 17 - both from 1950 to be tied for "first horror comic"."

This has not been corrected from last year's OS, as per a thread on the BA forums:

1) GL/GA 76 appears on both the Most Valuable SA and BA lists.

Since OS recently adjusted the BA to start in 1973 (ASM 121), this has relegated the 1970-to-mid-1973 comics to the SA, but OS has not deleted GL/GA 76 from the "Most Valuable" BA list, while adding it to the SA list.

So the comic appears on both, which is bizarre and illogical, so OS needs to delete the duplicate/erroneous entry from the BA list. I think starting the BA at 1973 is insane, but since Bob put forth that directive, he needs to stick to that edict in his various lists.

Please add any other errors you can find and hopefully Bob can stay awake long enough to fix a few of them.

GL/GA #76 is not on the most valuable SA list; although it is on the BA list.

Where did you see it printed on both lists? (shrug)

Agreed, the EC bias is BS through & through. I buy The Classics Illustrated arguement more than Crypt of terror.

In thinking back and re-reading those old posts regarding Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (and Frankenstein can be used here too) from Classics Illustrated - well they really were not Horror but Science Fiction. The basis of both films were in science. Bill Warren, author of KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES and other excellent books on the film genre, makes a very strong case for this and I do subscribe to it.

And Advs. Into the Unknown #1 is SO Under rated!

I know. I got my copy in the late 80's from ChooChoo Comics in Chatanooga, TN. He sent me a box of precodes on approval and said there was one book I would be pretty surprised at. ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN #1 was the one.

Anyone remember ChooChoo Comics? Can find little trace of them nowadays.

:) sounds nice.

Actually it is nice. I'd say it is good to be chatting with you as well but some wag here will be highly creative and take 27 minutes to think up "Get a room". Then that same wag will say ""It only took me 24 minutes to think that one up." (I can go on for many more iterations shaving off minutes or even seconds on that scenario!) :grin: